• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Atlantis 1/320 "USS Forest Sherman"

Back in the 80's I was building this plane. Had it assembled and was painting it. Was NOT happy with the paint so I started stripping it using Easy-Off Oven cleaner which I had used before to strip paint and chrome. Literally the plane fell apart. All the struts broke off at the wings and it fell apart.
I put it away for a while and about a year later I pulled it out and reassembled it. Repainted it, added some extra fine details and all the rigging is stretched sprue.
I won several 1st place awards with it then. It still is in my display case and is one of my favorite builds. One that most would have tossed in the trash can.

He 51 float 1-72 20yr old.jpg

These days the decals are a bit on the yellow side, but other than that it is still as in this photo.

Bubba, It's your first go at a ship model. A a re-pop of a really difficult, crude, ship model. You were sore and maybe a little bit out of sorts.
Do, try not to be so hard on yourself! :Drinks:
Conversely, if USS Forrest Sherman is a gawdawful wreck, I promise not to blow sunshine up your bumbie! :salute::oldguy::smack:
(I have one I got in a raffle. She's missing a few small parts. "Do-Over"?):lol::yipee::lol:

I like it! OK you had some trouble first time out witht he rails, who didn't? I spent a lot of money on a Graf Spee kit that I had big plans for that ended in the trash because I had zero experience with those rails and other things.

I really like the weathered hull, too often you see these models where the hull is pristine. I have photos my nephew took from the conning tower of the GW Bush of the first aircraft landing. What caught my eye was the rust on this brand new ship out of sea trails.

Just imagine what your next ship will be like! :vgood:

I like it! OK you had some trouble first time out witht he rails, who didn't? I spent a lot of money on a Graf Spee kit that I had big plans for that ended in the trash because I had zero experience with those rails and other things.

I really like the weathered hull, too often you see these models where the hull is pristine. I have photos my nephew took from the conning tower of the GW Bush of the first aircraft landing. What caught my eye was the rust on this brand new ship out of sea trails.

Just imagine what your next ship will be like! :vgood:
The next ship has started. The 350 Mighty Mo. I have spent three days so far just working on the hull. There were only two weld lines and they were barely visible. I have been taping, scribing, scraping, slipping, gouging, cursing, filling, re-scribing, slipping, cursing, filling, sanding, thinking, looking, and I am having a lot of fun even with the slipping and gouging. This ship has to be epic. I expect months on the Mo..

Back