• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS England

Rhino

Super Moderator
My Sweeitie introduced me to a Navy Vet. Whose ship was the USS England. I'm working on a build to honor his service. (I seem to do that a lot!) It's the old Monogram Leahy. U gotta do a bunch B4 the toy Terrier mounts & guidance radars can be installed below decks.

2Sept13_USS_England_deck_paainted_28229.jpg

Hull shot;

tHRU_JAN_13_008.JPG

Yep that's a lot of tape. Is there any PE in her future?

Terry B)

The deck is an ocean GRAY, lightened a bit for scale effect, the Vertical surfaces will be USN Haze gray. I refered to an old FFG guy in our club for his approval, 'cuz he was there.

I did the Bridge deck spray shields with plastic card, just a bit.
Her recipient is a guy with grandkids, so i decided to ballast her, so she'll float on an even keel. Just in case Grandpa's ship "goes to Sea".
Stability Tests, underway, conducted by the White Oak Hull & Drydock Company are very positive.

I'd love to have some radars, but NSM on other photo-etch.
Less for little fingers to break off.

Very cool. A heck of a lot of tape, dont know where you find the patience to do that. Looking good.
James

So Chris, why aren't you full steam into our Shipbuilder's Campaign? :popcorn

Teach the rest of us how to do it.

I neglected to take any Pict's when I opened the box, so I didn't think I could qualify for the Ship Builders campaign. I'll be tickled to pass on whatever ship skills I may have.

Haze Gray sprayed over sealer. I'd advise to anyone making a model of this kind, NOT to paint the decks first. The vertical surfaces would made a much simpler making project.
9_Sept_13_USS_England.JPG

Never mind the Sd.Kfz 251/17 in the background!
9_Sept_13_USS_England_2.JPG

9_Sept_13_USS_England_3.JPG

Peel the tape & assemble to the Hull later on today!

I said when I was attempting that Graf Spee, you really have to have a different mind set building ships. :popcorn

Nah! It's all the same, Sprue, Glue, Spray, and Pray. Just more time consuming. I was taught smoe new techniques by a Buddy, and re-enforced my Model Mojo.
I think you'll find Navy Guys drink a bit more than other modelers, and have a great deal of patience!!
HA!

Test fit of deck to Hull assembly. masking peeled off, touch up of paintwork underway. She's coming to life, fellers! More filling sanding is inevetable
10_Sept_13_USS_England_1.JPG

I'll do the Brass screw thread as soon as I lean how to open a new album.

10_Sept_13_USS_England_2.JPG

:drinks

I decided to rig the lingage for the Terminal Guidance radars, and the missile launchers, yesterday
6_Oct_2013_USS_England_1.JPG

I also attached the main deck to the Hull ass'y
6_Oct_2013_USS_England_2.JPG

I used the "old school" gap filling method of soaking down stretched sprue with liquid cement, and schmushing it into the gaps with my knife. It came out OK!
6_Oct_2013_USS_England_4.JPG

6_Oct_2013_USS_England_7.JPG

Back