• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

GRAND SLAM LANCASTER

Wonderful work, Jeeves! :notworthy You guys always have me in awe with your ability to recreate history. :eek:hmy: Some of your builds, notably this one, have me in mingled feelings of excitement and intimidation: I'm very anxious to get my hobby room ready to start my builds, but at the same time I can't help but wonder what I'll be capable of in this plastic realm... :hmmm

Anywhat, your Lancaster is coming along beautifully and that's all that matters here! Even if I don't write much, you can be sure I'm following this build very closely! :dude

Cheers and thanx for sharing! B)
Fernao

Thanks MP and Fernao...

Fernao...you sell yourself too short brother...you do pretty fine work yourself!

Thanks everyone...it's kind of funny- one of the map pics I used was from eBay. Someone was selling a set of RAF navigational maps and the way they were arranged looked just the part ;). Those are the ones under the computer in the front.

I think I remember seeing that back when I first started researching this build...thanks Old Dog...it does look cool! My wife just picked up the new Squadron walkaround book so that ought to be good!

Well-- finally satisfied with the interior bits, I started the process of closing everything up. The fuselage is fitting pretty well so far...but the wings are another story...I maybe should have decided against adding the engine motors but I decided to give them a go...the tops and bottoms don't seem to be meshing well together though...going a few inches at a time with some Tenax...so we shall see.

While waiting for that to dry, I assembled the Grand Slam bomb itself...and decided to show a bit on the size using the dude from Tamiya's Marder kit...
4-19-11_035.jpg

Talk about feeling inadequate!

Are you referring to the engine nacelle fit to the wing or the forward part of the engine cowling ?

Ahh, OK, I did mine in a slightly different order since I had read there were fit issues with the nacelle to the wing, I found that with the forward part off I could look inside the nacelle and see where things mated and didn't and work that way. I ended up getting the fit good enough that I didn't need filler between the nacelle and wing which is always a bear to deal with. Be glad you doing the newer release of the kit (gray plastic) I'm also doing the original issue kit in black plastic and the fit on the newer issue is definitely better. The plastic itself is better, the black is really brittle. I haven't fit the forward parts together yet, that may be a different story ! Good luck !

OK...bomb's done...I'll need to flatten it a bit and even out the grease spots here and there ;)
5-1-11_006.jpg

5-1-11_007.jpg

The red rings are the Tamiya decal and I usually don't have much luck with these types of decals, but this one went on smoothly!

Thanks Laura and Martin...

Yeah...they had to remove the entire bomb bay and a couple turrets in order to get this 22,000 pound sucker of the ground! That really put those 4 Merlin engines to their max!

OK...bomb's done...I'll need to flatten it a bit and even out the grease spots here and there ;)

can't be eatin' chicken and modeling... :Hiay

Looks fine Mike, I'm impressed that they could move the thing around on the ground at the time. That's about the same weigh as much as a fully loaded ALCM pylon used on the B52s.

Back