• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

GRAND SLAM LANCASTER

Re: The 10 ton bomb

Saul...

Yeah...2 out of the 5 frets are colored...mostly instrument, radio, and radar faces...as well as dials and buttons. The other three I sprayed MM British Interior Green...the kit instructions call for Sky...this color is a good compromise between Sky and the usual Gray-Green...but I should have primed them first. No biggie...when all is in, I'll touch yhings up!

MP...about a month. They are out of production, but I was offered a used one and grabbed it up. It is really a treat now to work with what used to be dreaded PE ;)

I bet, good score, I've only heard good things about them.

The PE work is looking fine in there also!

Thanks MP!

I did more work last night but didn't take pics as I headed right to bed...I am fighting off a touch of bronchitis so balancing model time and sleep is a real bear...

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Terry B)

Hey, Jeeves
I'll certainly be watching this build. My uncle was a navigator in a Lancaster -- a northern-Irishman in the Royal Air Force. He flew missions over Germany and belly landed upon return from one. After the war, he came to the "States" and joined the American Air force, from which he retired.
Peace and Love,
Randy

Thanks Terry and Randy...

Terry-- I need sleep more than anything, but I get started on modeling and before you know it, it's after midnight! Geez ;)

Randy-- I sure hope I do it justice for you ;)

Some more pics folks...I am too tired to go set up the photo area-- so welcome to my kitchen counter ;) It's weird how pebbly these pre-painted Eduard pieces look under the sharp eye of the camera...
1-3-11_010.jpg

More of the right front side...
1-3-11_011.jpg

Love how these radio boxes came out-- wish the pic did it justice...
1-3-11_012.jpg

On to the left side-- rear cockpit area...
1-3-11_013.jpg

And left front...that box on the floor got a little mangled by my overzealous folding...gotta remember that whole take yer time thing!! I will try to touch up the racks and sand off some of that glue below...
1-3-11_014.jpg

I have a question for you expert types...I am new to this whole PE thing...and Eduard has on the edge of one of the frets three different-sized sets of teardrop shaped holes...do these serve any purpose?? Thanks for looking!

I think the ovals etc are templates to rescribe lost detail. It doesnt say anywhere and I cant remember for sure.
The build is coming along very nicely. One thing I do when using the Eduard sets, is place a drop of future in the instrument openings to simulate the glass, It also adds a bit of bonding to hold the 2 pieces together.
James

Thanks James...yeah that makes sense!

Yeah I usually do the Future step as well...thanks fir reminding me. I think I will spend tomorrow's time by cleaning up the small fixes I have to make and then adding those faces...as opposed to adding new detail.

Oh wow that looks great!! I think I'm going to love this color photo etch.

Terry B)

Looks good. although overdone for the scale, the pebbly finish is how many instruments looked. I usually use semi-gloss paint to try to achieve the effect without the grain.

... Eduard has on the edge of one of the frets three different-sized sets of teardrop shaped holes...do these serve any purpose?

The tear drop shapes are to make clear lights. They would work really nice if the PE was not so flimsy. Heat the end of some clear sprue until it starts to mushroom (make friends with car modelers so you can get different colored translucent sprues), now push it through the tear drop shape.

Eduard does the same with the armor by offering hex shaped holes for nuts.

Regards,

Yes, I think the picture does pick up the that surface too much, also remember pictures add 10 lbs to guys in Hawaiian shirts...

Very nice work on the bringing out the details, the dry brushing. Really gives it the depth effect.

Thanks everyone!

Terry-- it is a treat to be sure. I am going to be kind of sad when it is all on the model as this is the most fun I have had in a while ;)

Saul-- that makes sense about the pebbly appearance. Thanks for the help on the holes-- I remember now that that was their purpose but had forgotten...

Thanks MP-- much to do still...but having fun enjoying the ride...

I updated the crappy kitchen counter pics and added a couple more...added a couple coats of Future to these dials...might need more- what do you think?
1-10-11_001.jpg

1-10-11_002.jpg

Worked on the pilot seat-- added the frame and the bottle basket...I have had to be careful what I add from this PE set as the Grand Slam Lanc had so many structural and crew modifications from the norm...
1-10-11_003.jpg

This is the area where the instrument panel and such will attach...added these pouches and control boxes...thank goodness for that Fender Bender!
1-10-11_004.jpg

Here's the IP-- still have a couple sections to add...and again, maybe more Future to the gauges...
1-10-11_005.jpg

And the rest are the parts for the radio deck...some different views...
1-10-11_006.jpg

1-10-11_007.jpg

Didn't realize this one was blurry until too late :(
1-10-11_008.jpg

As I have never noticed or worried about them before- but now don't want to mar my PE work...any ideas on fixing these sink marks? I was thinking Squadron putty...but I am afraid of adding too much...the edges themselves are pretty slim-- so any sheet styrene punches might be too thick...not sure I have a punch that big anyways...

Scrape with a rounded scalpel blade, then touch up the paint. Before you do that, tape the fuselage and see if the pin marks are visible, only work on those that are.

Regards and nice work,

That seems pretty easy...thanks Saul! I have a couple old ones (with new blades!) out of some of our old dissecting kits that ought to do the trick!

Thanks Terry...these PE sets make us look good ;)

I found out the Walk Around book isn't due out until mid-Feb. There are good web references, but since my laptop crapped out I am restricted to using my iTouch which makes it difficult to see the big picture (literally!). So I found another book on the Lanc which will provide detailed pics of the stations which will help on the details...just need to figure out which stations weren't there on the "Special".

As I have never noticed or worried about them before- but now don't want to mar my PE work...any ideas on fixing these sink marks? I was thinking Squadron putty...but I am afraid of adding too much...the edges themselves are pretty slim-- so any sheet styrene punches might be too thick...not sure I have a punch that big anyways...

hmm ... are you sure, you will see them, when everything is in place?

If yes, well as Saul said, level them and repaint them.

Your PE works looks greta.

Back