• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

YAK-3 From Russia with...

I managed to mix some grays an shoot them this morning using 91% alcohol .

Went on very smooth... :zen

Yak_grays_001a.jpg

Cheers, Christian

yeah but it's just grey right? :coolio :rotf :pilot

Only if you suffer from color blindness or if you do monochrome photography (y) They are actually blue colors.

On the other hand, no bottle of Panzer gray were abused...

Cheers, Christian

Looks pretty awesome Christian-- the Yak-3s are my favorite Soviet fighter from WWII-- look like little race cars to me...

Thanks Mike . It is a very slick airframe . and built on the same principle as the Bearcat .
Lightest airframe built around the most powerful engine.

Cheers, Christian B)

I got hung up in loops when doing both my Il-2 and Pe-8 over colors. In the end I mixed my own which resulted in a lot of wasted paint until I finally got to where I wanted to be. They looked good to me but may be no closer to reality than any of the off the shelf colors. In the end who is going to argue or provide proof positive that what you used is wrong. Satisfy yourself and to heck with the egg spurts ! :tomato
You have my vote. I tend to SWAG my colors. Even the model paint makers can't get the "colors" correct.

BTW Keep up the excellent work, Chris. :v Gary

I got hung up in loops when doing both my Il-2 and Pe-8 over colors. In the end I mixed my own which resulted in a lot of wasted paint until I finally got to where I wanted to be. They looked good to me but may be no closer to reality than any of the off the shelf colors. In the end who is going to argue or provide proof positive that what you used is wrong. Satisfy yourself and to heck with the egg spurts ! :tomato
You have my vote. I tend to SWAG my colors. Even the model paint makers can't get the "colors" correct.

BTW Keep up the excellent work, Chris. :v Gary

Thanks Gary . :good: Very encouraging word indeed . I appreciate that .

No one seems to be in agreement with these colors and apparently they don't match any FS specs either .

Two things I have concluded on ( from existing period pictures ) is that they are quite dark .
Secondly it appears that they are from a blue paint family as they work together quite well. Unlike the earlier application that was suggested :huh:

These two seem more in harmony with each other since the same blue was used in the base mix. Who know, some day I might even get descent at mixing paints :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Today, I was hoping to paint the lower blue paint but I discovered a couple of sags in the Future coat.

Yak_Future__001a.jpg

So, had to fix it and now I'm back to watching it cure again :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Wonderful Christian.

I might get on a sabbatical, fly over to NC and learn something from you directly.... :notworthy :notworthy

As for the discussion on the colours, it is widely known that "Color blindness" is one the extreme range of a fairly common, normal variation of colour perception in all humans. That means, everyone perceives Color a bit differently than the other person. It is a normal Distribution (Gauss curve), but there are all ranges of perception between the 5% and 95% percentile. No one can therefore be "absolutely sure" of one colour or another.

Cheers

Alex[/quoA rather fascinating subject to me . Since I have never have any problems passing any of the color blindness test...Just how does one know where they fall between the 5 & 95 % in that curve ....Who knows, I could be A B normal :rotf .

At any rate , black and white pictures vary a lot but one can get an idea from the contrast in the shades as long as there is an idea of the original colors . Matrix does very well.

Anyhow, in my mind . If I can reproduce a color that I saw an original of in person , then that shade should be correct no matter what anyone else sees... :soldier At least, that's my theory :D Of course getting it right is not always possible ( just pretend it's a grenade ) .

Ok, I may be able to post pictures within the next week ( I hope )

Cheers, Christian B)

Common down Alex. I think that could be an interesting conversation (y) and If we cam't agree, we'll go do something else :drinks Cheers, Christian B)

:sick: Holly cow, when I unmasked the red nose there were tape mark that seemed to just be melted in the paint.

Not sure what happened but I think perhaps the Coats of Future were not sufficiently cured and reacted to the glue on the tape :idonno

Fast forward three weeks of beach vacation and family visit followed by trying to return to a normal life and I forgot to take a picture of the damage :blush:

Wet sanding of the nose was necessary to remove the damage and of course caused collateral Damage :frantic

Anyhow, repainted nose

New_paint_028A.jpg

I think I just found a good use for Saran wrap

new_paint__003a.jpg

Both sides had the grays touched up and the lower color got it's final shape.

new_paint_005a.jpg

It's been a busy day but a good day :coolio I hope to get some Future on it tomorrow .

Cheers, Christian B)

Wow, that looks striking with the red nose! :woohoo:

and like the others said, flawless save with the paint! (y)

Nice touching up Chris!

Makes you wonder what's so toxic in the Saran Wrap...that we put our food in... :idonno

Nice touching up Chris!

Makes you wonder what's so toxic in the Saran Wrap...that we put our food in... :idonno

Don't know that there is. It just seems to cling to itself.

We use press and seal now days but it left marks on the paint that had to be rubbed off.

The tape was the problem :)

Cheers, Christian B)

Good recovery. Annoying that the future didnt cure enough chris. Still she looks great.
James

Good recovery. Annoying that the future didnt cure enough chris. Still she looks great.
James

I agree James , very annoying. :blush: but it appeared to be quite cured :idonno

That being said, I'm experimenting with brushing it on rather than spraying it , plus I did a second coat after the required 24 Hours...

It does come a lot more shinny .

Waiting on a cure now before decals :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

Back