• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Interactive figure painting by Bob and Laura!

100_1738_20100302_1020610530.jpg

100_1740_20100302_1341712646.jpg

I think we can see more shadow and highlights now. If they make any sense it's pure luck. This look ok now?

moon puppy wrote:
With What?? What's the next step, assembly?

one more highlight and maybe one shadow, then assemble the figure!

the highlight would be the important one to get more contrast!

alpine037_20100329_1348047890.jpg

Assembled, broke the smoke, will replace it with something a little more substantial. BRASS! Posted this as is after attaching head and hand. Obvious need some major touch up and cleaning then some seal coat

alpine038_20100329_1136088378.jpg

I wanted to use the other head with the wool cap but I think I cut his head off the pour slab too short and he looked a little like a hunchback.

Really gotta work on the lighting on my photo booth.

Again some touch ups to do again and cleaning up. What's next Teacher?

OH, what colors do I use on the boots?

good job bob! very good!

boots color? i'd say dark brown but i don't know really! if so, try several layers of brown shades, beginning with the darkest moving on to the lighter tones!

apply the darkest brown not too thin and then take most of it away again so that it remains in the recesses only! then, after drying, move on to the lighter tones applying them carefully!

the head still can be used on any u.s. figure you want! if the neck is too short, just push some putty in the corresponding hole in the body so that it cannot be inserted too deep anymore! while still soft insert a wire so that the head can be secured when you add it to the body! i do that very often!

'kay?

Hey Mooners
Looking good there mate. Some nice figures to work with!
The bloke with the handie-talkie has a EM greatcoat on which should come off a milky brown colour. He appears to have the HBT coveralls on which would have a washed out green colour. His jacket looks to be a winter combat jacket which is OD but is more towards khaki, as are the other figures jacket and pants (which seem to be winter coveralls)
The boots in question are probably rough-outs which would have the two buckle fastener. The boots would be a mid brown colour with the above ankle buckles a tan colour...
Look forward to further updates!
Brad

Thanks Brad, the overcoats have been subject of much discussion, should have seen the color they started out.

Will do Laura!

OK, one of you smart ones take a look at the smoking guy's boots. They are not laced but they have clasp, 4 of them. They look more like galoshes. What are they and would they also be brown?

moon puppy wrote:
OK, one of you smart ones take a look at the smoking guy's boots. They are not laced but they have clasp, 4 of them. They look more like galoshes. What are they and would they also be brown?

Mooners, the boots are Arctic overshoes, which were worn over the existing boots and were initially made from rubber. The uppers were changed to canvas at some point when resources were sparse, but then ended up all rubber again. There are 4 clasps featured as you mentioned which would be bare metal, and the rubber remainder would be matt black with a more dark greyish sole.
Brad :)
These are allegedly mint condition WWII overshoes... The colours seem true from what I know...
BpvhN7gBGkKGrHqEOKjUEuZqmElCLBLs-1.jpg

Brad, don't know how I missed your post. I did not see the picture before painting so I hope I hit it right.

What I have done is just a single color so far, back for the overshoes and brown for the boots. I'll get them closer when I figure out what I want to do with them but unless teacher has some more work I need to do. Here's the finished product.

alpine39_20100512_1810893775.jpg

alpine40_20100512_2099107784.jpg

alpine41_20100512_1155108181.jpg

alpine42_20100512_2044339998.jpg

I think I need to brush them off really good. There's been some plastic flying around the shop lately. I also need to put a clear coat on them but I suspect I need to vary the finish between gloss and flat depending on the surface.

also the radio, I went with black, is this correct? I have some insignias to put on them thanks to James, thanks bud! will do that before clear coat.

How about it Teacher?

really good job for first timer figures! :mpup

now strip them down and repaint them!

mwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaharhar!

seriously - like i said, very good job for your first figures! with the next figures i'd say that you go more to the extreme with the color variations, more contrast!

it's a question of experience! the more figures you paint the more guts you develop to paint more contrast!

it would be easier if we lived closer together, then we could do some figure painting side by side and i could give you instant suggestions!

but again -> very well done mr moonpup! :mpup

It is a lot like weathering, you're very apprehensive about it at first because you can't really see the effect in your mind's eye, but once you do it you can see how it works.

thanks so much Laura! you're a great teacher!

Now for the next Class!

There is another class forming up, hasn't been announced yet waiting on the Teacher to take roll call.

I wish I could tell you how many times I flushed it out and did it over. Thanks Ken, 'tain't nuffin...

Back