• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/24 Airfix Spitfire FINISHED

That's the plan, the Hurricane kit is a lot more basic but thats the appeal, its a bit like a blank canvas :) I'm researching it now and thinking of opening up a lot of the access panels. Its quite good to practice on the Spitfire because its basically done for you OTB. There are literally hundreds of really good Airfix 1/24 Spit MkIX out there but really good Hurricanes are few and far between

Band round the tail and prop done and leading edge yellow, started on weathering. Not sure how far to go.

_DSC6894_01.JPG

_DSC6896.JPG

Well here it is
I have to say i never really got into this. Its a superb kit but i just couldnt get too bothered about it. Don't know why, maybe because its another Spitfire or maybe because while the cockpit and engine are interesting the rest is just going through the motions...Whatever its nothing to do with the kit itself. I read a few reviews on other builds and people were impressed with the dec als where as i thought they were pretty poor. maybe i was spoilt by the GWH set in the SU27 i built ?. As Bob would say, half way through i went into "get her done" mode :)

_DSC6926.JPG

_DSC6925.JPG

_DSC6927.JPG

_DSC6932.JPG

_DSC6934.JPG

_DSC6941.JPG

_DSC6942.JPG

_DSC6952.JPG

_DSC6958.JPG

I would love to find out what it is that makes one build an absolute pleasure and another a "going through the motions job". I dont think its subject or kit quality, A Spitfire is a good subject and this kit quality is 9/10 and yet i get huge satisfaction from my 1/12 vintage race car builds and i dont particularly like cars :)
I think its probably detail. The vintage cars are all detail, even the gloss finish paint and fittings are special and its all exposed if its convertible with the hood open. An aircraft has detail but its mostly hidden and the square foot of plastic to detail ratio is pretty small. Much like armour, its highly detailed and all visible. What do you think ?

For me, while the finish (scheme) is the ultimate goal, it is the voyage there that makes it a great kit. So, dimensional and proportional accuracy are more important to me than the fit as I can work that out. Adding detail to a basic kit is part of what I love to do (seems you too since you are eyeing that vintage Hurricane). Painting is my least favorite until the markings are applied.

To summarize, a kit with superb fit and engineering but is dimensionally and proportionally inaccurate is not a kit I would want. I'd prefer an ill-fitting but dimensionally and proportionally accurate short run kit.

Well, first of all, it is masterfully done and a beautiful plane. I would like to know how you fit the engine covers so that they are removable, yet held in place so perfectly. I was afraid that all of that beautiful engine work was never going to be seen again.
As for the motivation, I think one needs to have a goal, or some reason to be excited to build any model. I have only built one other Spitfire, so building this one is still exciting to me. I was almost school kid giddy just opening the box. The scale is also something I have never done, and the level of detail is scratching many of my art minded itches.
I agree about cars and tanks. The level of detail still visible after assembly is very gratifying. Working to create a flawless car finish is a joy in itself. Being able to open hoods and hatches to see the work beneath can be very satisfying. It is why I am so interested in how you can remove the engine cover. What holds them in place when covered?!
So, I guess, in conclusion, the reason behind why one opts to build a particular model has a lot to do with the joy or lack there of. To build it just to build it may not provide that? Personally, I am extremely glad you decided to build this particular model, as it gave me lofty goals for building mine. The Spitfire still fills me with pride and awe for the British people. To me, it is a symbol of tenacity, bravery, and engenuity. I want to thank you for building this plane as a people, and this particular model as an individual.

Thanks Greg, Have to say i am more excited about the 50 year old Hurricane kit that this one :)

Just add a few buts of plastic card to the back of the panels that can clip behind the fixed panels or parts to hold them in place, it only needs a 1 mm or less

_DSC6976.JPG

Nice tip Paddy! Never would have thought of that. I know on some other big birds they give us magnets to keep panels in place.

I've gotten put out with the J1 Wingnut Wing kit. they took great pains to help you have an open panel but there's not enough room to close the panel and that's just killed it for me. Would love to finish it but I don't want the engine bay open.

Nice job on "Gitt'er Done" Paddy :vgood:

Well, I'm glad you got her done, Paddy. It's a beauty. Probably you had some fatigue set in, always an issue with a complex kit. You will like it more as time passes, at least that's how it works for me sometimes.

Nice tip Paddy! Never would have thought of that. I know on some other big birds they give us magnets to keep panels in place.

I've gotten put out with the J1 Wingnut Wing kit. they took great pains to help you have an open panel but there's not enough room to close the panel and that's just killed it for me. Would love to finish it but I don't want the engine bay open.

Nice job on "Gitt'er Done" Paddy :vgood:
Bob, I found on my WNW DH9A that any growth at all on the internals would make the externals not fit well. They are that accurate, that even too much paint or a small bump of glue could upset things.

Back