• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 SCALE BLACK WIDOW - BANGED -UP OF COURSE

Looking good. Mine is on temp hold until my PE gets here. For the wing roots, were the inserts not enough? Or should I look at adding more plastic in there over top of the inserts?
James

Hey James,
the sheet plastic I added to the right side was just to reinforce and fill the modified, detached molded wing root. You don't need to do anything if you are building it as normal.

Thanks Saul, MR, Luiz and Christian.

Ian.

Wish I had not looked at all those rebuilding efforts :blink Now I'm wanting to build one....smaller of course :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

All that work is looking awesome Ian!

Can someone tell me what was in the area of the fuse below the top mounted turret guns of the P-61? Was it just ammunition, empty space or something else?

All that work is looking awesome Ian!

Can someone tell me what was in the area of the fuse below the top mounted turret guns of the P-61? Was it just ammunition, empty space or something else?

Thanks Warren.

All I know about directly underneath the turret is that there is a round mechanical bath for the turret M's and their mechanical paraphernalia - I suppose the ammo lived in or around this somewhere.
Hope I haven't stated the obvious.

Ian

Excellent work Ian,

It's been awhile and mate your pouring it on .

Well done the early stages are looking good.

Michael

Just going back to the early discussion about if that skin damage was torn or cut, check this pic,

tornskin.jpg~original

skin is torn fairly straight so may help you out a bit when doing that damage.

:pilot
A little more progress with Holiday time......

Working on the cockpit extra's still. Eduard have done a great job but it isn't a walk in the park trying to fit everything in with the original plastic and keep track of the replaced parts.
Also the Trumpeter brass is very stiff and does not bend easily so please be aware that the finer PE frame parts on this kit are quite difficult even with the Etchmate to bend them .

This was a 'doosy', bending and gluing the reinforcement framing for each side of the gunner's cockpit area.
Ended-up gluing it by folding everything in place and using 'thin' application super glue and letting it run down the length of the part catching each rib as it went.

20131225_163743_zps33ad88b6.jpg

IMG_1597_zpsec6205f5.jpg

IMG_1588_zpse3ba4159.jpg

Main thing is to keep track of what you are replacing and keep test fitting...please keep in mind that these are taken a super macro level and do not look this rough at normal vision levels.

IMG_1582_zps4c6cdd00.jpg

IMG_1581_zpse0982ec1.jpg
IMG_1583_zpsaf097b95.jpg

I recorded the original part number on the back of the modified part if I took it off the sprue, others I applied the changes on the sprue itself. Some parts had to have their detail sanded off, and when they recommended the brass to replace the plastic,I still tried to retain the plastic box shape as a strong base under the brass - sometimes this meant a reduction in shape size.

IMG_1584_zps9e3bb278.jpg

IMG_1585_zps847a13b8.jpg

IMG_1592_zpsb8e8d7b0.jpg

IMG_1593_zps0a92d3a8.jpg

IMG_1602_zps79ae86b7.jpg

I also have replaced the ribbed hose provided in the kit as I thought I could get a better effect by wrapping it in wire - this also solved the seam line problem.
IMG_1599_zps70f25999.jpg

IMG_1603_zps842f19d0.jpg

IMG_1609_zpsf700b569.jpg

IMG_1610_zps30125ef9.jpg

There is still a lot more to add and gaps to fill etc.
IMG_1607_zps893d82f4.jpg

IMG_1605_zps5286d695.jpg

Thanks everyone for the comments. :good: Helps keep me motivated :good:

Christian - absolutely! :laugh:

Update - my custom base was finished and picked -up today. :soldier

Tape'd up the bits and pieces to check the look and fit.

IMG_1662_zps8031ab05.jpg

Ian.

Back