• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/24 Airfix Spitfire FINISHED

paddy

This the new Mk IX version of the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire

I think like most people i would rather have had a new Mk IA or IIA Spit in 1/24 from Airfix which most people regard as the true iconic Spitfire.
For this reason i hadn't planned to build one of these as the original 50 year old Airfix Mk1 is still available and probably offers a better blank canvas if you want to detail you model than this new model. I am currently bidding on e-Bay for a 1/24 Airfix Hurricane with a view to doing a detailed build on that instead.

The biggest bone of contention with Spitfires is colours so too that end i will build with what i think looks right and if people disagree then thats their prerogative but as photos and photoshop, monitors and their settings all distort colours its hard to criticize anything you cant see in the flesh :)

The construction is interesting from page one as its very much like a resin aftermarket approach. The cockpit is assembled as a separate unit that is then sandwiched by the fuselage halves rather than being built into the fuselage sides

_DSC6647.JPG

_DSC6645.JPG

_DSC6646.JPG

A lot of thought has gone into the way parts fit so angles etc are correct IE: the parts above are clipped together with no glue at this stage aand they hold themselves in perfect position.

Fuselage frame sections have all the holes moulded in but most will need opening up which is not a problem

_DSC6644.JPG

I have used MRP interior RAF green on the inside and it looks pretty close to how i think it should

_DSC6649.JPG

You can see what i mean about colours on the internet because these parts are identical but the parts on the right look a lot darker :)

Last edited:
I have looked at loads of pictures of spitfire seats and finally found the definitive original owned by the RAF BBMF (Battle of Britain memorial flight) who operate 6 spitfires and a Lancaster all officially on charge still with the RAF, The Lancaster is now our only heavy bomber still in service so watch out Russia.

BBMF_Spitfire_pilot's_seat_.jpg

Note how the sides are paper mashe as well as the seat base but darker more like Bakelite. How many models have you seen with red seats :) The black padding is just a slip over cover like a glove on the back. Thick black tape added to the sides to stop chafing.

Gentlemen, Paddy's Spitfire Mk. IX University is now accepting applicants. Prepare to be amazed!

I have this very model sitting on the shelf, waiting "in the wings" as it were, so I am watching with extreme interest. Very exciting!

It looks also like you have an interior paint sample as the mounting is still attached Paddy.

It is always enlightening to see photos of items like this.

Agreed Paul although looking at the bleached out floor and flash on the black leather my guess is everything is turned up a bit so its all a shade or two bright.
The item on the floor behind looks like the radiator from a Hurricane thats sits under the engine ?

Decided to start on the seat...well ya gotta start somewhere :)

_DSC6639.JPG

Its pretty basic but you have the parts to work with. This is in Tamiya Dull Red

I thought the padding was a little 2D so added a couple of strips of Tamiya masking tape to each panel.

_DSC6641.JPG

Also added some oils to darken the colour a bit nearer to what i want

_DSC6654.JPG

And added the frame work. I dont like the height adjuster lever so might remake that but it will never be seen...

_DSC6671.JPG

I also splashed out on seat belts from Airscale who are quite close to me here in England. Ah you say..he's gone after market :)
Well in fairness the kit parts are plastic

_DSC6675.JPG

The airscale ones are just paper and look really hard to put together as parts are very small but will give it a go

_DSC6656.JPG

thanks for looking

Looks good Paddy. The seats were made of Bakelite and I have always used Tamiya Hull red, but you beat me to it. I'm not sure about the chipping on the seat pan lip though as Bakelite is the same colour throughout. I think maybe adding some orange to the hull red to lighten is as shown in the sample seat would look better. I just got 2 books on the Spitfire and now I am really thinking hard about doing my Spit Mk IB. You're giving all sorts of inspiration.
James

They just released another one with a figure of Brian Lane. I think this kit has been starring at me too long and begging to be built. Wonder whos gonna do that? :)
Yeah I saw that. Then noticed Sprue Brothers had the first issue and went for it. Also Infinity Models has released a 1/32 kit of the Val.
170_inf-3206-aichi-d3a1-val.jpg

Oops, sorry Paddy, just realized I messed with your thread. If it is an issue I will repost this elsewhere.

Looks good Paddy. The seats were made of Bakelite and I have always used Tamiya Hull red, but you beat me to it. I'm not sure about the chipping on the seat pan lip though as Bakelite is the same colour throughout. I think maybe adding some orange to the hull red to lighten is as shown in the sample seat would look better. I just got 2 books on the Spitfire and now I am really thinking hard about doing my Spit Mk IB. You're giving all sorts of inspiration.
James
Were they Bakelite, or were they Masonite with a varnish? I think Bakelite is a plastic and you see it a lot with switches and stuff. The seat looks more like a worn wooden type material than a plastic.
A Bakelite distributor rotor.
RotorBakelite-2.jpg

Back