• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How I got sidetracked to major "Honey do" projects!

Now, after the computer room on page two, this is the new Service room. This room is
where I have moved all my Military, University and Police memorabilia from the museum
downstairs to make room for more displays. This is my bar and a marble desk where I
have two older Macs, one with an old program for compiling my book collection,
and another for my DVD movie collection.

The Bar C.JPG

The older Macs. As you can see, I took these photos at night.

desk B.JPG

I have lots of these seven foot high oak shelves to hold the DVD movie collection.
People tell me to put them on the cloud and I'd save a lot of room, but, I like having them
at my beckon call! :)

DVDs A.JPG

I like to browse through them

DVDs B.JPG

DVDs C.JPG

There's a fridge with a freezer/ice maker in the closet. I also keep my old
uniforms hung there as well. US Army greens, 1958 issue, The Naval reserve made
me a Petty officer first class while I awaited my commission.

fridge B.JPG

This glass tower has some of my police momentos. My old style dark blue
dress police uniform hangs on the side wall with Sam Brown belt and harness.
A full German police Colonel's uniform is on the mannikin plus service caps
from police departments all over the world, English Bobbie's, French Kepi,
Japanese service hat, Dutch, Belgian, Italian, etc. Patches, service revolvers,
badges, handcuffs, nightsticks, contraband weapons, and on and on.
Included is a gold Police Cheif's badge from St. Louis. My former partner
who was the chief presented it to me for my 70th birthday.

Tower C.JPG

My most prized award. In 1963, The 89th United States Congress cited me for valor.
It is centered among the others on three walls of the room.

Congress A.JPG

My Bachelors degree and post graduate degrees from four Universities.
Lindenwood, Websters, Fontbonne and Tarkio.

The Degrees A.JPG

More police and military stuff.

The Wall A.JPG

The Wall B.JPG

Another glass tower of mementos. A full St. Louis S.W.A.T. outfit.
Special Weapons and Tactical Unit. Plus, more momentos from what seems
like a century ago

Tower A.JPG

More Awards, magazine and newspaper articles. I have two large photo
albums filled with all this stuff as well.

TV B.JPG

More.
TV C.JPG

And, of course, another TV to view edited videos, etc.
TV D.JPG

I hope you liked my Man Cave!

Man Cave.JPG

Next up will be the new and improved museum. New dioramas, new sections. 1) for the close modeler friends I have lost, photos of them and displayed with their models/dioramas. 2) Another large glass display case all about The VLS Corporation., momentos, and, 3). A display of The Mastercon conventions that went on for 30 years. I'm hoping to have it all complete by mid January so I can finally get back to my model bench! I haven't touched a model since last May!

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Wow! That is so incredible! I want to come back and see it all!

Way to go Bob, perhaps this was why you had the surgery, so you could re-do the house!

Hi Bob!
I was able to visit briefly on the way back to Memphis right after Thanksgiving this year. Here are a couple of close up photos of the news articles in the Man Cave.

20211128_132655.jpg

20211128_132707.jpg

Sat Evening Post.jpg

The two news articles are high res and if you download them it is possible to read the articles. Sorry about the light reflections, but did the best I could.

I didn't take any photos downstairs in the museum as it is in complete disarray like Bob said. I hope I am in a good a shape as Bob at 80. So far so good!

Wow! That is so incredible! I want to come back and see it all!

Way to go Bob, perhaps this was why you had the surgery, so you could re-do the house!
Thanks Mark,

I actually started this project months before the hospital stay. In fact, some of the heavy lifting involved resulted in exacerbating two existing fractures I was unaware of. Anyway, sooner or later they would have resulted in the surgery, so better to get it over with sooner!

You're always welcome!

Bob

If we lived through and remember the 60's we are old farts. I personally like remembering the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo launches.

The two news articles are high res and if you download them it is possible to read the articles. Sorry about the light reflections, but did the best I could.

I didn't take any photos downstairs in the museum as it is in complete disarray like Bob said. I hope I am in a good a shape as Bob at 80. So far so good!
Hey Paul,

You know what? I did as you mentioned, blew them up on my desktop. I haven't read those in 43 years. Brought back a ton of memories! My partner of 12 years in that article went on to be the youngest police chief in St. Louis' history. I had to retire early because I had started up VLS as an on the side business and it grew so fast, I couldn't handle both simultaneously. Mokwa, who has been retired for years now, drove down from St. Louis to visit a couple of weeks ago.

999.JPG

He was fresh out of the academy when I took him on as my partner. He became a great cop and, together, we were able to accomplish things greater than the sum of both our capabilities! I used to call him kid which he hated! Now, he's 72. I can't believe that! Guess I'll have to call him something else now!

This is what we looked like when the kids in the precinct called us Starsky and Hutch. (Sigh). :)

Bob:Joe copy 2.jpg

Bob

If we lived through and remember the 60's we are old farts. I personally like remembering the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo launches.
As long as we're going down memory lane Paul,

I came home from Europe and was discharged from the army on February 2nd, 1962 in Fort Hamilton, New York. I got a job painting the interiors of apartments in a large complex. The styles of homes had drastically changed while I was away, and I had never seen the inside of a home with all white walls and trim. When I had left, wallpaper was the fashion. I took my transistor radio with me and listened while I painted. On February 20th, I listened as John Glenn became the first American to orbit the earth. In two months, that will have been 60 years ago! I can still smell that paint! :)

What wonderful memories.
Thanks Barney!

You know, when you are young, without realizing it, you are making memories you will appreciate in your advanced age, if you are lucky enough to make it that long. Young men do things, old men remember doing things. I've been very, very lucky and had a wonderful life. I talk too much about "The Good Old days", I'm sure, but that's what old men do because they can't do the things they once did!

That sounds a bit depressing. I don't mean it that way, I still enjoy life, just in different ways. And.... I have all those great memories! I'd love to do it all over again, and, I wouldn't change a thing, even the bad times and there were some of those along the way! :vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood:

Bob

Dead ringers!
starsky-hutch.jpg

Regards,
Thanks Saul,

No, we weren't dead ringers at all, but, to the little African-American kids in the inner city where we worked, they related to that Wednesday evening series on CBS between 1975 and 1979. We had several Huggy Bears, but, a snitch in real life in the inner city, didn't have a long life span. For several years, when we drove down the streets, the little kids would call out, "Starsky and Hutch". I kinda wished we had a red and white Ford Gran Torino, but, the department wouldn't buy that request! :) We actually did have a "ringer" for Captain Dobey, a great boss who could have easily been the series' Captain Dobey in every respect.

TULSA142481.jpg

I was recently reading an article on crime in America. Something most people don't know. St. Louis has been the crime capitol of America for many decades. Chicago may have more crime in sheer numbers, but, the FBI rates cities in terms of how likely someone would be a victim of a violent crime. (Per Capita). In those terms, St. Louis has always been number one. Baltimore comes in a very distant number two. Chicago at number ten, and L.A. and NYC do not even make the top 20. When I was deciding where to move, that was the determining factor.

I loved it back in those days, but, keep in mind, I was young and stupid. Thinking back, I can't believe some of the idiotic things we did.

Back