• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pole Dancer with Double D's... Fixin' Dragon's Mustang Ranch POS

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
I was happy when Dragon's 1/32nd scale Mustang kit came out. Following their excellent Messerschmitt kits, I had high expectations. When they announced their F-6D, I got it and opened the box. The shapes were good, the decals superb (although not a smile in sight - well, it is an F-6D), accurate panel lines, for the most part, and parts count not too high.

Now, the pitfalls. Wrong main gear wheel bay to start. Then the anemic engine combined with rivet holes on steroids giving this orange peeled girl pockmarks and deep lacerations as panel lines. Rubber/vinyl wheels don't fit the hubs, rudder lacks any hint of its doped canvas over frame construction, canopy windscreen too narrow to sit properly, and a lot of missing detail in a cockpit where the floor was too narrow to reach either side!

To top it off, Tamiya released a sublime kit (at twice the price). This box was put aside as the Tamiya took precedence with so much lovely aftermarket from BarracudaCals and Eduard.

So, what's the point? We're waiting!

My son asked me to fix a 72nd scale Mustang he built and had hanging over his bed. I decided to rebuild it and put it on a display stand and, while at it, I took a look at this kit and decided to do the same. I will mount it on the Tamiya display stand.

First off, the wings
Using Deluxe's Perfect Plastic Putty, I filled in all the panel lines and rivet potholes with the exception of the landing gear retraction and armament panels. Also left clear, the fuel cover, recognition lights, and fuel tank mounting bolts. Look at all that lovely rivet detail and panel lines, if it were 72nd scale and not pantographed to 32nd...
DragonP-51D32PortUpperWing.JPG

First coat to learn how to use this putty. I applied it with a spatula... not that great.
DragonP-51D32StarboardUpperWing.JPG

Rocket slots were filled too. As in the above photo, I outlined what to keep in a black permanent marker. Note that the main gear wheel bay roof had been cut as the wing extensions don't allow the upper wings to properly attach to the lower. Instead of recreating a proper wheel well, I will be posing the aircraft in flight. Problem avoided.
DragonP-51D32LowerWing.JPG

DragonP51DWingWork00.JPG

The Fuselage
Deciding on a scheme left over from Dutch Decal's sheet (this is where Double Ds comes from - Dutch Decals - gutter brain) I had to convert the F-6D back to a P-51D:
DragonP-51D32PortFuselage.JPG

DragonP-51D32StarboardFuselage.JPG

A close inspection showed mold lines from the multi-part mold used to get the details on the edges of the fuselage. They need to be removed so I marked them red.
DragonP51DFuselageWork00.JPG

The nose
The anemic engine is embarrassing to display but needed for the propeller and exhausts to mount. The spinner was temporarily attached together and the contours refined. I still have to correct the propeller blade openings as they were never round.
DragonP51DNoseWork00.JPG

Mentioning propellers, many model reviews write about them being backwards, wrong shape or twist. They are simply too large and poorly defined. The cuffs, made of hard rubber on the real deal, lack an airfoil shape. The blade on the left has been cut to size and sanded to return the thin blade shape. The other blades show the amount to remove.
DragonP51DPropellerBlades.JPG

The clear covers are crap as they only highlight one of the model's shortcomings so I will glue them onto the fuselage halves. However, their exhaust openings are exceedingly thick!
DragonP51Dexhausts1.JPG

DragonP51Dexhausts1a.JPG

I trimmed them down. It should not be razor thin as many panels had the edges rolled to prevent injury to maintenance personnel.
DragonP51Dexhausts2.JPG

So, aside from her nose, let's look at her tail. Outside is smooth and devoid of any details except for the trim tab actuator which ends on the rudder instead of the trim tab!
DragonP51DRudder00.JPG

The inner sides provide columns instead of normal sized pin marks. Easy enough to remove.
DragonP51DRudder01.JPG

To the left is Tamiya's rudder and the Dragon to the right.
DragonP51DRudder02.JPG

Well, remembering Laura, here is something to leave you with...

Regards,

I will be building Revell with the group build. I have built several Tamiya's so I get to see how it compares.

One hour reshaping the blades. Too bad I didn't have Tamiya's P-51D/K Pacific Theater or F-51 kits as they include new sprues with propellers and the original Hamilton Standard is still there as a spare. Now, to reshape the cuffs to an airfoil shape and define their edge to the metal blade. I may need some work on where they meet the spinner. As for the spinner, I have the drawings needed for the propeller opening and rivet pattern to add.

Regards,

I see I was too tired to post the photos the last time. Here they are:

1. Blades at the 6 & 9 o'clock positions are reshaped...
DragonP51DSpinner00.JPG

2. Here, all are reshaped...
DragonP51DSpinner01.JPG

3. Checking with spinner cap, which needs the openings reshaped as well after the cuffs.
DragonP51DSpinner03.JPG

Got a little time today to try and fit the leftover Tamiya sidewalls, which got BarracudaCast resin replacements, to this kit. Some success can be mentioned. Photos soon.

Regards,

Comparing Dragon's pale excuse to Tamiya's darker plastic pieces:
DragonP51DCockpitFixes00.JPG

Note that Dragon's headrest is huge, the seat is tiny (actually fits inside the Tamiya seat), fuel bladder is too small, and the cockpit floor is missing a host of details.

Parts of Tamiya's sidewalls (not needed after replacing with BarracudaCast parts) being modified for Dragon's cockpit.
DragonP51DCockpitFixes01.JPG

Regards,

Last edited:
Back