• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Spirit of St Louis build thread

:hmmm I'd guess somewhere between confusion and apoplexy... At least they'd notice !!

Ian.

Looks like a great recovery Bob. Mr. Surfacer looks real smooth, never used it like that. About all I've managed to do w/ the 2 bottles of Mr Surfacer I've got is waste it. Both jars are solid now.

Thanks Adam, you can add Lacquer thinner to it to thin it up. Even now I bet you can bring it back to life. I got some 500 that's sitting in the jar like paste but if I add lacquer thinner it'll be fluid again.

I used Mr. Surfacer 1200 thinned to milk consistency. Once it's dry you need to sand it down with high grit paper to get the dust off it. Then it's nice and smooth.

I just put Alclad Gloss Base clear on it and I keep slapping my hands from wanting to lay down some White Aluminum, want to let it cure today.

Thanks for the comments guys, Gary I agree, must be something with the can. Doubt it froze at...wait, we did go 2 days without power. :facepalm

Took a snap this AM

hc451770.jpg

I'm happy. :dude
Another coat to clean up what was sanded cleaning up some spots and then move on. :beer

Was it cold during those days ??? ...... :hmmm

Yep. I don't think I came down to the garage to check things, not like I could do anything about it.

:zen

Hell I could be done by the weekend! :rotf

:zen

Well then there Ya go .... I think We know the answer to the 64 dollar question ....... Oh and I have found over the years to never challenge the time by saying "Hell I could be done by the weekend!" ..... Just saying ..... :eek:ldguy :rotf (y)

Patience is never been one of my strong points. Instant gratification is what I'm about. I have paid the price for it several times also.

:rotf :rotf :rotf

Be it know that I have never had any problems whatsoever with the gray Tamiya primer . No matter how old it is.

I do spray it in the garage which means it could be 100 F or bellow freezing . Of course I don't let the item sit out there afterwards.

Just need enough patience to shake up the can properly and warm it up in some hot water .

By the way, I have never heard of cold affecting lacquer paint while in the container :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Does that mean you been doing some one eye modeling?? :coolio

She's up!

hfbe33e0.jpg

h9d6c0e9.jpg

heef5339.jpg

Started adding the decals for the machined cowlings, not sure how they will lay down. May end up doing my Eindecker trick if I can get the swirls tight enough.

I think you're ready for a bigger cube :hmmm

Wonder if the part that gets decals would benefit from a coat of Future.

Seems to me the real one had a clear coat of some sort.

Cheers, Christian B)

:idonno I don't see no decals thar Bob... I do see she's listing to Starboard in the 1st pic... :tomato :drunk

Reference the horizon Ed, think the camera or the photographer was off a bit. The wings are too wide to fit in my photobooth, they stick out either side. :rotf

Haven't got any shots of the decals yet. Want to see how they turn out.

Reference the horizon Ed, think the camera or the photographer was off a bit. The wings are too wide to fit in my photobooth, they stick out either side. :rotf

OK MP if you say so... It just looked a bit off when I tried lining it up with the lower part of my screen...

OK MP if you say so... It just looked a bit off when I tried lining it up with the lower part of my screen...

OK Mr ! The photo cube pictures are crooked. I checked out the gear and it is correct . :good:

You're going to make Bob insecure :rotf

The machined cowls decals are going on.
I wonder if there's a way to replicate that machined look on BMF? :hmmm

h0342318.jpg

h96498c1.jpg

h88bebbe.jpg

Drilled out the vents or whatever these are up top. I'm hoping to have this completed this week. I got plans next week... :unsure:

Back