• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Zvezda Yak-130

Skinny_Mike

Hi everyone! Time to get you all up to date on my current project. This is going to be the 1/48 scale Zvezda Yak-130. I’ve never built a kit from Zvezda, but all the reviews I could find seemed to indicate that this is a pretty good kit, so I thought I would give it a try. The only other option is quarter scale is a Kitty Hawk offering, but I have enough of their kits in the pipeline right now, so here we are.

Pic 1_1.jpg

For those that don’t know, and I was one of them, the Yak-130, NATO call sign Mitten, is the latest generation training aircraft for the Russian Air Force. It is capable of mimicking the latest Russian fighter, including the Su-35. The aircraft is also a competent air to ground platform being capable of carrying rockets bombs and the AA-11 short range air to air missiles. Here are some pictures I pulled from the web, for discussion purposes.

Yak-130.jpg

d27c73750e5e712f3b6ab4d7184fe9c5.jpg

80c22e3fa554e81d5a5a58039a5dd9c3.jpg

Here’s a quick shot of the box contents

Pic 1_2.jpg

Followed by the aftermarket I plan to use.

Pic 1_3.jpg

Nothing too exciting, Reskit wheels and the B-8M1 and B-13L, Montex Masks for the inside and the outside of the canopy, and the Quinta Studio cockpit set. For those that do not know about the Qunita Studio sets, these are 3D printed resin sets that are full color. I was interested in seeing how they worked and this was as good a kit as any. It does need to be stated, there are not decals. The Edward rocket launchers are not as good in my opinion as the Reskit, so they went to the spares box.

My plan is to do the blue and gray camo scheme using MRP paints.

Pic 1_4.jpg

Alright, like every airplane kit, we started with the cockpit. There is a one piece tub with the side wall details molded on, a front and rear bulkhead and the front and rear instrument panels.

Pic 1_5.jpg

To install the Quinta parts, you need to remove all of the cockpit details which I did prior to painting. I decided to not replace the display screens, because they are in a bit of a difficult spot and I figured it was easy enough to paint and gloss coat them. Once all the detail was removed, I painted the pit in MRP Sukhoi Cockpit Blue-Grey. Then it was given a wash in a dirty gray color before adding all the resin parts. Here’s the finished product.

Pic 1_6.jpg

The blue’s of course don’t match but I have seen reference photos of the Yak with mis-matched colors so I am ok with it. The underside of the cockpit tub makes up the roof of the nose gear bay. I painted all the parts in MRP Light Grey-Blue, which is for Russian cockpits and wheel bays, then did all the detail painting before assembling the walls into the gear bay. I’m not sure why I bothered as most of the gear doors are closed when this plane is sitting on the ground but its good practice anyway.

Pic 1_7.jpg

Then the finished pit was sandwiched between the front fuselage halves. I wasn’t sure if it was going to be a tail sitter, so I put some weight in the nose just in case.

Pic 1_8.jpg

Next up is the intakes. For the record – I HATE INTAKES. I will spend the money to replace them every time I can. I hate trying to get them to be seamless, and these were no different. In fact they were worse the most. Zvezda made these up of five different parts in an effort to match the very complex shape. They nailed the shape, but these are a giant paint to get all the seams out of. Luckily they can be built in a U shape so that you can have access to the seams.

Pic 1_9.jpg

I used Tamiya putty in the hopes it wouldn’t shrink too much as it dried like an acrylic putty would. After a little bit of elbow grease I got the intakes done and ready for paint.

Pic 1_10.jpg

I primered the intakes with Mr Finish Surfacer 1500 and after about 4 dozen rounds of putty/sand/primer (did I mention I hate intakes) I finally got them smoothed out and painted them in Tamiya Gloss White and the compressor blades in Ammo Flat Aluminum. At the same time I painted the top piece for the intakes.

Pic 1_11.jpg

Then everything got assembled. There are a bunch of parts that make up the main landing gear bays and a bulkhead where the forward fuselage will attach.

Pic 1_12.jpg

And then we found disaster. Unfortunately, the seam in one of the intakes split. It just can’t be easy. There is another piece that makes part of the front lip, so I get it all cleaned up together.

Pic 1_13.jpg

Well, there we are. I’ve gotten past the parts I despise the most so should be clear sailing from here.

See you all soon!
Mike

Looks like a job for the skinny sanding sticks that can be had these days.

Keep up the good work Mike! :good: So far so good! I have found that fixing the "disasters" sometimes makes a better model and makes me a better model maker.

Hey guys, been a long time since I updated this thread. I had a few problems with the intakes and the fit in that area and it really strained my desire to keep moving. But I persevered and finally moved on. And I have some fairly significant progress to share.

Once I finally had the intakes completed, I assembled the fuselage and finished the main landing gear bays. The fuselage is assembled by adding the left and right sides around the intake assembly. These also include the top of the fuselage and the tail. The gear bays are finished in MRP-49 light grey blue for Russian landing gear and I used various acrylics for the details. Most of this won’t be seen because the Yak-130 has the gear door closed when parked on the ground, but I figured I would get all of it just in case.

Pic 2_1.jpg

Then I added the center section of the lower fuselage. Zvezda gives you option on how to display the gear bays and there are alternate parts if you want to have all the doors open or not. I chose to have them all buttoned up, so I used the piece with the other two gear doors molded closed. No worry about misaligned parts that way. I also painted and added the engine exhausts at this point. They have to be installed before you close up the fuselage as the shapes prevent you from sliding them in place later.

Pic 2_2.jpg

Once that was complete, the forward and aft fuselage sections were mated together. Dry fitting the upper fuselage part showed that there was pretty significant interference with the structures around the fold down intake FOD guards and the upper intakes. I had to do some significant plastic removal to make this all fit well, and it still resulted in a few gaps in places, and the FOD guards don’t fit exactly flush with the top of the fuselage. I did a bunch of research and didn’t find any mention of these issues in any other builds so I am guessing I assembled something a little bit off. I’m not sure, but if you plan to build this kit, this is an area to watch.

Pic 2_3.jpg

Once this area had dried and cured really well, I attached the upper fuselage which has the upper wing half molded as one piece. Then the lower wings were added. There were some small gaps that had to be dealt with but nothing too bad and epoxy putty clean it all right up.

Pic 2_4.jpg

Once that was done, I moved onto paint. I forgot to take any pictures of each step, but I first primed in Mr Surfacer 1500 Gray. Then I cleaned up any issues I found. I followed this by painting the radomes and antenna panels in either Tamiya White or MRP Dark Gray for Russian Radomes. The antennas were masked and the camouflage was sprayed. First the light blue (MRP-297), then light grey (MRP 296) followed by Blue (MRP-298). These are MRPs colors for the Su-30, Su-35 and Yak-130 camo. The camo was painted freehand using my Badger Renegade Krome airbrush.

Pic 2_5.jpg

Pic 2_6.jpg

These paints take a little practice to get right and its easy to over spray and get pooling. But with care they turn out really nice. The light grey color does not show up well against the light blue. I think this is because I sprayed the light blue over the entire model and then sprayed the grey and dark blue over the top. I watched Matt at Doogs Models YouTube channel using the same paints to spray his Su-35, but each color over a black base and the gray is much more saturated. I suspect that’s what I need to do next time. Once the paint cured I sprayed a nice layer of Tamiya X-22 clear to prep for decals.

Next step is the decals. I used the kit decals for this build and I think they are printed by Begemot which I believe is a Russian decal company. They certainly seem to specialize in Russian subjects. I struggled with the decals here as well. They didn’t want to slide around on the model once they were places and I had a touch time getting them to tuck into panel lines. I ended up losing a few along the way. Mostly stencils that I can live without, but I also lost the black walkway lines that are supposed to go, rather prominently, on the tops of the wings. Just another struggle with this kit. I ended up using Ammo by Mig’s Decal Set which seemed to have some effect on the decals.

Pic 2_7.jpg

Pic 2_8.jpg

Pic 2_9.jpg

Once the decals had a chance to fully dry, I sprayed a coat of Vallejo Satin Varnish. I debated doing a panel line wash but decided against it for two reasons. The first, all of the pictures of this aircraft that I can find it is very clean. They are pretty new, so it could be that or because they are training aircraft maybe they are pretty well maintained. The other reason was because I couldn’t decided on a good wash color that was subtle enough on all three paint colors to actually mimic the fairly clean airframes. So I decided to stay with none. Looks good enough for me, which I believe is all that matters.

After the satin varnish the masking was removed.

Pic 2_10.jpg

Next step will be to get the landing gear done, so I can get her on her legs and then add all the fiddley bits. I haven’t included them in any pictures but the flaps, horizontal tails and wing pylons are all done as well and well be added once I get her standing on her own.

Thanks for looking in. I feel like I am on the home stretch now. Really trying to get this done in the next week or so. Fingers crossed.
Mike

Looking nice. I agree the MRP paints take a little getting used to, but since they go down pretty thin, they really let you "build up" the color to allow for variances in the finish if that is what you are looking for. Certainly not a 1 coat application. I'm really digging them though. Speaking of...need to order some for the RAF Green on the Mustang.

Looking nice. I agree the MRP paints take a little getting used to, but since they go down pretty thin, they really let you "build up" the color to allow for variances in the finish if that is what you are looking for. Certainly not a 1 coat application. I'm really digging them though. Speaking of...need to order some for the RAF Green on the Mustang.
Agreed, in fact with them require thin coates, it helps cover up any mess ups.

Thanks everyone. Working on some of the detail parts now. Hopefully an update coming soon.

That looks gorgeous. One technique I heard about and subsequently tried for a seamless intake is to tape off one end of the trunk. Then pour some latex white household paint into the intake until it is full. Let it sit for a few minutes and then remove the tape allowing the paint to drain back into the can. Hang it vertically over some news paper or towel and let it dry completely for a few days. The latex paint fills the seam (as long as it not a huge gap) and fits like a glove. You may have to trim off some paint at the bottom of the intake, but it should be overall a nice seamless finish. I tried it once on a F-16 kit. I'll have to try and find the kit to see how it has weathered all these years. Hopefully maybe of use.
James

Hey guys, time for an update on the Yak-130.

The next steps was to get the landing gear done so I could add all the finished assemblies. The main gear is pretty straight forward. Its molded as a single piece for the left side and the right side and each side has a couple of linkages that go into the gear bays. I pulled all the parts off the trees, cleaned them up and they were painted in MRP light blue gray just like the gear bays. I also assembled the rather complex nose gear and that was also painted in the same blue gray. The wheels came from Reskit and are 3D printed. The wheels were popped of their stubs and painted in MRP tire black. The main wheel hubs were painted in Russian Wheel Hub Green from Xtracolor.

The main gear are different for each side, so I had to keep the parts separate until installation.

Pic 3_1.jpg

And installed

Pic 3_4.jpg

Next step was the weapons. I decided to arm this little plane with B-8M1 rocket launchers, FAB-250M-54 bombs and AA-11 Archer air to air missiles. I’ve only found one photo of a Yak with the 250 kg bombs instead of the B13 rocket launchers. I went with it though, to be different. The Archers came from the kit, the bombs and rocket launchers are from ResKit.

Pic 3_2.jpg

And the weapons assembled and painted. The bombs were painted Tamiya Medium Sea Gray (there are some variations, but this is closest to the most common grey), The archers were MRP Navy White (I think), and the B-8s are Alclad Aluminum for the body and Alclad Magnesium for the front section.

Pic 3_3.jpg

These were mounted to the pylons for installation. I also finished the landing gear doors and all of it was installed.

Pic 3_5.jpg

Once all of that sat, I added all the tiny bits to the front of the airplane and removed the masking from the front windscreen.

Pic 3_6.jpg

This was when I found the most glaring problem with my build. Apparently when I installed the front windscreen, glue got between the clear part and the glare shield and left this ugly blemish.

Pic 3_7.jpg

Yuck. This thing just keeps fighting back. Not much I can do about it, or frankly care to do about it, so let’s just move on.

Once I had the plane on her feet, I added the airbrake in the up position. I am not one to have things like this open on my builds, but I couldn’t get the piece to fit in the recess and be flush with the upper skin at all. So, I gave up and went with open.

Pic 3_8.jpg

Next assemblies were the ejection seats. I always use aftermarket seats for my jet models. They are complex little assemblies that have a ton of detail that is rarely ever captured in the base kit. Unfortunately, the Yak-130 uses the K-36L-3.5Ya seat which is a lightweight version of the standard K-36D-3.5 seats and there are no aftermarket ones that I could find in 1/48. The lightweight seat is also used in the Su-35 as a point of interest. This left me with the kit seats and the Quinta upgrades for the seat. Here are the kit parts, assembled and painted in AK Real Colors NATO Black.

Pic 3_9.jpg

The cushions are separate parts for the kit seats, and they were left off to be replaced. Once the paint was dry, I added the Quinta Studios parts to the seats using a combo of CA glue and MIG Ultra Glue.

Pic 3_10.jpg

They look ok, but a little toy like in my opinion. If I weathered them up a little it might be better. The straps are not great in my opinion either. But it’s better than the very plain kit representations. Don't get me wrong though, I love the Quinta Studios details in the cockpit and will be using them again, but the seats just don't do it for me. Anyway, here are the seats installed.

Pic 3_11.jpg

That is all for now. I have the canopy left to go. Unfortunately, the masks for the inside pulled off some of the paint when they were removed, so I need to re-mask and repaint it. Then I can add the few parts and install it. I’ve ordered a new set of masks and will have to wait for those to arrive. Then we will get this one finished. Hopefully they don’t take too long.

Overall, this build has been a challenge the whole way. Some of it is the kit, some of it was me and all of it has really kept my motivation on this project low. But I am going to get it done. It’s not the worst build I’ve ever had, and I never planned for it to be a show winner.

More to come. Thanks for looking and for all the comments. It’s very much appreciated!
Mike

That looks gorgeous. One technique I heard about and subsequently tried for a seamless intake is to tape off one end of the trunk. Then pour some latex white household paint into the intake until it is full. Let it sit for a few minutes and then remove the tape allowing the paint to drain back into the can. Hang it vertically over some news paper or towel and let it dry completely for a few days. The latex paint fills the seam (as long as it not a huge gap) and fits like a glove. You may have to trim off some paint at the bottom of the intake, but it should be overall a nice seamless finish. I tried it once on a F-16 kit. I'll have to try and find the kit to see how it has weathered all these years. Hopefully maybe of use.
James
Thank you James. I have tried the latex paint technique a few times with mixed results, but when its right, it looks great!

Wow your project is looking supurb! This is quite a sexy little plane, been eyeing it out for a while now so this is a very welcome thread. So far, whats your take on the kit in general?

Wow your project is looking supurb! This is quite a sexy little plane, been eyeing it out for a while now so this is a very welcome thread. So far, whats your take on the kit in general?

Aw shucks! Thanks. I'm a little on the fence with this kit. I believe this to be an accurate representation of the aircraft and there are some cool features, like the optional parts depending on how you want to display the finished build. But I really struggled with the center fuselage section and the intakes and the various doors did not fit well in the closed positions. Also, the canopy is too wide to fit closed, at least that's what the dry fitting has shown. I'm not sure if it will improve when the assembly is done.

I think I would say, its an alright kit that takes some skill effort and patience to get the most from.

Mike

Back