• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell Ju88 A1 in 1/32 scale

Heavens Eagle

I believe this beastie was the build that fully brought me to MA if I look into the way back machine. I think that old thread is still around, but I don't recommend looking it up as my posting style is much better these days. Also there will be a lot more of the in process detail that was left out back then so you will definitely want to follow along on this one.
The Stuka is taking another break. It made great strides, but I got to where I just didn't want to go there right now. Hopefully this will cross the finish line this time. The kit is really a good kit and the fit is quite good. The detailing is a little soft in some areas as opposed to very crisp and sharp detail, but it is good. Revell really did their homework when doing this one and while I have added a lot and modified more, it was only from my desire to do the extra detail that it deserves rather than have to do a lot of corrective rework that never seemed to end.
The first posts are going to be reviews and a deep run through of all the build that went on in the beginning. I have already decided that I am going to pull the Eduard PE instrument panel items and replace them with the new Quinta Studios decals. They will make the cockpit pop even more than it currently does.
As for reference I used and will be using a lot of photos from the Ju88 A1 that has been undergoing restoration and rebuilding over in Norway. That plane is what this kit is based on, and they have been quite diligent in the restoration process to get it absolutely correct. Makes it so easy to paint the cockpit.

Anyway, time for the first installment. This is as much for me. as it is to bring everyone else up to speed. I still have all the old build photos and reference material as well as my revision notes.
Enjoy!

RR Ju88a1-000.jpg

RR Ju88a1-001.jpg

RR Ju88a1-002.jpg

RR Ju88a1-003.jpg

RR Ju88a1-004.jpg

RR Ju88a1-005.jpg

RR Ju88a1-006.jpg

RR Ju88a1-007.jpg

RR Ju88a1-008.jpg

RR Ju88a1-009.jpg

RR Ju88a1-010.jpg

RR Ju88a1-011.jpg

RR Ju88a1-012.jpg

RR Ju88a1-013.jpg

That's all for now. I will be posting more in a day or two, once I wade through all the old build info and photos.

3D-Cheersmate.gif

This will be fun to watch!
I love the new wave of 3d printed cockpit decals, but I wish Quinta would give you the matching paint color like Red Fox does. Makes life so much easier.

I remember this build!

:popcorn
Yeah Warren, it has been a really long while. There have been things going through my head on it ever since, all I needed was an excuse to revisit it. Have tried to be on a crusade lately of finishing existing builds. This has been one of them on my list.
The list of what I want to get done are now as follows:
>Redo the cockpit with the Quinta stuff, and finish detailing it out.
>Finish detailing up the main gear wells and get them assembled.
>Tweak and finish the tail wheel well.
>With brass wire build the tubing frame for the cockpit glass. I have a plan for this which requires building a jig. We will see how THAT goes.
>Finish the build. I have the markings and setting all chosen with a couple of reference photos.

A little teaser update. Have been working on getting all the info, posts, photos etc. put together so they make some sense and show what I want to show. The old stuff kind of sucked.
Anyway, here is how it has been stored. I have these clear boxes that I got from work a number of years ago. New watches came in them and the name "watch coffins" was mentioned by someone and it stuck. They are really great as they are pretty stout, decent sized and when shut have no way for even a tiny nut or bolt head to fall out. 👍 They also stack and lock together so they don't tend to slide around when stacked.

RR Ju88a1-014.jpg

RR Ju88a1-015.jpg

RR Ju88a1-016.jpg

RR Ju88a1-017.jpg

:plane :popcorn You are temping me to bring out one of my shelf queens.............:hmm:
This was never a shelf queen due to a bad kit, I just went through some kind of change at the time and had to put it away. There was a lot of good work here, and some that I now can improve on fairly (I think) easily. I am looking forward to it.

Hey all, I am going to keep doing little updates as I go through and review what I did before. Here are another few photos and updates. Starting to get into some of the meat of the build now. Some of this is a mid step that was in the middle of the build, some is of current state of a part. I am trying to just do stuff that would have information for ground work for where it ends up now (helps me remember what the 🤬 I was doing or thinking).

RR Ju88a1-018.jpg

RR Ju88a1-019.jpg

RR Ju88a1-020.jpg

RR Ju88a1-021.jpg

RR Ju88a1-022.jpg

RR Ju88a1-024.jpg

RR Ju88a1-025.jpg

RR Ju88a1-026.jpg

The next installment should be quite interesting as I did a huge amount of scratch building for the back of the fuselage tail wheel well. Not much correction as much as ADDING things, LOTS of things that can be mostly seen through the opening in the bottom of the fuselage.

Nice build blog paul, looking forward to seeing the progress here.

Footnote/ When i was a kid in the 70's we found a JU88 in the woods about a mile from my home. It had gone in and as was often the case it had just been filled in on top with soil. It was a lone night raider shot down by a night fighter Mosquito from RAF West Malling about 50 miles away.
Visible on the surface were acres of self sealing fuel tank rubber , a main wing spar and undercarriage/tyre. There had obviously been a fire and i found a leg bone, side arm bullets and some money ...A few years later news got out and a team moved in and excavated it.

Thanks for looking in guys. I think you will find the next installment rather interesting. Something I didn't have to do, but decided that it would be fun to do anyway.

OK, got busy tonight and here is another update where I am going through all the old build stuff, reviewing it and making sense out of what I did back then. In some cases it is a little rough as I am working with OLD photos, but it is holding up well and my posting skills have definitely improved. This is almost as much work as doing the build. ;)
On with the show!

RR Ju88a1-027.jpg

RR Ju88a1-028.jpg

RR Ju88a1-029.jpg

RR Ju88a1-030.jpg

RR Ju88a1-031.jpg

RR Ju88a1-032.jpg

RR Ju88a1-033.jpg

RR Ju88a1-034.jpg

RR Ju88a1-035.jpg

RR Ju88a1-036.jpg

RR Ju88a1-037.jpg

RR Ju88a1-038.jpg

RR Ju88a1-039.jpg

RR Ju88a1-040.jpg

I will get some more out here soon. Now need to go do some real lathe work. Thanks for looking in and commenting.

Actually Bob you can see a whole lot of this as the openings are fairly large. Remember this is a 1/32 scale aircraft and it ends up being fairly large. Not gigantic like a B-17, but fairly large. Thus, while you don't necessarily notice things being missing as not many folks are familiar with the plane to the extent that I have become. When all the extra stuff is there, it does make a difference.
Speaking of difference. Here is the review and write up on what and how I did the main landing gear bay doors with a little tid bit that was left off the tail gear well.

RR Ju88a1-041.jpg

RR Ju88a1-042.jpg

RR Ju88a1-043.jpg

RR Ju88a1-044.jpg

RR Ju88a1-045.jpg

RR Ju88a1-046.jpg

RR Ju88a1-047.jpg

RR Ju88a1-048.jpg

RR Ju88a1-049.jpg

RR Ju88a1-050.jpg

RR Ju88a1-051.jpg

RR Ju88a1-052.jpg

RR Ju88a1-053.jpg

RR Ju88a1-054.jpg

I think the next bit is on the main landing gear. It really gets quite a bit involved as there is a LOT of detail that wasn't done right on them.

Back