• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" at the Battle of Quatre Bras, June, 1815

Steve Ski

54mm Resin, Sculpted by Vladimir Danilov, offered by Castle Miniatures.

_DSC03-vi.jpg

Like a fish out of water I am completely out of my element starting this set. The Battle of Waterloo is not my normal area of study, nor are the bright and brilliant colors something I’m use to painting. In fact, I’ve never done anything so elaborate or complex as this set of figures in such tight proximity to each other, or this color scheme. The sculpting is really impressive, to say the least. I can only hope I do it justice in the end.

So, rather than dip my big toe in the pool, I dove right into the deep end, head first. What else was I gonna do? I felt drawn to this set as soon as I saw it offered. It was a serious toss up over a few days of angst as to whether I would build a 1/35th scale UH-1N with a weapons load crew or this set of “Black Watch” figures at Waterloo. I had both scenarios laid out on the bench as I pondered each. Once my mind was made up it was straight off to research, and thankfully, Alexandre Khokhriakov and Castle Miniatures themselves provided plenty of study material.

I figured if I could knock out a decent rendition of a Denison Smock camo pattern, I should be able to handle the Black Watch Campbell tartan, and the battle flag, and socks. Well, we’ll soon find out, won’t we? HA! I’ve watched a few gals paint flags for miniatures on YT, they’re incredible. These gals got talent, so I will be using their work as reference material on that portion of this build. This is all new to me!

Black_Watch__Campbell_tartan-vi.png

FlagB-vi.jpg

Eleven figures complete this dynamic battle scene, all cast in resin. I was impressed with how clean these figures were and the lack of any major issues to deal with. A little time spent carefully removing any seem lines or slag is all I’m finding necessary to get these figures ready for the brush. I decided to keep some kind of order with all these little parts by using a half pint mason jar crate with some added foam padding at the bottom of each divided section. I numbered these guys as they were being cleaned up and worked, just to keep track of who gets what part. So far, so good.

_DSC0375b-vi.jpg

_DSC0390b-vi.jpg

After cleaning three figures I decided to get started on the flag. I wanted to work the emblems and details in between the figure clean-up, (oils take time to dry), so I can spend as much time needed to get this flag correct. There’s going to be a lot of freehand work here and quite a bit of trial and error as well. I’ll seal the oils on this flag in a few days when it’s complete, then start laying out the emblems on both sides. This is gonna be a hoot, I can already tell. Wish me luck!

The basic layout of the colors was not too difficult, but only a matter of keeping every section in proper proportion. Tamiya’s model tape really helped work around those curves. I used Vallejo’s Model Colors; Red, Blue, and White acrylics for the base tones. Next was the standard oil applications of shadows and highlights. There are still a few areas of the white stripes that need attention, but this first side is pretty much complete. You can see the new palette of colors I have spread out for this project, mostly Windsor Newton oils.

_DSC0380b-vi.jpg

_DSC0383b-vi.jpg

_DSC0386b-vi.jpg

I’m actually pretty excited to be working this set, it’s a challenge. How do we expand our talent, challenge the norm, work it and keep learning? And there you have it, and therefore,……….. I forge onward😉

More to follow soon and thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

Flag is looking good. I just finished reading Bernard Cornwell's book on Waterloo. Its doesn't get bogged down on the minutia of tactics and troop movements and uses personal accounts of the troops on the ground to tell the story.

Through my maternal grandmother, a member of the the family was one of the three leaders of the ill-fated mutiny of the 43rd Highland Regiment of Foot, as they were known until 1748. The regiment had been raised to serve only in Scotland and were moved to London under the pretense of an inspection by the King. They were instead taken to a port for transportation to Flanders. The mutineers were intercepted north of London and the leaders taken to the Tower of London and executed by firing squad that summer. Since then, Clan Shaw has had a second tartan in the Black Watch colours with the thin black stripe replaced with a thin red stripe in memory of Private Farquhar Shaw.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks, Shark, I appreciate those kid words.

Wow, Rich, there's a lot going on there. It was difficult to relate to until I began digging into the research material provided. Lots of moving parts for an Olive Drab kinda guy, lol. I have already been presented with unit errors and actual battle participations by several different units. I'll be scratching my head over this one as well, but I have already heard of the Shaw Clan, but not the red stripes on the tartan. Learn something new every day. Thanks for the intel on that, Rich.

P.S. Whatever unit I run on this will have an effect on the flag and how it is portrayed, so I better figure this out, mue pronto.

Congratulations on getting our flag the right way up :) A lot of people dont ...;

Thank you, Paddy. Funny, I got a correction request on Planetfigure already, something about the oblique red band not being centered. However, each of those bands follows the example above, none being centered but off to the right or left, respectively. The emblems in the center will be the true test of my ability to paint a tiny decorative set lines, HA!

Still Working the Flag, Cleaning Figures

I finished oiling the other side of the flag. It’s not real clear, but the shadows and highlights have been completed. I gave the flag three days to dry, then applied a dull coat to seal the work. I will begin playing with how to paint the emblems on the flag today. This is going to stretch my abilities, but I’m game.

_DSC0395b-vi.jpg

While waiting for the flag to dry completely I continued with prepping the figures. Next up, the Bag Piper, oh boy! There are so many delicate parts on that pipe I really have to take my time. This is gonna be a hoot, cause I’m really not into replacing broken parts.

_DSC0398b-vi.jpg

I’ve decided to try and place a printed decal over the flag and mark the key points for reference. Not sure how this will work, but I’m going to get it figured out. If you’ve ever watched these gals paint flags, you’ll be amazed.

Olga Kropotova

Julia Moshura

My wife watched these videos and said “Women put on war-paint every day, of course they can paint like this.” I recon she’s right, HA! These gals have an incredible talent, to say the least.

_DSC0401b-vi.jpg
I will post more photos of the flag progress,…………or not. Lol. More to follow soon.

Cheers, Ski.

Flag Details

Well, after playing around with the printed decal I decided the only way to get this done was to trace out a thin sketch of the details free hand, in white acrylics, and get started. The decal proved cumbersome and would not cooperate around all those fine bends and creases.

The first photo is the outline laid out, the following are progression photos starting with the gold colors and then the black circle. There’s still a bit of clean-up around that circle, then lay in the letters, but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I will go over the gold one more time, it appears a bit faded. I used AK’s 472 Gold for that portion.

After the gold was laid in, I started on the flowers. As you can see, I’m nowhere near the delicate and nimble painter Olga or Julia are, but I’m going to run with it. This wasn’t as difficult as I had expected. It looks more dauting than it really is. I recon if I made this a practice, I might actually get good at it, HA,……………..ok, back to work.

_DSC0403b-vi.jpg

_DSC0405b-vi.jpg
_DSC0408b-vi.jpg

_DSC0410b-vi.jpg

Painting the right side of the flag only took about three hours, so I let it sit over might before continuing on to the left side. Finding a really decent flag to use as reference was not easy at all, so there is a bit of artistic license being used on the actual design. I really could have used an up-close photo of the emblems. The flowers appear a bit bright right now, but I will tone those down just a bit with an oil wash or feathering. They make a good contrast right now, so I won’t get too carried away with it.

_DSC0412b-vi.jpg
_DSC0420b-vi.jpg

Next up, the Sphinx and wreath, lettering within the circle, and finish any details missed. Thanks for watching.

Cheers, Ski.

Looking Really Good! If you really want to feel daunted, just look at some of the painted gaming miniatures on Dakka Dakka. Even more, a lot of them are entirely hand painted. I must say that this flag looks as good as many I have seen there.

Sphinx, Wreath and Letter Definition

This is just a quick update on the smaller details and minor adjustments to the lettering. The left side of this flag is complete for the time being. I know the lettering and other features appear rather bright right now, but they will be toned down later.

The AK Gold was a royal pain to work with. Not only are the fumes toxic, but the paint dries faster than I’d like it too. With such a small amount of paint on the brush workability time was too short. My 3M respirator filter is really difficult to work around, the filter impedes the brush when working that close. So, acrylic tones in the golden yellow range became the logical solution. I went over the leaves and other details with oils as well for more tonal definition. I will continue cleaning the remainder of the figures until this sets up for a few days, then work the right side of this flag.

Quick note: The sphinx and white “X” within the blue emblem were shaded with oils to coincide with the existing shadows in the appropriate places.

_DSC0421b-vi.jpg
_DSC0423b-vi.jpg

Thanks for watching. Cheers, Ski.

Back