• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 USS Entemedor, SS-340 Balao class GUPPY 1b 3D printed Model Kit.

Wow, that is quite the muffin top! So weird that you had that kind of reaction. Some kind of contamination possibly???
Devin at Reynolds Materials says the RTV was made in 2024. I haven't sent the picture of Part B yet.
I did everything the same as I have done of every other mold. I did recover all the Masters.

20240905_181214.jpg
USS Clamagore ventures into "The Pink" using leftovers from a know good batch of Moldmax 10.
The round test mold for the suspect Moldmax 10 RTV contains an inconsequential Master. Results will be known 0600 tomorrow.

20240907_094337.jpg
Test and USS Clamagore and Entemedor molds have been cast with brand new LPP resin. The castings always tell the tale. (insert Jeopardy theme music here.)
20240907_122513.jpg
LET'S GET READY TO BUBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Captain, there be submarines.
20240907_123640.jpg
The Asian house pulled little chunks out of the suspect MoldMax 10 test mold. What's left of this package of RTV is going in the burn trash. The GUPPY III mold from old Moldmax10 worked like it always has in the past. Something changed and I won't risk all my hard work making Masters on unreliable RTV. My next order for silicone RTV mold material may well come from AeroMarine. From pink molds to purple ones.

20240907_144026.jpg
From this Master casting will come a tidier, more accurate SS-343 USS Clamagore mold. From this same mold and modifications, USS Tigerfish/USS Ronquil of "Ice Station Zebra" movie fame Master will also originate.

TLAR Models 1/700 1950's US Navy "Strike From The Sea" set will include both GUPPY III boats, a SS-340 USS Entemedor GUPPY IIa SSK, a P6M-5 SeaMaster jet flying boat and a pair of F2Y Seadart jet fighters.
Thanks for looking in again!

20240910_202609.jpg20240910_222054.jpg
Research shows the US Navy GUPPY III boat was 17 feet (.29 inches in 1/700) longer than her previous sisters. 328 feet LOA over the standard Gato/Balao/Tench class submarine length of 311 feet. As you can see, chopping ensued and a plug was inserted in USS Clamagore amidships to get the proper length over all. Careful manicuring of Clamagore's hull is ongoing. She's "The Gray Ghost of the Florida Coast" and I've actually been aboard her at the Patriot's Point Naval Museum in Charleston harbor. She MUST be "just so".
20240913_125720.jpg
"Strike From The Sea" research also finds there were 7 GUPPY variants. From this set, 5 can be built, using Fujimi's excellent 1/700 Balao class model kit, to make 2 "Fleet Snorkel" 1950's Hunter-killer models with 1 of each Electric Boat or Portsmouth sails. A set of 3 PUFFS sonar antennas will also be mastered, molded and cast.

What you see here so far are 3 in-progress Masters of 4 GUPPY submarines. I often wish I had the ability to choose a "stopping point". I plainly just do not. Sometimes, I just hate myself.

Thanks for looking in again!

She was in pretty tough shape, cosmetically in 2016. There were places on the deck that weren't safe to walk on and the outer hull was rusting apart at the forward limber holes waterline. She's been gone from the museum for a while now. Didja notice that article is from March of 2022?
Maintaining steel museum warships in salt water is expensive and complex. I'm not sure if it's better to be scrapped and re-used, or sunk as an artificial reef? I will do my best to make sure The Gray Ghost isn't forgotten.

Hey! USS Yorktown CVS-10 and USS Laffey DD-724 are both still there. The "Galley" is open aboard USS Yorktown (or was.) Lunch was very good! There was also a very interesting Vietnam War display.

Last edited:
20240920_084934.jpg
A short resin pour produced a surfacing 1/700 GUPPY I Submarine model the other day. Not much goes to waste around here.
Unless you count the sacrificial molds made to produce most of these resin masters.

Back