• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy 1/35 Tiger-I early version...

As I've stated, I'm way outta my comfort zone on this build so, am relying on y'all to help guide me into the world of [strike]targ[/strike]Tanks. Seems there's little references on the Early Tiger-I [that I can find anyways] What is the concensus on the color of the interior of the engine compartment & the engine/transmission themselves?
Thanks for any advice y'all can provide. :drinks

http://www.miniatures.de/camouflage-german-panzer-interior.html

h7bb7874.png

As I've stated, I'm way outta my comfort zone on this build so, am relying on y'all to help guide me into the world of [strike]targ[/strike]Tanks. Seems there's little references on the Early Tiger-I [that I can find anyways] What is the concensus on the color of the interior of the engine compartment & the engine/transmission themselves?
Thanks for any advice y'all can provide. :drinks

http://www.miniatures.de/camouflage-german-panzer-interior.html

h7bb7874.png

Thanks Piet (y) But, I'm working on an early Tiger-I not a Panzer ;) OK, so Red& the engine compartment would be a Blue-grey? Ok, just noticed the link with this... :facepalm :tomato

:eek:ldguy A Tiger is a panzer (means tank in German) and all these color codes apply to all German tanks (panzers) (y)

And yet one would wonder why Germans refer to their Mercedes automobile as a Panzer :rotf :rotf :rotf

Guess it might help to be there though :facepalm

I got word that the figures & barrel have been found & so now, I gess I need to start thinking about paints for them... So, what y'all recommend for painting German figures? I'm thinking the Commander in a Black uniform & the others in the Blue. :hmmm
105613-10911.jpg

Don't think I'll use all of them on this...

It depends on when and where you are modeling the Tiger, but if it's an early and you're comfortable with black, it's be fine for all. Pink piping on the epaulettes of all, around the entire trim of the front for the commander if you'd like with possible silver on the epaulettes depending on unit and rank.

Early panzer tunics were black wool because the grime and oil doesn't show up. The later SS had camo tunics with or without black leather trousers pilfered from Uboat supplies (they used grey, so black went unused) and Sturmartillerie (Stugs, etc) used the grey-green.

Officers may have tailored examples, but would be of the same design. Piping color around the trim denoted the unit designation, i.e., panzer was pink, medical was blue, etc...

I don't recall blue being used anywhere, but some StuG crews had a dark denim type for summer. Russian tank crews had blue overalls.

It depends on when and where you are modeling the Tiger, but if it's an early and you're comfortable with black, it's be fine for all. Pink piping on the epaulettes of all, around the entire trim of the front for the commander if you'd like with possible silver on the epaulettes depending on unit and rank.

Early panzer tunics were black wool because the grime and oil doesn't show up. The later SS had camo tunics with or without black leather trousers pilfered from Uboat supplies (they used grey, so black went unused) and Sturmartillerie (Stugs, etc) used the grey-green.

Officers may have tailored examples, but would be of the same design. Piping color around the trim denoted the unit designation, i.e., panzer was pink, medical was blue, etc...

I don't recall blue being used anywhere, but some StuG crews had a dark denim type for summer. Russian tank crews had blue overalls.

Yeah, an early -I in Russia ca. 1942. Thanks for mentioning the pink piping. I recall an old WWII movie with Lee Marvin & they came upon a german tank and something wasn't right about the piping on the uniform,tipping him off to an ambush.

Blue...??? I think you would be safe following the colors on the box art.

The pea dot pattern wasn't issued until 1944, so you won't have to be bothered with trying to do that.

Tom

Blue...??? I think you would be safe following the colors on the box art.

The pea dot pattern wasn't issued until 1944, so you won't have to be bothered with trying to do that.

Tom

Thanks. I had seen some German tank crew figures that were in Blue uniforms. (Like Sgt. Schultz's uniform) Seen the camo too but, not even gonna attempt to do them. I'll have enuff problems doing Black uniforms!! :frantic

BTW, when painting black uniforms, adding a bit of "flesh" color to the black is an
easy way to soften it, and make it not look so black. Then you can use pure black for shadows.

Tom

BTW, when painting black uniforms, adding a bit of "flesh" color to the black is an
easy way to soften it, and make it not look so black. Then you can use pure black for shadows.

Tom

:hmmm Thanks. I suck at painting figures. I appreciate the tip :drinks

Although I got a fullplate right now, I'll be ripping bags open & give the parts a bath... :evil: :eek:hyeah :soldier :soldier :drinks

Ok, bags have been ripped open, parts washed & air dried recently. :geek May get to cuttin' sprue Early next year :hmmm :drinks

While at the bench earlier, while working on the Kfir...
wouldn't ya know it, the big box full of TIger parts jumped off the bench
No words can express what had happened....so, here's the result...
:frantic :gogo
h4045ead_2016-01-18.JPG

h7ee6443_2016-01-18.JPG

Sprue was cut & a few pieces found the glue :tomato :tomato

Now I notice the ejector pin marks... :blink Should I fill them in?

Check the other parts and see if they cover them. Those ones in the middle I bet will need filling. :popcorn

Back