• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Advance to Arnhem 1/16 scale

Closer to Completion; Hands, Rifle and Strap, and a redo of the Anklets

Corp Reynolds will now be set aside to fully dry and await the others before mounting on the base. I did a semi-final wrap up by painting the hands, rifle and strap. Also done was a redo of the anklets as per a very knowledgeable source, Mr. Boots. Thank you, Mr. Boots, for the correction in historical accuracy.

Can’t forget his cigarette, by no means. The wrist holding the rifle and the head have not been fully secured yet, that will be done during the final punch list process.

_DSC0232b-vi.jpg

_DSC0233b-vi.jpg

_DSC0235b-vi.jpg

_DSC0236b-vi.jpg

_DSC0238b-vi.jpg

_DSC0240b-vi.jpg

_DSC0243b-vi.jpg

_DSC0246b-vi.jpg

As mentioned before all the brass will be done at once on all the figures when the line-up is complete.

Time to tackle the next pair of trousers and carry on. Thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

WOW INCREDIBLE WORK!

hey a word about the aforementioned wrist on that one figure, if I may. If that figure has that left hand on the lip of the crater, trench, or similar brace, then it is spot-on. the No.4 Mk. 1 weighed about 9lbs loaded, so that hand brace when steadying as mentioned above would be very appropriate.

No, I never served, but back in the day I owned a No.4 Mk.1 and it was one fine rifle. In fact at one point I owned one each of the mainstays of WW2 Service weapons, and the Enfield was the best of the boltguns by far

Tanks, John!

Brb, I understood whatcha meant, good to go. Ya, those Mk1's are a sweat rig, no doubt!

Feathering in the Shadows

Been a few days of plowing snow, but we are back at it!

Feathering in the shadows with this color tone is just like working whites and grays, that’s how it works for me. Playing with the tones to ensure a variation may only take just a slight mix in either direction, tonal wise. It’s not so difficult to make the uniforms “not so uniform” if you just play with it for a bit. Grant it, we ain’t there yet, but we will be, mue pronto. This is just the preliminaries.

During my feathering process there is just a slight amount of dark oils (just a small stripe) that is distributed into the tops of the creases, then a wet brush with thinner allows me to spread that thin line through out that crease. Darker portions remain under the fold while the lighter, feathered portions, are dispersed downward towards the lighter affected areas. Clear as mud, I know, but it works. Play with it, it works.

_DSC0248b-vi.jpg

_DSC0249b-vi.jpg

_DSC0253b-vi.jpg

Next up, highlights and how I feather those into the mix. It’s gotta be wet to make it happen, otherwise it’s more difficult. The beauty of oils for me, they dry slowly 😉

A good dose of “Frampton Comes Alive, Do you feel like I do?” will bring it all round just right, lol. Guitar work is incredible, IMHO. Sometimes a ya just gotta relax with some good ‘ol tunes and have fun with the oils.!

More to follow soon. Cheers, Ski.

Brilliant work Ski! I agree, modeling to some great tunes is one of the ultimate ways to get things done.

Rock on man! :ro:

Rolling along

Second trouser set is complete, for the most part. With minor alterations in the tones, we’re off and running. There’s still a few areas that need attention, but the glare from the lights on the oils can be deceptive, so we’ll let er rest a bit.

As before, the hands, rifle, (or Bren Gun), boots and anklets were worked and will be finalized after this initial coat dries. In an attempt to keep this train rolling I’ve been getting at least five hours a day working these figures, so it’s not a fast process. Why rush the fun, IMHO, right?

_DSC0254b-vi.jpg

_DSC0257b-vi.jpg
_DSC0258b-vi.jpg

And of course, we have the pre-shading of the trousers for the next figure. Gotta keep this party on the move. Same process as before, nothing has changed. Tomorrow I will work this set of trousers, but I did pre-work the hands and added a darker tone for the shovel handle, as suggested by the knowledgeable historians in council.

_DSC0259b-vi.jpg

_DSC0260b-vi.jpg

_DSC0261b-vi.jpg

This Bren Gun is in the preliminary stages, but I do need to go back and study the proper way to make this look real. It looks like it belongs to a 1/6th scale play figure right now, YIKES!

_DSC0263b-vi.jpg

More to follow and thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

Breaking Protocol, woops!

Going against my own house rules I’m posting what will be, to come. You can never predict how a project will finally make presentation, unless you know something that I don’t, lol.

This set is incredible. After all this pain staking work, it’s beginning to flower as expected, which is pretty sweet, IMHO! There’s a bit of fiddling with the fit in the base, to be expected, but nothing that can’t be handled. Seriously, this is an incredible set, and now I’m seeing what I’ve envisioned months ago, woof!

_DSC0264b-vi.jpg

_DSC0265b-vi.jpg

We are quite a few weeks off from final, but the punch list is actually smaller than I had expected. I recon I can’t brag enough about the sculptor, but yall already know him. He’s earned his stripes, rightly so. Ruck On, Stevo!

_DSC0266b-vi.jpg

_DSC0269b-vi.jpg

I will continue working the third set of trousers tomorrow, run a complete finish on him as best as I can. Then off to that most difficult camo patten for the last figure. Sheeesh! I pray I still have the gumption to knock that ball outta da park, lol. This is a though pattern. It’s been the most challenging set I’ve faced, to date.

Let me say this with certainty, I’ve never seen such a good set portrayed with the intensity envisioned as I do here, and it’s just now beginning to show. I’m impressed, and it ain’t my brush work, it’s the sculptor’s work! Capturing the life actions of men in a real-life battle is a tough thing, especially in scale, but what a pleasure when we do, for historical sake, if nothing else. Ruck On, Steve!

Hope yall have enjoyed the pre-show, back to work I go! And did I say, thanks for watchin! Cheers, Ski.

P.S. This last pic should set the mood quite appropriately.

Thanks MP, HE, and JJ. I'm keeping my nose to the grinding wheel, more to follow soon.

Thanks again, Guys!

Back