• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Interactive figure painting by Bob and Laura!

dave samson wrote:
thank you very much and i am a little nervous going in to the oil part :unsure:

no need for getting nervous! always keep in mind to us little amount of oils with every step and not to use too much force when blending them!

Kreighshoer wrote:
not bad bob! eyeballs can be really nasty to paint!

the ones on the head with the helmet look good, the ones on the second head became a little bit big but you can correct that with a fine line of raw umber or any else dark brown, just paint that fine line at the lower corner of the eyeball, then prepare yourself mentally for the iris!

we won't go for blue, brown or green - that would be too much in this scale but it still will be difficult enough though! that'll be the point with the danger to end up with a leering figure!

dave - just follow the steps documented, if you face problems then ask and i will try to help!

You should see the ones I didn't post!

so what color should I go for?

moon puppy wrote:
so what color should I go for?

difficult to say from here ... maybe burnt sienna?

i just noticed something else - the mouths! to me they look open, if so you should apply a deep shadow between the lips and after drying white for the teeth!

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not going straight white, afterall, these guys wouldn't have been movie stars.

thanks andy, i plan on using oils for the faces i am going to give the acrylics a break! i cant seem to get the slightest effect of acrylics for faces but i do o.k for overall uniform ,body acrylic painting :hmmm i just dont get it!!

I don't see how you can get this blending effect with anything other than oils. You guys shouldn't be freaked about oils, they really are easy to work with if you have the right tools.

moon puppy wrote:
I don't see how you can get this blending effect with anything other than oils. You guys shouldn't be freaked about oils, they really are easy to work with if you have the right tools.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

couldn't have said it better!

Ive tried but the only thing I can get right is the cheekbone area for shading which I shall use over my acrylics for the next bloke I do

I cant seem to get that bit right with acrylics but I can do all thr rest with it ok though

alpine029_20100217_1561896087.jpg

My problem here, one eye looks good, if you don't look too closely. the other doesn't. Symmetry, always been my problem.

alpine030_20100217_1831683846.jpg

This guy is not getting the definition I want. guess the tones are too close together.

And yes, if you have ever read one of my builds you'd see me taking one step forward and two steps back. I followed Kens advice about the OD, mixed Yellow Okra and Black. Guess what, it turned to OD! So I went back and repainted the bodies. And the coats in the correct colors. I did some tonal changes between garments and will also apply different filters and shading to make them that much more unique.

alpine031_20100217_1165403540.jpg

So Laura, let me get the bodies caught back up with the shading and highlighting and let me know how bad the faces are.

erm ... you know what a big surprise looking at this update was for me?

ok - when the paint in the eyeholes has dried, apply the eyeball again like explained and let that dry also!

regarding the coverall - you started all over again? :blink well - proceed like you learned to bring out the details! same with the coat!

and what shall i do? should i post my figure in the current stage of painting or do the very last painting step and post it then? leaving you with the "final test" of finishing the figure like written to you in a pm?

or should i wait until you are done with all the shading and highlighting?

Wait till I get caught back up again. Shouldn't take long since I've already done it once. I have the other two heads to do the eyes on also.

alpine035_20100222_1050182761.jpg

Kilroy is sporting the latest in All Weather gear....

alpine036_20100222_1259441769.jpg

alpine032_20100222_1370411342.jpg

A little too much with the black dots for eyes. I'll correct that.

alpine033_20100222_1294104138.jpg

Eyebrows are a booger. Looks like that old Western Star..Jack Elam..look him up, you'll know him.

alpine034_20100222_1843194059.jpg

He's a keeper Girls!

I played around wtih adding more color to the cheeks and chin some. Also attempted to color the lips, course you can see the pearly whites..

Am I getting enough contrast on the overcoats?

i can see some subtle shades on the lower half of the coat but not on the upper half! do not forget those!

i also noticed a small hair at the right leg that needs to be removed!

remember what i wrote you in private! keep the shades subtle and add more and more - how many layers of shades and lights you apply is up to you and some dudes apply up to six tones of shades!

hmmmmmm ... maybe i'll finish my figure today and up the pics when the color is dry (in two days!) so that you see what i would like you to end up with! :)

The paint is really taking some time to dry, guess that's because it's not on top of the primer. Will keep building up shades.

Hey you guys,

I'm enjoying this!

Something I use all the time to speed up drying of oil paints is Cobalt Dryer. Available in artist's supply shops, it is a purple liquid that when lightly mixed with the colors, it will speed up the drying process by as much as 70 % and have no effect on the color of the paint. Been using the same bottle since the 70s!

Just an FYI!

Bob

i have seemed to have lost my camera :angry: i am currently working on the fig face and hopefully ill find the camera this eve!! good job on the progress pup :)

the color has dried, eyebrows and hair are painted!

i could have done much better with that figure but i hope you get the idea of different shadings and have lost the fear of the unknown aka oil paints!

it isn't very good visible in the pics but i painted the eyes offset to the right as if that dude would inspect something that disturbs him (maybe the doug's original scotsman i have stored away! would be a neat little scene with those two figgies and the tamiya willys jeep i still have in the stash!)

finished1_20100227_1025488955.jpg

finished2_20100227_1869288342.jpg

in the following pic you may notice the offset eyes - try it, it really easens the paintwork!

finished3_20100227_1811388034.jpg

I've really enjoyed this Laura. I have got some more shading and highlights on the overcoats and will post them this evening or tomorrow. Need to get you to sign off on it for me to move forward. I don't think my guys have leggings but we do have the web belt and other details to work on.

Back