• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy 1/35 Tiger-I early version...

Not much going on today. Sat at the bench for a spell and added the last few bits to the engine & fiddled with the engine compartment itself since someone told me the engine is a bit difficult to get in. So, I mocked it up & it don't want to go in :blink :hmmm I think I figgered out how I'll do it :D I'll add the sides& leave the front open until the time comes, drop engine in & add the front :drinks :drinks :drinks

Here's pics of the engine compartment

h3fddedd.JPG

When the engine is dropped in, it hangs up on them fittings on the rear bulkhead

h853fc01.JPG

I pulled one side out

h534e9c2.JPG

Ok fellas, now that I'm knee deep in this thing, I'm trying to find Panzer Grey paint but, do not see it! I've seen XF-63 (Tamiya) being used but, alot of controversy on it. And since I have an order in for some paints & such, I figgered I'd ask y'all what I should use for Panzer gray.
Also, the engine calls for Metallic Gray...

h61c8522.jpg

Found this pic of the Tiger I'm doing...

Panzer Grey is very dark, nearly black. Tamiya has used that bluish grey color in their cover art for years, but it really isn't accurate.

I don't have any photos at the moment, but here's a Tiger turret roof in Panzer Grey with a white wash and a comparison to the black wool of the Panzer tunic.

That photo you posted looks to me like Dark Yellow, but could ne PG with a lot of road dust. It's a very early, post initial since it has the PzIII turret stowager bin and no front fenders.

Thanks. That's a neat video. I also looked at the "Tank Commander" video afterwards!! (y) (y)

You might be right on the pic. Seems I got the option of the same tank in either Panzer grey or Dark Yellow... with the # 123...

Thanks. That's a neat video. I also looked at the "Tank Commander" video afterwards!! (y) (y)

You might be right on the pic. Seems I got the option of the same tank in either Panzer grey or Dark Yellow... with the # 123...

Thanks, the Tiger commander video is the same tank, but the color looks a lot lighter because it's heavily dusted.

Thanks, the Tiger commander video is the same tank, but the color looks a lot lighter because it's heavily dusted.

(y) (y) Awesome :drinks

Ok fellas, now that I'm knee deep in this thing, I'm trying to find Panzer Grey paint but, do not see it! I've seen XF-63 (Tamiya) being used but, alot of controversy on it. And since I have an order in for some paints & such, I figgered I'd ask y'all what I should use for Panzer gray.

h61c8522.jpg

This tank is from 503, who received their first Tiger 1's in Nov 1942 and all were in factory finish German grey. in the spring these tanks were repainted in a strange mixture of dark yellow-green olive. Numbers were black with white outline.
I believe that this vehicle is an initial production that has been repainted over the grey with this mixture and as this shot looks like summer just before Kursk, it probably has a dust coating. Please keep in mind also that these field paint jobs were never in ideal conditions, the paint was custom mixed by the field crews and the tank's surface would not have been perfectly clean so there would be ares after only a couple of weeks that would begin deteriorating just due to the crew movement on the tank and the weather.
Hope this helps.....reference material is from TIC , Tiger 1 on the eastern front and Tank power 13 Tiger 1 Vol. 1

Ian.

h61c8522.jpg

This tank is from 503, who received their first Tiger 1's in Nov 1942 and all were in factory finish German grey. in the spring these tanks were repainted in a strange mixture of dark yellow-green olive. Numbers were black with white outline.
I believe that this vehicle is an initial production that has been repainted over the grey with this mixture and as this shot looks like summer just before Kursk, it probably has a dust coating. Please keep in mind also that these field paint jobs were never in ideal conditions, the paint was custom mixed by the field crews and the tank's surface would not have been perfectly clean so there would be ares after only a couple of weeks that would begin deteriorating just due to the crew movement on the tank and the weather.
Hope this helps.....reference material is from TIC , Tiger 1 on the eastern front and Tank power 13 Tiger 1 Vol. 1

Ian.

Thanks for dropping by Ian. I appreciate your input. I kind of figured these things were painted on the fly.YOu said it's from the 503. It may be since I don't really know. THe instructions have it down as from the 502nd Heavy tank Battalion Leningrad, Russia 1942 and Tank Commander: Lt. Otto Carius, Lovetz, Russia 1943 it says it was Panzer Gray for 1 option, Dark Yellow for the other option.

h61c8522.jpg

Ian.

Thanks for dropping by Ian. I appreciate your input. I kind of figured these things were painted on the fly.YOu said it's from the 503. It may be since I don't really know. THe instructions have it down as from the 502nd Heavy tank Battalion Leningrad, Russia 1942 and Tank Commander: Lt. Otto Carius, Lovetz, Russia 1943 it says it was Panzer Gray for 1 option, Dark Yellow for the other option.

Hey Ed,
just happy to help and put you on the straight and narrow :laugh: (y) .
The instructions are correct, you have a picture of a different tank. The panzer 3 'dustbin' on the turret rear is the big give away as this mod was only used by 503. The location also as this is definitely the Kursk area and not Leningrad.
So I hope I have helped. Let me know if you need any advice on 502 colors etc.
:popcorn
Ian

h61c8522.jpg

Ian.

Hey Ed,
just happy to help and put you on the straight and narrow :laugh: (y) .
The instructions are correct, you have a picture of a different tank. The panzer 3 'dustbin' on the turret rear is the big give away as this mod was only used by 503. The location also as this is definitely the Kursk area and not Leningrad.
So I hope I have helped. Let me know if you need any advice on 502 colors etc.
:popcorn
Ian

That would be appreciated Ian. Thanks for the run down on the photo. I'm totally outta my comfort zone with this build :drinks

Managed to get to the bench for a little while & I think I got a little carried away since I now have the radiators, cooling fans assembled & awaiting paint along with most of the transmission :frantic If things work out, I may break out the airbrush & start blastin' some of this... :drinks

Back