• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS Enterprise D (04-10-14) Done!! Finally!!

USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D (Sci-Fi)

Yeah, bay-bee, on the INSIDE FIRST!! look and see tomorrow! U gotta get outside "the Box"!!

Lookie! PUT THE tamiya clear on first, INSIDE!! you can cheap out, and spray fLOquil silver, and be done, next. I sprayed, gently, at low PSI, Alclad Chrome, ON THE INSIDE, then Glossy Black, on the INSIDE again, and it came out swell! Have a look-see! I built her to hang, cuz' my Momma spent a lot of her last days in her bed, looking up.
Enterprise_1701D_1.JPG

You don't have to believe me, but it works!!
Enterprise_1701D_3.JPG

Carpe Diem, Bay-bee!
Enterprise_1701D_5.JPG

Make it so. ahead warp 9.

Ah, gotcha, now I understand what you mean.

Unfortunately on this kit that wont work b/c there aren't any clear parts. The nacelles are molded as upper & lower halves w/ the red & blue sections attached.

Bummer, I did my clear parts from the inside, before it was assembled. Alas, I'm too late to be of much help. Sorry.

No worries. This kit has no clear parts, so unfortunately painting from the inside wont work, but I will definitely keep it in mind for the future. I have a fiber optic Enterprise D kit in my stash that I plan on building eventually, and I will definitely keep your method in mind when it comes time to build it.

Bummer, I did my clear parts from the inside, before it was assembled. Alas, I'm too late to be of much help. Sorry.

I like that idea Rhino, your way adds to reflection by using the transparent piece to add depth. They used to paint slot cars like that- start inside and last coat first- I used this before on my old saucer build, it does work! Nice job on that D. CR

Well, after what seems like an eternity, I've pretty much wrapped up this piece of crap.

I can honestly say this kit is easily among the top 5 worst kits I've ever worked on. Nothing fit correctly, both the kit parts, and the decals.

When I got around to the decals, they were very thick, but very brittle, which made it doubly difficult to get them to go down, but I used really warm water, and a lot of Solvaset, which helped a lot.

Kit was base coated w/ Model Master Neutral Grey, and then I hand brushed like 4 coats of Future on it so the decals would slide down a bit easier.

20140323_153702_zpsbb78f483.jpg

Fitment of the decals was terrible. I was able to work around it w/o a whole lot of trouble, but its most noticeable on the bottom of the saucer. The windows dont align w/ the openings in the hull, and its pretty obvious in a couple places, and then along the upper part of the engineering hull the fit was really bad.

Across the top of the saucer, its 11 separate decals, under the saucers its 13 decals. I think there are 15 decals on each nacelle.

The paint on the nacelles, impulse engines and the deflector dish are a mix of Model Masters & Vallejo paints, depending on what I had available.

20140410_221255_zps0d1dea0f.jpg

20140410_221300_zpsaf5c7c60.jpg

20140410_221308_zps37ba25b4.jpg

20140410_221314_zpse3ea0ff9.jpg

20140410_221321_zps752b842c.jpg

20140410_221328_zps944ed52f.jpg

I still have a dull coat to put down, but that will wait till at least this weekend, but I'm pretty much calling this turd finished.

This is very much a 10 footer. Only thing is its not that it looks good from 10' away, it only looks good under 10' of concrete...

From here it looks pretty good Adam. You got me a little scared though, I have the whole set of these in 1/2500. Maybe I should just burn them all lol.

I dunno, maybe I just got a bad one, it happens. I was just very surprised. I built this same kit when it was originally released like 10 or 12 years ago, and I remember the fit being a lot better, so I dunno.

From here it looks pretty good Adam. You got me a little scared though, I have the whole set of these in 1/2500. Maybe I should just burn them all lol.

Looks great from here Adam!

Terry (y)

Thanks guys!

I guess I'm probably being overly critical of the build, but that's just normal, you are your own worst critic.

The build still sucked, haha, but the final results aren't too bad.

Its nice to finally get something wrapped up. I think I only finished 2 builds last year, neither of which were started last year. I've got a few more builds on my bench that are close to finished that I really want to get done, before I move on to new stuff.

They certainly do!!

Nerdling, I forgot to mention this earlier. When you build your kits, trim your decals as closely as possible, so that you don't get the film overlapping. I didn't bother w/ it on mine, and after it was done, it was very obvious. Normally I probably would have taken the time to trim the decals, but by the time I got to the decals, I was already very sick of working on the kit, and knew it wasn't going to come out looking especially great, so I just didn't worry about it.

I suppose there's a slight chance in the future I might attempt to build another one, but after doing this one, I just don't know. I have considered doing the E-E kit, but the jury is really out on that now.

Back