• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy 1/35 Tiger-I early version...

Here y'all go... Pics of what I've gotten done so far. (I dumped a bunch of pics that didn't turn out) I'll try getting more pics soon.

h12169a6.JPG

h1f15bcb.JPG

h2aa9c0e.JPG

h1895bc2.JPG

I'm working on the shells for this beast & had to take a break. Back's botherin' me & my right hand. with the change in weather here, I may be breakin' out the A/B later this week.... Been in the 70s lately & suppose to stay that way all week!! :eek:hmy: :pilot

:soldier

You'll do fine, great thing about armor is if you screw up, throw a tarp over it. :rotf :tomato

You might as well put a sign on it "I messed up here". :rotf

I have this kit so if you need any spare parts let me know.

(y)

Thank you Terry. I'll keep that in mind & hopefully I wont screw it up too badly. :drinks

One of the things I noticed with mine was that the transmission assembly didn't fit. Don't know if it was the kit or me, just something to watch out for.

B)

Thanks again for the heads up on this. I did a dry run on it & it's definitely a very tight fit & I haven't even painted the interior yet!! :frantic Hoping to get the A/B out whilst we got mid 70s jumpin' off here :good:

I've been busy & my back's been givin' me fits the past couple weeks so, haven't been at the bench much. Just got my lead wires for my TENS unit so, I'm getting charged up and spending a little time at the bench. :drinks
I'm working on the ammo bins, & the ammo. shells themselves. What color are the blocks holding the shells?
I'll post pics later...

:popcorn
Nice progress Ed.
Info on 502........
First Tigers were very early production without the side fenders and painted german grey. These Tigers were repainted in the spring over the German grey with a thin dark yellow and olive cammo. This application was a patchy one with dark grey coming through on the edges etc. These tanks had the side fender mounting bolts applied during the winter but the fenders were never delivered due to spare parts shortage at the time, so they all had mounting bolts but no fenders (in the first platoon).
2nd company received Tigers in early '43 but these were 'decked out' in factory dark yellow and had the full compliment of side fenders and fiefel air filters on the rear.

Ian.

:popcorn
Nice progress Ed.
Info on 502........
First Tigers were very early production without the side fenders and painted german grey. These Tigers were repainted in the spring over the German grey with a thin dark yellow and olive cammo. This application was a patchy one with dark grey coming through on the edges etc. These tanks had the side fender mounting bolts applied during the winter but the fenders were never delivered due to spare parts shortage at the time, so they all had mounting bolts but no fenders (in the first platoon).
2nd company received Tigers in early '43 but these were 'decked out' in factory dark yellow and had the full compliment of side fenders and fiefel air filters on the rear.

Ian.

Thanks for the info Ian. I'm going with the German Grey on this one. Not up to tacklin' the camo just yet. Nor do I want to fight with the Yellow since it's a bear to get good coverage with. I don't think this has the fender skirts but, I'll keep that in mind as build this.

Seeing how the weather's been nice & in the 70sIam gonna break out the A/B and start blastin' away at the interior of the lower hull... start off with the flat Red. Then XF-22 for the engine compartment. As for the interior color I'm figurin' Radome Tan for the upper part.
Already hit the I.Ps with Lt. Ghost Gray & flat Black & dial faces a flat White. Need to go back in with a dry brushing of black on the raised details in them.

Well shoot :bang head Thot I'd shoot some paint today but, aint gonna happen :vmad Gonna have to wait until my paints come in seein' how I thot I had enuff Flat Red left in the jar but, noooope :pinch: Ahhwell,

By all means stick with the German Grey, but don't be put off by the Dark Yellow in terms of coverage. It's nothing like insignia yellow, etc that is tough to cover on AC or cars.

German Dark Yellow (Dunkelgelb) is a greenish tinted flat sandy color more akin to a Guldens mustard type of brown than yellow. It sprays and covers fine. I've been blasting it for 15 years now, you don't need multiple coats over white like you would on a plane. At surface that takes grey, OD ot black will take it no problem.

By all means stick with the German Grey, but don't be put off by the Dark Yellow in terms of coverage. It's nothing like insignia yellow, etc that is tough to cover on AC or cars.

German Dark Yellow (Dunkelgelb) is a greenish tinted flat sandy color more akin to a Guldens mustard type of brown than yellow. It sprays and covers fine. I've been blasting it for 15 years now, you don't need multiple coats over white like you would on a plane. At surface that takes grey, OD ot black will take it no problem.

Oh, I'm not knockin' the Yellow. It might be my painting skills since every time I've done Yellow, I've had problems (that & Red!)

Thanks for the run down & will keep that in mind should I decide to try it later...

I'll echo what Jeff said, that Dunkelgelb is not the same yellow we struggle with. I think another reason we have a hard time with yellow is we generally spray gloss, flats seem to cover better. This Dunkelgelb will be flat.

I'll echo what Jeff said, that Dunkelgelb is not the same yellow we struggle with. I think another reason we have a hard time with yellow is we generally spray gloss, flats seem to cover better. This Dunkelgelb will be flat.
Ahh, now that makes some sense to me :good: Thanks Bob. Filing it for future reference :drinks

I know I'm crazy but, I may go insane after this!! :frantic :gogo :gogo I just cut the tracks off 2 of the 4 sprue trees.... Any advice before I start piecing them together??

Back