• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Shelf Queen - TriMaster Fw-190 A8 R11 Night Fighter - Finished

Nothing you did wrong Alex. I consider you a friend. What you posted just kind of hit me wrong and I was aware of that. It strongly reminded me of a post on another site and I won't visit that site to this day even though it's content is mainly what I like to build.

I am glad that things seem to be getting better over your way and that you are doing well. I think a lot of what is going on here is being sensationalized by our messed up media.

I have a quick update. I have been doing a bit of cleanup and redo on the paint job and I believe it is now ready for decals.

Fw190 A8-R11-46.jpg
Fw190 A8-R11-47.jpg
Fw190 A8-R11-48.jpg

It is off to a good restart now. More to come.

Been fighting with the decals this afternoon/evening. Yes it is being really difficult. Some of the smaller stencil decals are going on fairly well. The larger ones have splits and tears. One side cross was split down the middle about 3/4 of the way. I soaked it until it was well and ready to slide and was able to place it. It was a toughie. The worst was the nose emblem on the left side. There were two sets of these. One with the writing at the bottom and one without. The first one disintegrated basically. All I had was the bottom with the script. So I punted and used the clean one and got it on. Then I place the text over it. It's on, but will need some slight blending as the double thick yellow is easy to see some difference.

3dfou.gif

Lots of little stencil decals. One of the "No Push" decals on the red trim tabs wadded up. They needed to be trimmed on one side next to the printing to make work. This is what I told Bob about practice. I am very rusty on decals, so this is getting me all up to snuff in a hurry. I should have photos later today.

I have been fighting with the decals for the last few days. Old decals and couldn't tell when or if they were broken or going to break or tear. Mostly they were fine, but I had one very bad issue with the squadron emblem on the nose. I managed to work it out, but WOW! I needed some decaling practice and this kit gave it in spades.

Fw190 A8-R11-49.jpg
Fw190 A8-R11-50.jpg
Fw190 A8-R11-51.jpg
Fw190 A8-R11-52.jpg
Fw190 A8-R11-53.jpg
Fw190 A8-R11-54.jpg
Fw190 A8-R11-55.jpg

I think the worst is now over. There needs to be a little paint sprayed over several decals to tone them down or cover the edges a little bit. Then it is weathering and on to final assembly.

Looking good Paul! Looks really good and glad you got the decals down. Its hard to tell they were an issue at all.

Your concerns with the tape reminded me that my F-15 has been sitting with the cockpit and canopy masked off for 6 years now. I hope there are no surprises!

Thanks for looking in guys!

Looking good Paul! Looks really good and glad you got the decals down. Its hard to tell they were an issue at all.

Your concerns with the tape reminded me that my F-15 has been sitting with the cockpit and canopy masked off for 6 years now. I hope there are no surprises!
Yeah, Mike, I saw that and kind of did the "Oh Crap!" remark. We tend to do that and then forget about it. I did get lucky and the tape didn't remove or mess with the paint underneath. I am sure some paint will tend to be affected by the adhesive, luckily I used enamels and they seemed to be OK.

I noticed this morning that a couple of the dashed lines decals on the wings had a little silvering. I will work on them a little later. As I think I stated, this is turning into a practice model. Lots of things I did or didn't do when I first worked on it that had to be addressed. Still a ways to go, but mostly just detail stuff and weathering.

Oh and something I tried and it seems to work. Instead of using a brush to coat the top of the decal with Solvaset or Micro Sol, I put it in the airbrush and drop the pressure WAY DOWN! Then use the airbrush air to push out the water and air bubbles from under the bigger decals. I start a ways off the model in the center of the decal and slowly come close and then work outward. Then I back off and spritz some Sol on the top.

Oh and something I tried and it seems to work. Instead of using a brush to coat the top of the decal with Solvaset or Micro Sol, I put it in the airbrush and drop the pressure WAY DOWN! Then use the airbrush air to push out the water and air bubbles from under the bigger decals. I start a ways off the model in the center of the decal and slowly come close and then work outward. Then I back off and spritz some Sol on the top.

Good suggestion Paul, It's looking fine!!

That seems worth a try

Just to not lead anyone astray on the airbrush on the decals, I have air regulators on my brushes "at the brush". When I say the pressure is "WAY DOWN" it is with good reason. If the pressure is too high and the decal is a bit delicate, the air can tear it and flip parts over. Some decals work easier than others. Some I have a little hand blower that I use that puffs out.

Tonight I painted over the side crosses on the bottom and toned down the dotted strips on the wings. I was also able to get rid of the silvering.

Thanks for looking in Alex!

The silvering was actually quite easy to get rid of. I simply placed a small amount of Solvaset (not Micro Sol) on the area which showed exactly where the silvering was happening. Then I took my special hole centering tool (which is very sharp) and poked at the problem areas. The Solvaset flowed underneath perfectly, and since it has a "setting" ability as well as a solvent ability, the silvering is completely gone.

Back