• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

YAK-3 From Russia with...

Been following along....this is very nice. :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee

Been following along....this is very nice. :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee

Welcome on board and .Thank you for the kind words.

All the main pieces have been glued together . This is the best single wing to fuselage fit I have ever had ...
:coolio

Yak_wings_002a.jpg

No real sanding needed.

YAk_wings_001a.jpg

But the frond and rear will need some adjusting, so everything is masked so as to keep the dust out of it.

Picked up some gluing tools while I was out . Will be trial and error but at least I will not get any complaints from the better half :drinks

Yak_wings_003a.jpg

The kit came with two canopies and this one is not a perfect fit :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

Nice, Chris I uses sowing needles also, you can use different size ones depending on the application, gap filling get the big one, fine tuning use the itty bitty one.

Everything is lining up just great :popcorn

Got a sheet of these-- they ought to last forever as you basically do what James suggested and burn off the excess with a lighter,...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1544910445/the-glue-looper-version-3

Thanks Mike . I saw something like these at the IPMS show . Not sure if it was identical but got distracted by something else :frantic

Looks awfully big for 1/72 but don't want to make a decision on a picture alone .

One thing for sure is that a tool upgrade would be a plus.

Cheers, Christian B)

They come on a fret with small, medium, and large loops. I can take a picture of them for you tomorrow to give an idea- although it looks like you might be set with your needles there ;)

Ok, I found another couple necessary adjustments that were needed . Gonna blow the dust out and start assembling :soldier

Yak_interior_assy_007.jpg

yak_interior_assy_006a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

THAT is some incredible work Sir! That IS 1/72, right? I would feel good to have that level of detail in 1/32!

Sorry to disappoint Bruce . This is one of my few 1/48 kits .

Even so, it was tricky to do . The eduard fit is just not that accurate . I would be extremely chalenge to do this well in 1/72 ... :blush:

Cheers, Christian B)

Even if that is 1/48 that is some pretty amazing detail Chris!! Love it!!

Keep it up!

:popcorn

Ok, I found another couple necessary adjustments that were needed . Gonna blow the dust out and start assembling :soldier

Yak_interior_assy_007.jpg

yak_interior_assy_006a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

THAT is some incredible work Sir! That IS 1/72, right? I would feel good to have that level of detail in 1/32!

Thanks Warren . Doing a bit of sanding and research on engine panel fasteners this week :coolio Not getting very far .
It seems like my dance card got very filled up this week . :frantic

Cheers, Christian B)

Sorry to disappoint Bruce . This is one of my few 1/48 kits .

Even so, it was tricky to do . The eduard fit is just not that accurate . I would be extremely chalenge to do this well in 1/72 ... :blush:

Cheers, Christian B)

Even if that is 1/48 that is some pretty amazing detail Chris!! Love it!!

Keep it up!

:popcorn

Yo man...NOT disappointed at all! the work is fantastic! I do find it odd that the seat in that aircraft seems so small, almost looks like it needs rocker feet and legs to be on a typical pre-war porch in the US-Midwest

Yo man...NOT disappointed at all! the work is fantastic! I do find it odd that the seat in that aircraft seems so small, almost looks like it needs rocker feet and legs to be on a typical pre-war porch in the US-Midwest

:idonno Hmm , some things to consider .

This is a fairly small plane . Closer to European that US built .

It is a real bucket seat with a back rest .

The plastic has been whittled down to a more realistic thickness :coolio

The last item in itself would make it look bigger if I had gone with the kit's 2x4 construction style :blush:

Thanks for watching :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Here I am with what I usually consider to be the toughest part of the show... :fencing

It took two tries to make and bend this oil cooler flap . You'd think it would come with the PE :bang head

Yak_cooler_001a.jpg

Anyhow, equally as unpleasant is gluing it into place.

Yak_cooler_002a.jpg

So, here's is today's lesson.

1 . The tube glue is a gel ( from Harbor freight ) It allows time for difficult to position parts .

Fell off at first bump :blush:

2 . Second attempt . extreme bond from Hobby Lobby .

Fell off at first bump also :sick:

3 . Mr Mike's glue (y) That thing is on there like a piece of granite .

The first two glues bonded with the plastic but not the metal part. Not so supper after all.

I know my preference for these type joints from now on... :pilot

Cheers, Christian B)

Here I am with what I usually consider to be the toughest part of the show... :fencing

It took two tries to make and bend this oil cooler flap . You'd think it would come with the PE :bang head

Yak_cooler_001a.jpg

Anyhow, equally as unpleasant is gluing it into place.

Yak_cooler_002a.jpg

So, here's is today's lesson.

1 . The tube glue is a gel ( from Harbor freight ) It allows time for difficult to position parts .

Fell off at first bump :blush:

2 . Second attempt . extreme bond from Hobby Lobby .

Fell off at first bump also :sick:

3 . Mr Mike's glue (y) That thing is on there like a piece of granite .

The first two glues bonded with the plastic but not the metal part. Not so supper after all.

I know my preference for these type joints from now on... :pilot

Cheers, Christian B)

Immortal words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-UycJ70D4Y

From Major League.

Dr Mike's and Gorilla Super Glue are the only two CA adhesives on my bench, the rest are wannabees.

:good:

Not much opportunity for modeling this weekend but there has been some progress .

The engine cover has been fitted ( it was large ) and installed .

The horizontal stabilizers are nearly done.

Canopy pieces are Futured and curing . all the nav lights have been made .

Prop bits are ready for paint > Nearly ready for primer :soldier

Yak_prep_001a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Bob and Alex for the encouraging words :good:

Fooling around with multiple things right now :frantic

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks for looking in Luiz . :good:

I was starting to think I would never get this thing ready for primer :bang head

However, I did :soldier

yak_update_001a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Back