• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adventures from Hooterville

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't had much to share along modeling news lately because of our recent move. Thought I'd share with you all the thrills and spills of old home ownership.

Due West SC is about 25 minutes from our previous home of 15 years and it has as rich a history as the rest of Abbeville County that it resides in. One of it's claim to fame is it was the site (or very close to the site) of which the Treaty of DeWitt's Corner was signed leading to the local Cherokee indians to move further west to the Chattanooga area on the Tennessee river. More or less creating the Chickasaw peoples. There's a local creek named Chickasaw. Due West is also home to Erskine College which was founded in 1839. Why did we move to Due West? Because that is where the house we wanted sat.

1627830400246.png

We closed on the house at the end of june and were taking our time moving up and making some minor repairs and alterations. Least of all was building the fence for the dogs.
1627832340500.png

Yes, we're crazy, we gave our pups a 2 car carport.

We moved in on July the 4th, same day our old Casa De Dogwood went up for sale.
We were pretty much half way out of the house when it was listed but the realtor suggested we vacate completely so showings would be easier. I think he wanted the puppies out of the house also.

1627830423132.png

So packing up we did and we were able to sleep in Due West that night. No small feat I tell you, moving a bed with only your wife to help is a test of that marriage.

Next weekend a nice little thunderstorm rolled in and a big clap of lightening hit in the middle of the night. Our end of the house lost power, easy fix, breaker tripped. But I noticed the AC wasn't blowing... :bang head Luckily enough I was able to get it reset just at the thermostat by powercycling it.(yeah, I rebooted it). But the blower was barely blowing. (I didn't realize I have a variable speed blower). So I called the AC guy out to check things as a precaution. He checked things out and it was all good. I asked him where the breaker was for the AC (not the service cutoff) because I couldn't find it on the main panel. We found another panel hidden in plain site on the outside of the house. While checking it out he took a step on a brick pathway next to the house and the bricks fell through into a bubbling pool of muddy water. :doh:

1627830837415.png

Yep, that would be the main water line coming into the house. Of course this is on myside of the water meter so it's on me to fix it. This escaped the home inspection because well, I don't know. There was no evidence of this at the time the inspection was made.

So we got the plumbers out and my new buddy Keven the plumber found the offending hole in the copper pipe in short order and cut it out.

1627831017730.png

Got it patched up in no time and turned the water back on only to find gushing water from further up the line towards the meter. "Gonna need to replace the entire line." again :bang head

He got us a temporary fix in place till he could get the trencher out and make it right (would take a week because he had vacation scheduled :blink) But it's all good now, nice new line professionally done. I suspect the grass will not be as lush as it was in that area since the underground aquafer has now been sealed off.

Wrote a nice fat, yet reasonable, check to him for his efforts and away he went. It actually solved water pressure problem we were having but could not isolate, go figure.

That evening Cindy and I decided to go to the local restaurant (we have two in Due West but one of them only works when they want to). We had no sooner sat down to than we got a text message from our new neighbor (nice thing about this place is no one is bashful about meeting the new folks) that we should get home ASAP that a tree has fallen!

The trees....There are 3...were 3 trees that no one really could identify on the property. I have a cousin who is a forester who could not ID them. Here's what the leaves and fruit look like.
1627831601546.png

Notice the heart shaped fruit to the right? That's the seed pod. In that pod is 5-6 seeds. After much research we found out these trees are "Chinese Tung Trees"
No doubt you've clicked the link to read that these trees are considered invasive in FL and highly toxic. This is the fruit that tung oil is extracted from. Why are these trees planted in Due West SC I have no idea nor does the local historians know (I asked them).

So we get back to the house to find this.

1627832402710.png

Yes that's Cindy's car in the branches. If we had not gone to supper my truck would have been sitting next to her car and would have been crushed. One again luck would have it, Cindy's car escaped damage. The tree guys were as shocked as we were. (Cindy did by a lottery ticket but it would seam our luck had run out at that point).

What does all this have to do with modeling you may ask? I'll tell you my friends and fellow glue sniffers.

As documented earlier our new shed arrived the other week and I parked it where I caught a great deal of afternoon shade.

1627832605423.png

Behind the now last remaining Chinese Tung Tree, which I noticed just the other day...has a split down the middle of the trunk....

1627832663831.png

I called my tree guy and asked what he thought. Oddly enough the guy who cuts down trees thought the tree should be cut down...so add it to the list of unexpected expenses.

All these unexpected expenses is delaying the electrification of above mentioned shed, the shed that I intend to get back to our hobby we love so much. (noticed how this turned back to modeling?)

Keven the plumber had a great suggestion, that's to run the water and power out to the shed in the same trench. Thankfully someone is looking after me because it's a great idea that may save us a little bit of money in the long run.

So this weekend we started the task of cleaning out the old garage at Casa Da Dogwood and in doing so I've decided some models are not going to make the trip.
1627832893061.png

That's right, the purge has started. 😭

Thanks for indulging me. Just wanted to share some of the issues we've been facing.

Oh, forgot to mention the contract we had on the Dogwood house fell through. Going back no the market today. That's another long story. Buyer was wanting us to make repairs that were not necessary even after being told before going into the contract that we had no intention of doing any more repairs to the house.

Model on boys! I'll catch up with ya shortly.
:soldier :mpup

Last edited:
Wishing you all the best, I remember weeding out my collection before moving,I actually sold a few at our garage sale that we had before moving,just for a few bucks though.

Wishing you all the best, I remember weeding out my collection before moving,I actually sold a few at our garage sale that we had before moving,just for a few bucks though.
Didn't think about selling them but then again, who in the world would have bought them. Honestly none that hit the trash were that good, the Mig was fun, down in the bottom of the pile is Rosie the Rocketter (I intend on building it again but better).
That's quite the saga!
As you well know, it's not all of it.

Thanks for grabbing those Eric. :vgood:

Some are having a ball up here in farm country.
1627836133442.png

And are very comfortable

1627836304339.png

The fun of being a homeowner.

Looks like the pups have been rooting in the mud a little. Guess bath time came a short while later. Kind of sounds like the escapades I have had going on with the house I am in. Built in '87, the roof needed replacement so that is new as of March. Then they painted the outside. Now the floors will need replacement and the AC announced it is on it's last leg a couple of days ago. I announced the interest in buying the house back in June and still intend on doing so, UNLESS...

My boss and his wife own this house outright at this point and all the $$ I have paid so far have been going into an escrow account. Not sure what all is gong to happen, but if it gets too squirrely, it might be time to cut my losses and move to Florida. Too many weird things going on. Boss is good, but his wife can be a bit overbearing at times. So once I am fully over the damn covid, we will see how all my house crap turns out.

That should have been presented on a window shade...:rotf

Amazing to me how many young folks don't get these references.

Oh, the pain! Oh, the agony of home ownership! Our plumber has put his grandchildren through college on what we have paid him this last year: new Hot Water tank, replaced a dozen fittings and pipe in the basement, and fixed the 3rd floor toilet leak (that really hurt the modeling budget!). :bang head

It all good. A man has to do what a man has to do! :vgood:

ps: can that Tung tree be dried and and used in a fire pit?

can that Tung tree be dried and and used in a fire pit?
Considering everything of the tree is toxic I don't think I'd want to try that.

Guy at the hardware store told me yesterday that those trees were kinda of a fad back in the 60s with everyone planting them. He said most had blown apart, he knew of only a few more left. go figure...

Too bad you didn't get one of those redwoods that got planted around there, now that would be something. There's a couple up here in Shelby that I have found.

Back