• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

YAK-3 From Russia with...

Very nice master!

I will look more carefully at your post and Pictures in due time. But at first glance brilliant Job!!
(y)

Alex

Not much of a post but I think I have the answer to making the fuel gages .

A derelict Hurricane provided the wing for the experiment . Only took five tries and a few more ideas that didn't get far at all.

yak_gage_test_004b.jpg

Three different tries here alone . The white disk looks successful to me . All that's missing is some black paint and a decal . ( I have no spares :unsure: )

Will try to get it done as I get a bit of time... :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

What fuel gauges Chris?

While not Chris,

While you're not even Raul .... as I remember

True, I am not Raul but many think you are indeed Chris: ;)

Great job,Chris

One of my favorite Soviet fighters from the Great War-- looking good so far Chris!

Dear Chris.

Very Cool Chris.

What fuel gauges Chris?

Using AKah paint but from a set several years old

AKAH is Cyrillic for Akan as in Akanikhin, the owner's surname.
:coolio

Regards,

Need to put request in for someone to make a decal or maybe a dry transfer?

Hopefully I'll not need anymore than what I have available Bob.

If this does not work I will evoke the statement from the guy with the Bunny fighter shirt since he said they would replace the effective sheet that came with the kit ( all the red markings are actually pink ).

Cheers, Christian. B)

What fuel gauges Chris?

While not Chris,

While you're not even Raul .... as I remember

True, I am not Raul but many think you are indeed Chris: ;)

Great job,Chris

One of my favorite Soviet fighters from the Great War-- looking good so far Chris!

Indeed , some people think I am Chris even though you are still not Raul . Strange how anesthesia messes up your mind weeks after the surgery . Don't think I'll ever forget that one. :rotf
I have to say I have been called a lot of different things by the way....Not good to have a strange name in the US.

Dear Chris.

Very Cool Chris.

What fuel gauges Chris?

Using AKah paint but from a set several years old

AKAH is Cyrillic for Akan as in Akanikhin, the owner's surname.
:coolio

Regards,

I have found that name to be confusing simply because it goes back and forth depending where you see it.
Good paints though (y) no matter the spelling.

Cheers, Christian B)

You are not wasting any time on this one, I used the decal on my kit but created a recess for it. I probably used an end mill, been almost 8 years so I not clear on details, put the decal in place then covered it with a clear disk that I punched. Yeah, I know most folks don't have an end mill laying around. A drill bit will work but you would either need to fill the part that is cone shaped with filler or a punched styrene disk or drill clear through and back fill to the proper depth.

yak3-12gauge.jpg

You are not wasting any time on this one, I used the decal on my kit but created a recess for it. I probably used an end mill, been almost 8 years so I not clear on details, put the decal in place then covered it with a clear disk that I punched. Yeah, I know most folks don't have an end mill laying around. A drill bit will work but you would either need to fill the part that is cone shaped with filler or a punched styrene disk or drill clear through and back fill to the proper depth.

yak3-12gauge.jpg

Hey Garry that looks good (y)

What I really needed was a flat bottom drill bit but i have none .

I'm letting the black paint cure tonight . Hopefully the decals will work good tomorrow.

Cheers, Christian B)

How about drill it out, punch out some plastic sheet just slightly thinner than the plastic and plug the hole even on the inside. Then the decal on top ?
James

How about drill it out, punch out some plastic sheet just slightly thinner than the plastic and plug the hole even on the inside. Then the decal on top ?
James

Pretty much what I did James . Still drying . Pictures ans explanation tomorrow B)

I have found that name to be confusing simply because it goes back and forth depending where you see it.
Good paints though (y) no matter the spelling.

Agreed! I have the acrylics and am considering their lacquers.

Regards,

I know nothing about their lacquers but as paints go, this has the possibility to be a superior product.

Please let me know how it goes.

Cheers, Christian B)

OK, now the big to do about the little gages . Here's what I did.

First I marked it with a sharp point then drilled a pilot hole.

yag_gages_003a.jpg

Maybe overly conscious but it's really easy to cut an oblong hole in plastic with large drill bits.

So, after a couple bigger drill bits, the hole was the size of the gage and the largest punch...

yag_gages_004a.jpg

The plugs were inserted at what I though was a good depth and glued in from the bottom.

yag_gages_005a.jpg

Followed with a patch to make sure they don't get pushed inward latter

yag_gages_006a.jpg

The holes were then painted with a Tamiya black and Future mixture .

yag_gages_007a.jpg

The decals were installed and when cured I finished filling the holes with supper glue and them sanded everything flush.

yag_gages_008a.jpg

To restore the transparency, a bit of Future... :good: I like the outcome .

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks for following along and for you inputs towards overcoming this little gage problem .

Trying to install the Eduard PE in the Eduard cockpit .... and even in 1/48 scale, nothing fits . Not even square box covers.
Wish I would have thought of it at the IPMS show. I should have asked them if they were sending someone to school to learn about measurements....Seems they could afford it :hmmm

Pictures tomorrow I think.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back