• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

YAK-3 From Russia with...

I'm seeing more of that. I always thought you should spray so it would be thin and homogeneous, but more and more I see people painting it on with better results.
James

Most beautiful. Wonderful Job.

I guess there is no sense in pursuing modelling any further without being able to use an airbrush. I can never get These results. It is depressing.

In any case, great work.

Alex

Nice save, Chris. I like the red nose, very striking.

Plastics do react to each other, I had some bubble wrap burn into the clear coat of a Mach 1 I built several years ago when we moved. Even masking tape can react with paint and the solvents if you leave them on too long.

B)

Nice save, Chris. I like the red nose, very striking.

Plastics do react to each other, I had some bubble wrap burn into the clear coat of a Mach 1 I built several years ago when we moved. Even masking tape can react with paint and the solvents if you leave them on too long.

B)

Well, that could well be the answer then . The question is what is too long for Tamiya tape and the Future combination to go bad.

My builds are never a couple of days thing. :idonno

Cheers,

It has been my experience that it's best to unmask as soon as possible. If the surrounding surface is dry, I unmask. Sometimes this isn't possible, like with complicated paint jobs, but I'd still pull the tape ASAP.

The phenomenon of plasticizer migration is the likely explanation, here is a definition, more than you'd ever want to know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasticizer

:coolio

Thanks Terry and Gary for following along :good:

Mike, that made made my head spin :frantic

Sorry for dodling along at a glacial pace but I'm afraid I'm guilty . Even worse, I don't always want to model when time frames are short.

On the positive side , I have managed some progress last week .

If you will notice, the Yak is now sporting a pin was and a flat coat

Friday, I opted to play with some Vallejo washes in the wheel wells . I like them a lot .

Yak_decals_002a.jpg

I spent some time installing the radiator cooling control rods and added some paints to the canvas boot for the tail wheel. I think it needs another wash to blend it some more.

Yak_decals_003a.jpg

The spinner/prop have been painted and assembled .

Yak_decals_004a.jpg

The canopy mask has been removed except for the center plug.

Anyhow, some more progress coming soon I hope :soldier :soldier :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

Yak_decals_001a.jpg

Thanks Terry and Gary for following along :good:

Mike, that made made my head spin :frantic

Sorry for dodling along at a glacial pace but I'm afraid I'm guilty . Even worse, I don't always want to model when time frames are short.

On the positive side , I have managed some progress last week .

If you will notice, the Yak is now sporting a pin was and a flat coat

Friday, I opted to play with some Vallejo washes in the wheel wells . I like them a lot .

Yak_decals_002a.jpg

I spent some time installing the radiator cooling control rods and added some paints to the canvas boot for the tail wheel. I think it needs another wash to blend it some more.

Yak_decals_003a.jpg

The spinner/prop have been painted and assembled .

Yak_decals_004a.jpg

The canopy mask has been removed except for the center plug.

Anyhow, some more progress coming soon I hope :soldier :soldier :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

Yak_decals_001a.jpg

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Thanks James , Mike , Dave , Gary , Bob , Helios.

You probably did not notice but the difference between the Eduard decals ( on the box) and the ones I used from AML .

The Russian flag is much smaller even though it appears to be the same bird.

I had hope to salvage the red warning sign from the the Eduard set but were garbage and after wrestling successfuly with only four, I gave up . They would have been nice to have.

Cheers, Christian B)

There it is! (just getting caught up)!

Looks amazing Christian! I agree with the wheel wells, those washes really add to it!

:popcorn

There it is! (just getting caught up)!

Looks amazing Christian! I agree with the wheel wells, those washes really add to it!

:popcorn

Thanks Gary , Luiz and Warren for checking in .

I do like the wheel wells but no one will ever see them again . I decided to order some other things to finish it with because we have zero shops here :frantic
Maybe I'll just weather it some this week, if father time will gives me some slack ( that remains to be seen )

Cheers, Christian B)

Back