• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Well, I Guess I'd Better Get Started!

My opinion of painting figures hasn't changed, I still can't mater the faces, among other things. They look OK until I photograph them, then all the flaws jump out!!

IMG_4003.JPG

IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_4005.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

I added a matte clear coat over them so I can apply the washes , but looks like I have more touch up work to do and need to fix three sets of eyes! Out of four heads, I get one that is passable (with a very generous grading scale!) :mpup

Hi Mike,...

Eyes are extremely difficault to get right even for the most experienced figure painters

visit planetfigure and timelines for evidence of that

heres a quick tip that I got from our very own John Bowery

Give the illusion of an eye rather that painting it

Heres what I did and thats paint a very thin black line on the upper eye lid and make a sort of bulge in the centre downwards to simulate an iris

Use a lightened version of your base skintone for the eye ball as you dont want a popeye effect

use a tiny pinwash of a browny reddy colour around the nose and lower lip to simulate shadow

last tip and thats practise practise practise

You have done a great job so far my friend :)

Uniforms look great, guess you get some practice in on the faces. When I did them, I think I washed the eyes out 6 or 8 times before I found a keeper.

You guys are too kind! :laugh: I'll keep trying, it's not like I don't have any to practice on! :mpup

good figure painting mike!

reminds me of a joke i heard recently:

"during the napoleonic wars the french noticed that the english were wearing red uniform jackets and after the wars a british officer was asked why they used red as uniform color. the british officer replied "well old sport, when a soldier is hit by a bullet and falls, his blood won't be seen on the red so his comrades won't be discouraged and keep on storming forward with 'horray' on their lips!"

the frenchs were very impressed about the psychological aspect and adopted this idea!

ever since the french officers wear brown trousers!"

HOHOHOHOHO! (y) My figure painting looks more like FINGER painting! Maybe I'll get it one of these days! :idonno

ever since the french officers wear brown trousers!"

:laugh: :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: Zing !! Great one Laura !!

Stick with it MIKE. You'll get it !! Maybe if you offer ANDY a few Pints , He'll swing by for a Figure seminar .... ???

ANDY great advice on painting th eyes !

ERIK

OK, I have been plugging away at this thing for what seems like forever! Made a little progress today, paint drying really slow with our rainy weather, but I think the base is done. I made a frame for the foam base from a stick of molding, painted it with Valspar Satin Brown.

IMG_4112.JPG

IMG_4114.JPG

I made the grate for the basin from styrene angles and rod, painted it with Humbrol 133 and washed it with MIG Dark Wash. The "water" is Future, I poured some in the basin the other night and found that my well is not water tight!! The Future apparently sealed the gaps, because the second pour did not run out.

IMG_4110.JPG

IMG_4111.JPG

There's more in the works, hoping to post another update later tonight or tomorrow. Thoughts, critiques, questions always appreciated! (y) :soldier

Back