• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Interactive figure painting by Bob and Laura!

Kreighshoer

'sup dudes!

well - this will be a new kind of building/painting sbs! some of you may have noticed that yours truly bob jr aka moonpuppy has bought his first set of alpine figures and now he is in the urgent need of figure painting!

that's where i jump in!

i will paint this dude here:

35051a.jpg

(and maybe one or some more german tankers!)

i will do one single step and this step will be copied by bob as precise as possible! when he has done this step, i will do the next, followed by him!

due to the progress pingpong and the use of oil paints this will be a thread that will be updated daily as long as we both work on specific parts! e.g. face and else flesh parts!

anybody who wants to become an oiler is invited to join in!

i'll hand over to bob now who will explain more if needed!

I think that covers it. My Christmas break doesn't start till the 23rd, unlike SOME people on TnT who's off till February, I'll be back at work on the 4th. I think that will be plenty of time for me to fail this class.

As Laura said class is open to all who would like to join, we do ask that you keep in step with the class, Laura leads the class and we post our homework as we complete it. Please refrain from posting any work you've done prior to class starting. Think of it as a Classroom and Laura is our teacher. All comments are welcome but please, let's not get carried too far off topic.

You have the floor Ms. Laura, class is in session. :mpup

jenny croft wrote:
:laugh: Well I have all the time in the world to watch this thread , Until February actually B) !

Can someone get me another Splice cocktail & would it hurt you to rub in some suntan lotion B) .

Jenny :kiss:

I think that is called Baiting. Rub in a little oil, spend some time in intensive care......

Nope I'll play safe and watch Laura and MP and learn all I can. Although the figure I just started is in Acrylics, with some oil and maybe enamel. I hope I can glean as much knowledge as possible from the pros.

Thanks Laura and MP for starting this, I'm looking forward to it.
James

moon puppy wrote:
Just waiting for class to start, anyone seen the teacher?

sorry man, but from time to time i have to catch up some sleep!

we can kick off whenever you want so why not now!

get yer figures assembled like i wrote you in my mail, drill holes in the heels and necks (do not glue the heads in place yet!) and insert a length of wire, prime them and give both a thin airbrush coat of flat black on the clothes and sand yellow on the flesh parts! (acrylics!)

for priming/painting take two pieces of spare wood with corresponding holes drilled in to hold the figure parts!

when done i want to see your figures like that:

figurebasepaint1_1_20091220_2077273924.jpg

figurebasepaint3_3_20091220_2090671870.jpg

figurebasepaint2_2_20091220_2039980070.jpg

needless to say that the paint should be only a really thin cover! that's it with acrylics - the rest will be oil color fun!

Primed, looking for flat black and sand colors in acrylics. Not sure I have them. Would enamels be ok if I follow up with a acrylic clear flat coat?

The figures look good mounted to the base like that.

You've started with some high qualtiy figures .

Apart from NWM they are an excellent choice (y)

Cheers
Michael :)

First figures ever Mike, I've done some when I was young but nothing worth bragging about, surely nothing of a serious effort.

moon puppy wrote:
Primed, looking for flat black and sand colors in acrylics. Not sure I have them. Would enamels be ok if I follow up with a acrylic clear flat coat?

you will have some acrylic colors in your supply, do you? if there's no flat black, take glossy black! if you do not have sand yellow, mix red+white to a light pink! take any acrylic color - one dark, one light!

no enamel!

Bob, The Great Escape in Spartanburg is stocking a limited number of Tamiya acrylics, as well as, Polly Scale. John's Toy & Hobby in Gastonia, NC is stocking Vallejo Model Color in great numbers. B) Am going to be following this closely, I have to build a Russian tanker in the near future.

Laura why do you prime then coat with black? I guess the big question is why black, and then why prime if you are overcoating in black? Thanks
James

Iron Mike wrote:
Bob, The Great Escape in Spartanburg is stocking a limited number of Tamiya acrylics, as well as, Polly Scale. John's Toy & Hobby in Gastonia, NC is stocking Vallejo Model Color in great numbers. B) Am going to be following this closely, I have to build a Russian tanker in the near future.

Thanks Mike, Spartanburg is still a hike for me, though I would have no problem going there when Carolina BBQ is open for lunch. Haven't been there in a while.

Gastonia is out of the question. It would be over 200 miles round trip but that's good to know, it may be a destination one day. There is a Hobbytown down in Augusta that is likely the most well stock hobby store I have ever been in, now it's the only Hobbytown I know of that's still opened. Anderson has a Great Escape but I have not been in it yet, just found out recently where it is. the little hobby store we have has been pushing hobby out for Garden supplies. they only stock MM enamels.

Back