• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How I got sidetracked to major "Honey do" projects!

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
When we moved into our house five years ago, It was a very hurried event. We sold our house unexpectedly and then realized we had to find a house in a few days to buy in a town 250 miles away. Our house in St. Louis was very large, 6,200 square feet. It was too big for the two of us at our age and we opted to downsize. We bought a 3,600 square foot suburban house in a quiet little suburb of Springfield, Mo and moved in. Of course, we had to sell and give away a lot of stuff as it would never fit in the new one. Still, it required three moving vans and a semi tractor trailer to move us here. Remember, I have a very large private museum. We had to get it in a condition for us to live ASAP. We did and all was fine.

However, five years later, we wanted to make it over to our tastes and needs. I planned it all out in three phase. First, the living, dining rooms and kitchen plus the first level guest bath. Susan had paid close attention to my train station in the Logistics diorama that I had made various tiny marble columns as seen here!

1:35th scale columns.JPG

We have these matching lamps in the living room that she really loves but, they would not fit in with the new makeover color scheme. So, she wanted me to disassemble the lamps and paint the red parts in a white/gray marble effect. Here are the red lamps plus my doberman, Dancer before the makeover. The most difficult of the makeover in these rooms were the ceramic tiles in the Kitchen, dining area and the guest bath. They were white, but not a typical ceramic tile finish. They were very rough cast, no problem there except the manufacturer had left them unglazed and very porous. We would have them steam cleaned and two weeks later would be dirty and impossible to clean other than with steam. So we had them cleaned once more, then gave them three coats of polyurethane clear gloss, That was a month ago. Still sparkling white and if there is a spot, She can easily remove it with a sponge mop.

Red Lamps.JPG

The new color scheme is various shades of white, gray and a light brown. I dug up the colors needed from my workbench and took the lamps apart. The red metal tubes are quite large and heavy, so this wasn't going to be much like the previous tiny resin ones.

I started with a base coat of Snow White, then sprayed a cloud pattern of Testor's camouflage gray. The last color is actually gray but has a brownish cast. Perfect for what I wanted.
Base coat lamp.JPG

Next, just as with the miniatures, I used three colors of Micro ink pens to draw in the veins.

veins lamp.JPG

Then, more veins.
More veins.JPG

And so on,
another side.JPG

It was about then, I asked myself why I was taking step by step photos and stopped. I did use pastel chalks to finish the marble effect as I did with the smaller versions. Reduce the pastels to a powder and with a large, round, soft brush, pick up the powder and place it where It would resemble marble, then a quick coat of clear gloss to seal it and so on. After I finished both, I sprayed them with clear goss about three coats and let dry.

Then, I assembled the lamps and she put them on the end tables once more. Attached the shades and, Viola! New lamps.

marble lamps01.JPG

Marble lamps02.JPG

Marble lamps03.JPG

During the process, I wound up painting several accent pieces for her. We have a full bar in the media room on the lower level for the museum, but, we bought a metal bar to use on the main floor five years ago when we moved in. It was a weathered dark green color which didn't match at all. So, I gave it a coat of distressed white paint. It's in the corner next to the deck entry. In some of these photos you can see the white ceramic tiles I mentioned above.

To rear deck.JPG

Dining room into the kitchen.

Dining:Kitchen B.JPG

Front entry. I painted the metal sculpture on the wall a distressed white.

Entry.JPG

The Kitchen Island and two white leather counter height stools. Dancer inevitably manages to hog the camera lens!

Kitchen Island.JPG

The newly decorated Living room with a new 80 inch smart TV.

Living room B.JPG

Living room D.JPG

Stair case. Our Salvatore Dali painting of "America in Dalivision". We bought this in Los Angeles in 1982 for $10K when he was still alive. That was 40 years ago!

Stair case.JPG

The Guest Bath. All the countertops throughout the house are white quartz.

Guest bath02.JPG

Well, that's it. Now you know why I have slowed up on modeling! :)

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Attachments

• Marble lamps04.JPG
    Marble lamps04.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
The lamps turned out real nice Bob! I do intend to try and get over your way sometime in the next few months. Just not sure when at this point.

Your house is a masterpiece. As someone who has had 56 mailing addresses (I kid you not) I can appreciate the trials and tribulations of moving. The lamps are lovely and I am certain that you lovely wife will patiently wait until you get around to the next project.

Fantastic Bob! Way to go on those lamps! It's nice to see this house again, even if in pictures.
Thanks Mark!

When I'm finished It won't look much like it did when you were here! You'll have to come back sometime. Most of what I have planned will be in the museum. To open it up so there is more room!

Bob

Your house is a masterpiece. As someone who has had 56 mailing addresses (I kid you not) I can appreciate the trials and tribulations of moving. The lamps are lovely and I am certain that you lovely wife will patiently wait until you get around to the next project.

Thanks Barney!!!

56 mailing addresses???????? We've had 19 and I thought that was some kind of record!!

I am certain that your lovely wife will patiently wait until you get around to the next project.

Yeah, well, maybe not! I'm a very messy worker. My wife is a clean freak. She thinks I should be able to do all that stuff without making a mess. With my work bench looking as it has during our 56 years of marriage, you'd think she would have learned by now! :)

Bob

Bob, I would love to return someday. I do have that on my list to do. Who knows? Maybe I'll be able to help with some of those improvements!

I'm a very messy worker. My wife is a clean freak. She thinks I should be able to do all that stuff without making a mess. With my work bench looking as it has during our 56 years of marriage, you'd think she would have learned by now! :)

Bob
Hear, hear! Same here, different ear!

Regards,

Thanks Barney!!!

56 mailing addresses???????? We've had 19 and I thought that was some kind of record!!

I am certain that your lovely wife will patiently wait until you get around to the next project.

Yeah, well, maybe not! I'm a very messy worker. My wife is a clean freak. She thinks I should be able to do all that stuff without making a mess. With my work bench looking as it has during our 56 years of marriage, you'd think she would have learned by now! :)

Bob
Wow, I've had 4 different addresses all in the same town.

Wow, I've had 4 different addresses all in the same town.
I've had many and all over the world!

My daughter has spent her entire 59 years in Springfield, Missouri and loved every minute of it. It's all in what you want! Different strokes for different folks! :bm:

Bob

I'm with Gator. Not counting college which was 25 miles away, I've had 5 addresses in the last 74 years, and presently live 4 blocks from the hospital building both my wife and I were born in. 2 addresses since 1970. I did enough traveling when I was flying to satisfy myself.

Back