• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Interactive figure painting by Bob and Laura!

moon puppy wrote:
heheh....paying the price today? :mpup

if i had done something worth paying for i wouldn't complain but i did nothing at all! nuth'n!!!

nothing besides one glass of prosecco and going to bed immediately after the fireworks! maybe getting up at 6:30am again was a mistake! but in total i have collected 32 spent rockets what pleases me very much! a very successful rocket race this year! hehehehehehe!

Let's start with the positive.
I really like how the fatigues are turning out. I may need to blend a bit more, maybe not. I'll wait for the teacher to grade it.

alpine017_20100101_1302598819.jpg

Now here's the problem. I think that by trying to just cover the previous wrong color, which had dried glossy, there is nothing for the new color to grab on to.

alpine018_20100101_1160731126.jpg

Notice how brush strokes are VERY apparent? This ain't good.

And a little head....1.2.3...letting the jokes pass
alpine019_20100101_1973188115.jpg

This is with the Mr. Surfacer 1200 primer. I think it will work once dry. These are pictures from this morning so they have had since last night to dry.

looks ok to me! i had asked you to ignore the overcoat for now but since it is the same procedure as with the coverall carry on and proceed! :)

now add some more black to your paint mix and apply that darker shadows to the deepest recesses and where the overcoat and coverall meet!

proceed as you are used to in the meantime!

secondshades_20100101_1806805814.jpg

secondshadesblended2_20100101_1556272975.jpg

Maybe I should have thought of this sooner . . .

I am painting a figure with separate arms. The arms fit ok to the body, but not perfectly. If I finish the painting and attach the arms, there will be a small gap at the rear of the shoulder. What should I do? Should I plan on filling the gap after the figure is assembled and touch-up the paint afterwards? Or should I try to get the best fit possible before painting? Even with the last option, it seems to me that some touch-up is inevitable.

i'd attach them prior to painting, fill the gaps, sand them down and try to touch up as perfect as possible!

when you primed the figure you can see all spots that need further touchups before you start painting!

Laura -

At this point I have two problems with the results of the exercise:
1) The shadows and highlights I have applied look sort of "stripey." I know that's a problem with blending, but when I try to soften the edges, everything becomes the same color. I think I need some guidance on technique. :(
2) What colors should I use to create a basic khaki? I know that seems pretty easy, but my sense of how colors are created is limited.

And congratulations on your stylish new avatar!

deux amis wrote:
At this point I have two problems with the results of the exercise:
1) The shadows and highlights I have applied look sort of "stripey." I know that's a problem with blending, but when I try to soften the edges, everything becomes the same color. I think I need some guidance on technique. :(

whatever you do - stippling or stroking - don't use too much force! it's difficult to tell you exactly without any pic (could you show us the actual look?)!

in general you barely touch the figure with the brush! only with the brushtips!

deux amis wrote:
2) What colors should I use to create a basic khaki? I know that seems pretty easy, but my sense of how colors are created is limited.

again not easy to answer since i have no clue about the final tone you want but give this a try:

white + yellow ochre (little) as base and then - depending on what you want to acchieve - either

burnt umber for a more tan tone
raw umber for a more yellowish tone

tone down with black

approach this very slowly, add only small amounts to the white until you reach the tone desired! you have to experiment, i cannot give you a final answer on this!

Laura -

My apologies, but it is beyond me how to move more than one image from the Gallery to the SBS, so I can only add a single picture for now.

Thank you for the suggestion about khaki; I made several shades of mud and one decent khaki color so I am on my way. Now there are two more problems:

1) Lotsa brush strokes when placing lighter colors over the black acrylic base. How do I apply paint without brush strokes?

2) Light colors do not cover the black base coat? How do I achieve enough density to cover the black?

des_tkr-4_20100108_1098320926.jpg
[/img]

Just add one image after another.
Code:
[img]tanksandthings.com/gallery/image1.jpg[/img]
[img]tanksandthings.com/gallery/image2.jpg[/img]
[img]tanksandthings.com/gallery/image3.jpg[/img]

Just like that when you're posting. Just copy the image code on the gallery view, past it in your post and go back to get the next image.

You may have to open two Internet Browser windows or tabs depending on what you use to surf the web with. Or you can come back and edit your post with the next image. How ever works best for you.

I always just open two internet windows. One that is at the gallery. And one that is at the thread that I am posting at. Then I just bounce back and forth and I can put up as many photos as I want. It's quick and easy for me that way.

Gary B)

deux amis wrote:
1) Lotsa brush strokes when placing lighter colors over the black acrylic base. How do I apply paint without brush strokes?

add a blob of paint and spread that out as much as possible! let that color dry for 1-2 hours and go over it with a big flat brush, again with care and barely touching!

the rest is experimenting! i cannot give a final answer for perfect results here! it's really depending on the individual case!

deux amis wrote:
2) Light colors do not cover the black base coat? How do I achieve enough density to cover the black?

look above! since you are applying several layers of lights and shadows, the question of complete covering isn't that important with the basecoat!

OK Class is in session, I've carved out some time today for the garage and I'm waiting for the heat to build up. It's only 34degrees here today (remember, this is South Carolina where it gets so hot asphalt has a liquid state).

What a nasty day of modeling! Everything I touched turned to crap, at least it wasn't any real damage, just stripped paint and reworked it.

Here's tonight's homework.
alpine014_20100110_1900447351.jpg

alpine015_20100110_1882907637.jpg

alpine017_20100110_1063654219.jpg

These are turning out better than I thought. I know the colors are maybe too subtle, they are looking dark for me but I have a better appreciation of how things photograph. What'cha think Teacher?

deux amis wrote:
Laura -

Thank you for the suggestion about khaki; I made several shades of mud and one decent khaki color so I am on my way. Now there are two more problems:

I used both type of acrilics, artistic and Vallejo: I'm not a great figure painter, but I've read a lot about figure painting. It's said that the consistency must be like "milk" (not water, nor cream....milk) With Vallejo, I used same parts of water and paint, and I give 2 or 3 coats to cover the base color.

Hope this helps

Darío

looking good bob!

now for the first highlights:

lighten the fles tone and add fine lins to the outline of the nose like this _|_ (do not blend those lines, also to the forehead, cheeks, jawbones, chin, ears (those will be blended)... it should look like this:

firstlights1_20100111_1107321234.jpg

firstlights2_20100111_1379002833.jpg

firstlights3_20100111_1994107159.jpg

Back