• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Interactive figure painting by Bob and Laura!

In response to the questions about the raincoat, maybe I can help having reviewed the older set and being in the process of reviewing the current set for another site.

Figure 35093 WW2 US Army Officer #1 (Bob's one having a smoke) wears the Officer’s quality double texture OD (olive drab) raincoat, which featured epaulettes, an integral belt, and all-round buckled strap cuff adjusters.

The other 2, figure 35094 WW2 US Army Officer #2 (Bob's BC-611/SGR-536 guy) and figure 35051 WW2 US Tank Crew #1 (Laura's dude) wear the standard issue enlisted man raincoat, albeit different versions (I think). In 1938 the rubberized fabric raincoat was standardized, replacing the previous oil treated fabric raincoat. This raincoat was replaced after a few years by a new synthetic material raincoat. After 1942, the synthetic raincoat was supplied throughout the remainder of World War II although the fabric raincoat continued to be found in use. I only mention the rubberization in case anyone is portraying this type - you should probably have a slight sheen to the finish, whereas the other materials should be matte.

Although the raincoats are officially listed as OD, to my eye they are closer to khaki. That first photo posted (of the real thing) is way too green - is it a re-enactor piece? Artur Miniszewski, who did the box-art for the Alpine Laura is painting posted his OD mix over on pF. Although it is an acrylic mix it should give you an idea of what you're aiming for. It was posted a few years ago, so it may take me a while to find. Does anyone mind my posting the link here? Alternatively I can PM to Bob and Laura. Please advise.

I've got some references at home which I'll try scan and post tonight.

HTH

Rudi

Please do post here Rudi! And thanks, that's a boat load of information there. I"m going to assume pF is Planet Figures? I have a Vbench at PA, just loaded pF and right off the bat I see some work I recognize. hmm.... :mpup

Please feel free to post your links and any references here.

moon puppy wrote:
that's a boat load of information there. I"m going to assume pF is Planet Figures?
Please feel free to post your links and any references here.

No dramas - as I said, I'm working on the review at the moment (literally ;) while on my coffee break at work :D ) so the info was at hand. pF is indeed Gordy's planetFigure.

I'll post the link and the references tonight once HRH has retired for the evening ;)

As promised, here are the reference pictures. From the highly recommended title by The Crowood Press "The World War II GI - US Army Uniforms 1941-45 in Color Photographs".

us_army_raincoat_1_20100112_1535198322.jpg

us_army_raincoat_3_20100112_1737955692.jpg

us_army_raincoat_2_20100112_2010276995.jpg

Apologies for the graininess of the scan...

Now to try find that link :)

Rudi

what link? the one to crowood press?

-> http://www.crowood.com/category.asp?ClassID=8

those pics are most interesting and really cool! thanks for posting these rudi! :)

Kreighshoer wrote:
what link? the one to crowood press?

-> http://www.crowood.com/category.asp?ClassID=8

those pics are most interesting and really cool! thanks for posting these rudi! :)

No dramas, Laura, glad to help :)

Nope, the link I'm referring to is the colour mix Artur Miniszewski used when he did the box-art for the Alpine figure you're painting. Although it was done oil-over-acrylic, it should give you a good guide to your own method of oil over the black undercoat.

Here you go: http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showpost.php?p=245302&postcount=16

HTH

Rudi

If I may quote directly
OD green - basecoat: valleyo 893 dark green+70888 olive green+70880 khaki grey+white. Shaded with oils: fir green+brown(fir green+cadmium red)+titanium white. With lamp black to shadows and with tit. white to highlights.
Raincoat: basecoat - vallejo khaki grey+deck tan+iraqui sand. Olis: yellow ochre+brown+titanium white. Shadows: mix+lamp black, highlights: mix+white.
I don't have a proportions. I always mixing different paints and trying to fit to uniform (or accesories) on photos and pics.

Thanks Rudi, loads of help!

alpine019_20100117_1133926265.jpg

I like the way this guy is turning out. Of course this is his good side.

alpine018_20100117_1475078627.jpg

This fellow looks like he has a bit of a head cold.

second shades:

apply tiny specks of dark brown to the deepest recesses (nostrils, eye sockets, mouth, ears ... wherever else you find it appropriate) and blend them in! do not forget to thin the color and the nostrils plus eye sockets do not need blending in any case - those two spots you may leave like they are!

secondshadesblended2_20100118_1572600701.jpg

I think the hollow of the cheek is something I'm missing on the second fellow, the other heads are about the same as him. You really see the outline of facial details at this point don't ya?

Not sure if Mine are as well defined as yours Laura.

alpine024_20100124_1861526273.jpg

alpine023_20100124_1614577267.jpg

alpine022_20100124_1915709766.jpg
Very bad picture here but actually this guy is the one looking best so far

alpine021_20100124_1523031630.jpg

Nice profile, notice the jaw line?

well - YOU decide how much contrast you paint, it's your figure, your world and YOU decide!

faces looking good! :)

now for the second highlights - plain white to all most prominent face parts and - the most tricky part - do the eyeballs with your smallest brush and thin (and i mean really thin but no wash!) white! be very careful here!

secondhighlights3blended_20100125_1608927624.jpg

secondhighlights5blended_20100125_1281460215.jpg

this is the last update vefore my [strike]horror mishap[/strike] ... happy little accident happened! (happy and little ... pft! ... yeah, what else! ... i really laughed all day!)

Back