• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy 1/35 Tiger-I early version...

I know I'm crazy but, I may go insane after this!! :frantic :gogo :gogo I just cut the tracks off 2 of the 4 sprue trees.... Any advice before I start piecing them together??

Run away now while you still have your sanity!!!! I've got 200 tracks to assemble with my little ASU-57! You probably have more!

:soldier :soldier

I know I'm crazy but, I may go insane after this!! :frantic :gogo :gogo I just cut the tracks off 2 of the 4 sprue trees.... Any advice before I start piecing them together??

Run away now while you still have your sanity!!!! I've got 200 tracks to assemble with my little ASU-57! You probably have more!

Probably the best advice I can receive!! (y) :frantic Ihave no idea how many indy tracks I gotta deal with but, there's definitely a gang of them!!! :frantic

Probably the best advice I can receive!! (y) :frantic Ihave no idea how many indy tracks I gotta deal with but, there's definitely a gang of them!!! :frantic

I got some advice from an armor modeler last night. he said to use a piece of wood as a guide and line the indys up one by one, then apply a little fine glue (he suggested Testors green cap) while using a 6" metal ruler to make sure they are straight against the wood and to tap the ruler down between the track guides to make sure it is flat.

He suggested to do one entire side as the glue should not set up before you get them on the tank making them pliable. Then paint them right on the tank. make sure you check to see that they are going in the right direction though!

Ed--

I made myself a pretty easy jig- just a large piece of sheet styrene with two square styrene glued into an L shape and it lets me line the indies right up and then glue them all in a row....the only thing I would improve on my design is to use an aluminum sheet instead so the glue doesn't make the links stick...but I can usually move them around after gluing to avoid that.

Thanks fellas. I do appreciate the input. I sat at the bench for a bit last night fiddlin' around with the links seein' how they'd best go together & the instructions even say to use a straightedge :facepalm :drinks

Well Ed I can't find my pictures since the other laptop won't boot ... but I took two pieces of balsa strip woods and made a jig .... that the middle track tab would fit in ... put a link in each end and use double stick tape to hold them at the correct width ... check your mail Monday ... :soldier

Well Ed I can't find my pictures since the other laptop won't boot ... but I took two pieces of balsa strip woods and made a jig .... that the middle track tab would fit in ... put a link in each end and use double stick tape to hold them at the correct width ... check your mail Monday ... :soldier

Thanks Gerry. I found a few vids online (U-tube) about tracks & on Tigers. Interesting history...

This thing has 52 links per sprue which adds up to 104 per side!! :frantic :gogo

Maybe too late, but another method I learned here in Modelers Alliance I think by Jeff was to use Lepage rubber cement. He called it the snot method. Use a toothpick to run some along the edge of the track and fit next track on etc until you are done. The rubber holds it all together and remains flexible.
Personally I love Fruil tracks myself ans swear by them. http://shop.lastcavalry.com/fruilmodel-tiger-i-early-tank-track-link-set/
James

Maybe too late, but another method I learned here in Modelers Alliance I think by Jeff was to use Lepage rubber cement. He called it the snot method. Use a toothpick to run some along the edge of the track and fit next track on etc until you are done. The rubber holds it all together and remains flexible.
Personally I love Fruil tracks myself ans swear by them. http://shop.lastcavalry.com/fruilmodel-tiger-i-early-tank-track-link-set/
James

Thanks James. I've already started the tracks. I got about 1/2 way thru 1 side already. I've heard of those tracks but, that's a bit out of my pay grade :bang head I'll try and get pics soon. :drinks

Those Indy tracks are where my last 4 armor kits stalled out! :S
Good luck sir!

Sit down and tough it out. I'm doing my Friuls for the Lee now. :good: :soldier

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mike! :drinks

Bob, I seen that! :gogo lil buggers... :frantic I'm doin' best I can with them. My right hand is givin' me fits & middle finger swelled up on me 2 days ago for some unknown reason but, I'm not letting it get the better o me!! :bat :bat

noticed alot of ejector pin marks on them so, been cleaning them up as I go... clean up a dozen, then glue 'em then repeat process... :frantic

Here's some pics of the tracks...

hbf56c14.JPG

h6a4259a.JPG

hcd916f8.JPG

ANd, I just got some goodies for this!!

h8f40c33.JPG

h3d2654f.JPG

h40e6666.JPG

hdfb6206.JPG

h2d67dd1.JPG

Metal gun barrel... no instructions for it tho :frantic

Here's some pics... I broke out the metal barrel for a comparison shot with the kit's.

hcb43e8c.JPG

h7b1d34a.JPG

What/where does the pe & the "O" ring go?

h2e83b15.JPG

Also, slapped some metallic Gray on the engine....

hef06e03.JPG

h2bcda5a.JPG

And before I forget... I went to move the section of track out of the way & it fell apart :bang head I used regular ol' Testors tube glue. :blush: :blush:

Ok fellas, With the warm temps jumpin' off this week here, Here's a few questions: I'll be shooting the interior of the hull with flat Red & am thinking of making it a touch darker, would XF-22 be acceptable for that?

Also, might as well get the info on painting the metal barrel as well... I'm thinking primer it first?

Seeing how the tracks fell apart when I moved them the other day, what do y'all suggest I use to glue the links together with?

Thanks for stopping by... :drinks

The knurled nut goes behind the muzzle break, you can see a small space for it in your pic. I would have to look at my refs for the PE as I cant remember off the top of my head. Check here and click picture to maybe get some hints

Back