• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Spirit of St Louis build thread

Actually Bob it looks very much like the real thing . (y)

It would be very difficult to replicate that manually :blink

Cheers, Christian B)

Reference the horizon Ed, think the camera or the photographer was off a bit. The wings are too wide to fit in my photobooth, they stick out either side. :rotf

Haven't got any shots of the decals yet. Want to see how they turn out.

OK MP if you say so... It just looked a bit off when I tried lining it up with the lower part of my screen...

OK Mr ! The photo cube pictures are crooked. I checked out the gear and it is correct . :good:

You're going to make Bob insecure :rotf

Well, Sumbuddy's gotta keep 'im on his toes!!! :evil: :eek:hyeah

That is a seriously beautiful finish Bob.

Love the reflection of the strut in the cowl.

The machined cowls decals are going on.
I wonder if there's a way to replicate that machined look on BMF? :hmmm

Sez the guy with no patience. :rotf You could simulate the engine turning on Bare Metal Foil using a pencil eraser cut to size and a twisting motion, but that would be a WHOLE lot of tedious twisting. And you thought Friuls were boring! :idonno

Looks good from here and the gear checks out with the one eyed inspector. :coolio

:drinks

The machined cowls decals are going on.
I wonder if there's a way to replicate that machined look on BMF? :hmmm

Sez the guy with no patience. :rotf You could simulate the engine turning on Bare Metal Foil using a pencil eraser cut to size and a twisting motion, but that would be a WHOLE lot of tedious twisting. And you thought Friuls were boring! :idonno

Looks good from here and the gear checks out with the one eyed inspector. :coolio

:drinks

Tried it, using 1200 grit paper/pad, and the tip of a bamboo skewer.
20150405_143435.jpg

Tedious would not be the word I'd use. and how to make it uninformed I don't know.

You were on the right track, here's how the real thing is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6pMcDyx7PM

Using a small diameter pencil eraser makes the swirl marks without being too abrasive, but those skinny pencils are hard to find now. (y)

You were on the right track, here's how the real thing is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6pMcDyx7PM

Using a small diameter pencil eraser makes the swirl marks without being too abrasive, but those skinny pencils are hard to find now. (y)

Plus the circles overlap anyway . You would have to be extremely precise for it to look good :S

This is outrageously awesome Bob. I'd stay with things just they way they are. Youre about as close to perfect as you can get. :notworthy

I think the decal looks good, at least in the photos. I did one of these finishes on a machined C-clamp I made in shop class in high school. It was steel not aluminum and I utilized a dowel rod and grit collected from a bench grinder. It was done on a drill press with a fence to keep the lines straight. It took forever to do, longer than it took to do the rest of the machining and it was a very small C-clamp. I wish I still had it, it disappeared many years ago.

Looks very good There MP .... Your doing a fine job ...... You'll need a 3-d printer or maybe you could adapt a cricket to do the job ..... :eek:ldguy

Back