• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" at the Battle of Quatre Bras, June, 1815

Rifleman

Saving the easiest one for last,….well almost last, this rifleman was very straight forward in painting. Using all the techniques as mentioned before this paint went smoothly. One change was to use a “liner” brush for the tartan black stripes, as someone had mentioned I do. I hesitated to use it, but decided; heck, there’s enough room to screw this up and clean it, why not. With a little more practice I think I’ll have this brush type dialed in, but there was certainly a learning curve that came with that brush. I’m now a convert! Stretch the envelope, right?

_DSC0666b-vi.jpg
_DSC0668b-vi.jpg

_DSC0674b-vi.jpg
_DSC0679b-vi.jpg

I hear the drums a-beating, ratta tat tat, ratta tat tat,………………… Yes, Drummer Boy is next up to bat. He’s got a lot of fluff to him as well.

Now comes the sneak-peak. This really looks pretty shabby, IMHO, but when it’s all painted and shaded correctly, I don’t think much will be noticed. I certainly can’t get that “high speed, low drag” intense brush work on this drum as others have done, but I know my limitations, and this is one of them. Who knows, when it’s all said and done, I may scrub it and repaint it. It won’t be the first time I’ve done a scrubbing, lol.

_DSC0676b-vi.jpg

Thanks for watching, all comments welcome, of course. Cheers, Ski.

Something to consider is that you "don't have to" use a brush to paint with. You can use toothpicks that are sharpened or modded. You can use a needle or piece of wire. Anything that can pick up and place paint "just where you want it" can be used.

You can use toothpicks that are sharpened or modded. You can use a needle or piece of wire. Anything that can pick up and place paint "just where you want it" can be used.
Thanks for the suggestion, Amigo, but remember, there is absolutely no control over the paint flow once you start. What I'm finding is laying the liner brush down into the paint on its side, which allows it to suck up a reserve, then apply. I've long ago ditched the pointed rigid applicators; they don't work for my purposes. Some guys have lots of luck, but not me, HA! Now, if I had a neutron microscope, things might be different, lol. The younger we get the easier it gets right? ;)

Thanks, MP.

The drum looks ok to me ? maybe heavy on the rope ? but macro lenses can mess with your head :) and are more critical than the human eye.....

f5ab316f3eda14339660b2348fe2a084.png

Thanks, Paddy.

I'm glad that's not the correct drum for the 42nd, that would be a nightmare! I've been working it today and may not have to start over, shewwwwwww!

Ha ha no, it was carried at waterloo but i was just referring to the rope :)
Roger that, but all I saw was the pattern of that emblem. You were giving me the shakes, Bahahahaaaaaa.

I didn't have to redo the drum after all. Once it's dry enough to dull coat I'll post some pics. I think it will fly. Well, maybe not enough for the button counters, but I'm gonna let it fly, HA!

TBH if i could produce a model drum like that i would probably give up model making having completely mastered it :) where do you go when you have reached the top....Excellent.

where do you go when you have reached the top....Excellent.
Oh boy, that is very kind of you, but I'm a long way off from reaching the top. It's a goal to reach for, but it'll never happen hence the phrase, "It's the journey, not always the destination." I'm a Candy Striper compared to many, but thanks for the kind words.

Back