• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

YAK-3 From Russia with...

phantom II

Master at Arms
From Russia with extreme prejudice :bat Comes the YAK-3

The Yakovlev Yak-3 was a World War II Soviet fighter aircraft. Robust and easy to maintain, it was much liked by pilots and ground crew alike.
It was one of the smallest and lightest major combat fighters fielded by any combatant during the war, and its high power-to-weight ratio gave it excellent performance.
It proved a formidable dogfighter. Marcel Albert, a French ace, who flew the Yak in USSR with the Normandie-Niémen Group, considered it a superior aircraft to the P-51D Mustang and the Supermarine Spitfire .

YAK-3_decals_001a.jpg

The build started by replacing the poor interior detail with round stock

and adding plenty of tabs to make fiddling with both haves easier while fitting of the interior was taking place.

yak-3_002a.jpg

yak-3_003a.jpg

yak-3_004a.jpg

yak-3_005a.jpg

The wheel wells were next . Again, soft details, so more was added.

YAK_wheel_well_001a~1.jpg

First some ribs , followed by what I believe were air lines.

yak_wells_002a.jpg

Really a lot of fiddling around figuring how to make the ribs.

Installing the lines were no better but I have learned a couple of things here as well.

yak_wells_001a.jpg

If you secure the wire with blue tack at one end, you can adjust and glue the other without using a lot of profanity :) . Wish someone had shown me this years ago.

Next, I decided to tackle another missing detail .

yak_wells_003a.jpg

Not as nice as the factory job but I hope that some paint and the closing of the wings will make them look convincing enough.

Cheers, Christian B)

Ok, you guys are just too fast. I was not even done with the posting :rotf

I reloaded a couple pictures that failed to post the first time :idonno

Luiz it's an Eduard kit . Not sure if it's original or a rebox . There is little available for it but I found some things for Zvesda.

Cheers, Christian B)

Great project, Christian. Looking forward to seeing what (else) you do with it.

Ian.

Great project, Christian. Looking forward to seeing what (else) you do with it.

Ian.

Thank you " project " is a good choice of words . Not saying it's a bad kit but as you can see it's really simplified.

Since it came from a club raffle we'll see if I can do something with it :idonno

One of the members told me I could build it box stock . I have no idea what he was thinking :facepalm

Cheers, Christian B)

Very Cool Chris. Love the mods so far. Will watch with interest as it is a pretty bird.
James

I'm betting it's a repop, just have that Eduard feeling. Think most of the eduard original is that brownish color plastic, you know, the one that doesn't fit with their aftermarket? :bang head

You gonna use your new found paints on this? :popcorn

Thanks Mike, James, Bob.

There's a good Many VVS birds I really like but I think this one is the most elegant of all .
Really like the LA series but the 5 & T series look more brutish.
The TU-2 in the twins is my fav but alas there's not a good kit yet :(

Thanks James... Shot some paint tonight, thought about closing the wings soon and them realized I have not addressed the fuel gages yet :frantic Gonna have to do more figuring on that one....They are just too obvious :facepalm

I know what you mean Bob . I just have not seen the review that links another brand to this bird yet.
As to your paint question, it's a yes & no answer.
Using AKah paint but from a set several years old . Nearly dried up. Glad I understand acrylics better now than when I bought these.
Everyone has said to thin with water only , But I used water some VA thinner and a bit of Future . Sprayed nicely :good:

The reason I did not use the new set is because each bottle has to be deciphered by the color chart ( on VVS ) and it does bot include the interior color as I had hoped :bang head .
I know I will use them but still need to figure what for at this time :soldier

yak_interior_001a.jpg

A coat of Future is next. Cheer, Christian B)

You know there is always something to learn. I never thought about adding tabs but what great idea :)

Thanks Saul.
Chris I just copied the picture of the fuel guages and used pasted them to Word and then resized to about 1/72. All you see is a black center and ring No printing or needle. You're not going to see a lot.
James

What fuel gauges Chris?

While not Chris, I can state that he is referring to those found on the wing (visible from the cockpit to the pilot):

This is one of a few, click image to read article.

Regards,

While you're not even Raul .... as I remember :rotf

Great picture Saul thanks .

I have some colored PE, so that might work differently . Will have to put on my thinking hat on after lunch .

Decals would probably be easier to be honest.

Thanks for the inputs . Cheers, Christian B)

Back