• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WnW Albatross D.V.a

paddy

Made a start on this for the comp over at Swannys. I'm sort of happy with the colour but the method was a nightmare with acrylic base coat and Artists oils, Humbrol Enamel, water colour washes and tamiya spray flat coats.. Me??? course i know what i am doing ... :woohoo:

_DSC5697.jpg

_DSC5698.jpg

_DSC5699.jpg

I don't like competitions TBH...too much pressure to get things right how others want to see them rather than how i think they should look. Wood grain is always a thing with me. its difficult to imagine quite what wood grain would look like reduced by 32x but not like most people imagine with a pronounced grain i am sure but thats what people expect so i suppose that's what you have to do.

As usual i am beating myself up trying to imagine how these things might have looked back in the day. I try and envisage a red hot lump of steel pumping out boiling caster oil and all this sitting behind a huge fan. I can see absorbent wood, soot, spilt fuel,oily rags, mud wind and rain. so how would all this transfer to a model ? who knows but i know the stuff you see in museums is highly sanitised.
This is the cockpit of an original Sopwith Triplane, 3 gauges and a couple of light switches on 2 planks of wood :), No French polishing lacquered cabinet makers at work here.

Triplane4.jpg

I suppose you have to say to yourself that most of the interior will never be seen anyway so its only for ones own satisfaction but for me it needs to be dirty and messy enough with out looking a dirty mess if you see what i mean ..

_DSC5740-1.jpg

_DSC5732.jpg

Quite pleased to close this up as i wasn't following the instructions and the front engine bearers and ribs should not be added yet. this means i had quite a lot to line up from side a to b.

Anyway looks ok and i have given it a lightened coat of Tamiya Dark Yellow as a wood finish base coat

_DSC5784-1.jpg

_DSC5785.jpg

Very cool Paddy. So you'll do a natural wood finish? Which bird are you going to build?
James

started adding a little oil paint............never done this before so how it turns out will be a surprise :)

_DSC5794.jpg

_DSC5793.jpg

It's looking good Paddy! We've had a number of lessons on painting wood grain around here, I think you're doing fine. :popcorn

B) Looking great!
just keep going mate - don't be scared of the oils they are very forgiving and easy to fix when they go wrong. Heaps of time to work with them.

Ian.

I have started playing with the engine while the oils dry.

_DSC5805.jpg

_DSC5804.jpg

I don't know what i will do with the fuselage yet ? maybe a coat of clear Yellow. I will try a small bit first.

I've read that some folks have used transparent yellow or orange on that wood, that it was some specific wood that had that glow to it. Can't recall what exactly.

Orange would look better as it tends to sit in the troughs of the grain and highlight it but it will make the whole thing a bit darker and its already on the "dark side" (Luke)
who cares anyway i bet no one knows what shade the wood was any more than they really know what colour RAF "Sky" really was :)

Back