• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Atlantis 1/320 "USS Forest Sherman"

Better?
1000009630.jpg

It's a lump. A well secured lump! Hose reel? Winch seems unlikely. Not a handy spot for life raft canisters that didn't exist in those days.
I know! It's a widget! A Hoosie?
:lol::lol:
Probably a reel for a firehose.

It's a lump. A well secured lump! Hose reel? Winch seems unlikely. Not a handy spot for life raft canisters that didn't exist in those days.
I know! It's a widget! A Hoosie?
:lol::lol:
Probably a reel for a firehose.
I was thinking winch but firehouse sounds good too.

Bitts and Bollards are often confused. Bitts are the double, vertical can-looking jobbies on the edges of your ship.
1704946005335.png

Bollards come in many designs. This is only one.
My old Bluejacket's manual explains it in greater detail.
Fairleads and chocks differ entirely.

The time has come, my little friends, to talk of other things; like strings and ships and sealing wax, and which string fits the ship. Callooo Calley, come sail away with cabbages and kings!
Ok, I changed the wording a little to fit my question. I did not like the EZline as my ropes. I have three strings, large medium and small, brown, tan, and grey, left to right. Which is most appropriate?
View attachment 164858
The smallest diameter you can get, like almost invisible. I'm trying the stretched sprue technique for my Texas build.

The smallest diameter you can get, like almost invisible. I'm trying the stretched sprue technique for my Texas build.
Go to a fly fishing store. You will find lots of things to use there from the very finest thread to countersunk beads in the smallest diameter. Some of the floss are made by combining extremely small fibers in a myriad of colors that can be unraveled.
Look for the Simperfli brand of thread. It is the smallest I know of.

I tried to replicate 2-¼” mooring line which in this scale would be .006” which was, in fact, the smallest of the threads I showed. It is difficult to get an accurate reading with calipers. I used by biggest magnifier and when the thread started to squish I backed off and took my reading.

Am I missing something or was the Missouri (1:350 scale) really that much bigger than the Forrest Sherman (1:320 scale). Holy crap. Quint, I'm gonna need a bigger table.
1000009662.jpg

Umm yeah! The big Mo IS big. The only reason the Yamato was so much bigger was because it wouldn't have fit through the Panama Canal. The Missouri and her sister ships "just fit" through the Canal.

Chris, I got the Tamiya 1991 version. She is a little overwhelming. I do have to reconfigure my workspace for sure. I found a YT channel that has a 7 part scratch “corrections and upgrades” series.

Back