• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

YAK-3 From Russia with...

Holly cow . I would not want to try that . I have seen too many people on the VVS site try it, and it winds up in disagreements quite often.
It must be a very technical language .

Seems to me Saul told me he could read Russian.

I'm reading the English text from people that may or may not understand all they think they know about the Russian language .

Cheers, Christian B)

Just a bit of fiddling today . Strut scisors and brake lines are installed.

yak_brakes_001a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Well, do you think they masked it off when painting? Surely they replaced a brake line or two after it was painted. Much like the photo at IMPS Stockholm of the SBD with two different color landing gear (which would probably be knocked out of a competition) they likely would not worry about what color the brake line was.

I think it would be far more interisting if it were not the same color.

:popcorn

I was referring to the clamps Bob. They don't necessarily get changed.

Back in those day many things were painted by brush, so it's hard to guess.

Speaking of differences, I keep thinking of Phantoms . Sometimes when we changed out a strut it might have been white, silver or green .
And my favorite, are the tires which are always represented as nice and new. The fact was, they seem to make way more sorties after the thread were totally gone than when they were visible :rotf Somehow a fact overlooked by all the modelers. :smack

Cheers, Christian B)

Well, do you think they masked it off when painting? Surely they replaced a brake line or two after it was painted. Much like the photo at IMPS Stockholm of the SBD with two different color landing gear (which would probably be knocked out of a competition) they likely would not worry about what color the brake line was.

I think it would be far more interisting if it were not the same color.

:popcorn

The struts were likely painted before other bits and pieces ( clamps & hoses ) were attached , but who knows what happened thereafter ? :hmmm They could also be painted and highlighted .

We need an emoticon flipping a coin :unsure:

Cheers, Christian B)

I think I would do the clamps in NM because the pneumatics are surely braided or rubber hose and it would go on after the fact. If they were metal hoses I could see the whole thing being painted although I know we still paint everything stripped of extras.
James

I think I would do the clamps in NM because the pneumatics are surely braided or rubber hose and it would go on after the fact. If they were metal hoses I could see the whole thing being painted although I know we still paint everything stripped of extras.
James

True, that's how I think of it :good: The part that puzzles me is that these two tone gray birds required frequent repainting . Not sure how that was accomplished .
Guess I could go with a fairly fresh bird .

Cheers, Christian B)

James

True, that's how I think of it :good: The part that puzzles me is that these two tone gray birds required frequent repainting . Not sure how that was accomplished .
Guess I could go with a fairly fresh bird .

Cheers, Christian B)

Good grief but getting to here has been a tricky journey .

I had to try everything I know to be able to get these clamps and lines assembled . Guess I should have thought of the Heating duct tape first but did not... :idonno

at which time I could not deal with the chrome look of the clamps.
After looking at a yak in a museum , the metal looks more like steel , so I again went through everything I know to tame that down.
Should just have gone to the Mig enamel wash or overcoated them with Tamiya primmer and painted them a steel color :frantic

yak_struts_002a.jpg

Anyhow, I got to here . Even had to take the picture with a colored background as the white just made the auto features in the camera take poor pictures . :coolio

Anyhow, here they are . Cheers, Christian B)

Those do look good Chris!

I found that the wood grain background I use works well. Plain white or black buggers the photos too much. Also the bit of variance seems to help as well.

Thank you guys for coming by here :) The new superglue applicators are working quite well .

Bob, quit gawking at my legs ... :rotf

Cheers, Christian

Back