• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS Enterprise D (04-10-14) Done!! Finally!!

Adam Baker

Had this one for the Sci-fi campaign, but b/c it's such a bear of a kit, I never got far.

This is all the farther I made initially

DSC01559.jpg

I've done a bit of sanding & cleaning and filling in some seams, but it looks pretty much teh same as above. I'll get some updated shots this weekend.

USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D (Sci-Fi)

Is that the 1/2500 kit? If it is I have the new Round 2 Models version with all 8 bajillion decals.

Yea, this is part of the Round 2 Re-release. I had the original kits produced 10 or 12 years ago, but over the years they've disappeared, no clue what happened to them, so I got this kit to build again. And unfortunately the kit sucks. Fit is horrible, nothing fits, etc. I was really surprised since I remember the first kit going together much much better.

Managed to take a couple updated shots, and had a couple pic's I'd forgotten about.

Here's the updated shot of where it sits now. You can see the putty I've put down on the secondary hull to fill the massive gap there.

DSC03029_zps2243a1da.jpg

A bit more progress to show. I finally got everything into primer to see how well my filling of the massive gaps & such went.

DSC03055_zps9929f2b8.jpg

DSC03056_zps638941f7.jpg

One thing I also got accomplished is adding a rod to mount the model to a base once its done. Just used brass tube inside the model, and found a piece that would telescope into it, so I'm good to go. Already got a few ideas on what to do for the base, but will wait till its built to finalize those plans.

I thought it looked pretty good, and then I noticed on the top of the saucer, that all of the molded in detail was still ghosting through, which came as a huge surprise. I thought I had sanded it all smooth.

DSC03057_zps86c78745.jpg

I've started polishing the primer w/ 600 & 1500 grip sanding films and it seems to be helping a lot. Its removing that least bit of the molded in detail, and the primer is smoothing out very nicely. Unfortunately it looks like its all going to have to be polished out, and more than likely repeat the primer & polishing stage at least one more time, to get it all smoothed out. I did notice around the join on the neck to the secondary hull that I have a fair bit of work left to do there, unfortunately its not an easy place to get into, so that's going to be a real fun area to work on.

It'll make it much easier to put down all the decals. All the aztec patterning on the hull is in the form of very large decals.

DSC03058_zps57e03b3b.jpg

So by removing all the molded on detail should theoretically make it easier to get the decals to go down, but we'll see.

It'll make it much easier to put down all the decals. All the aztec patterning on the hull is in the form of very large decals.

DSC03058_zps57e03b3b.jpg

So by removing all the molded on detail should theoretically make it easier to get the decals to go down, but we'll see.

There's a thread on Starship Modeler where some guy went hard core and scribed this kit using the decals as a guide then painted the panels individually. Yikes- good luck Adam, can't wait to see your solution to this. CR

Haha, yea, for the most part. Just a base coat of I think Camo Grey, or possibly Duck Egg Blue, I'm not sure which.

well that solves the painting issue.

Thanks James!

That looks cool. :popcorn
James

I've not seen that thread, but it honestly doesnt surprise me. If I hadnt fought this kit like crazy to get to this point, I might have possibly considered painting it all instead of using the decals, but at this point I just want to get the damn thing done so that I can get it off the bench and move on to other things. I'll be more than happy to just use the decals.

There's a thread on Starship Modeler where some guy went hard core and scribed this kit using the decals as a guide then painted the panels individually. Yikes- good luck Adam, can't wait to see your solution to this. CR

It's going to be interesting for sure, but after having built several Nascar models that used large decals, I dont expect these to be too incredibly difficult. Just depends on how thick they are and how they react to Solvaset.

I found that the great big silk-screen decals are way more manageable, if you cut them in to smaller sections. I put mine on over the solvaset, and the snuggled down nice.
You're a brave man! I built one of these for my Momma. B4 she took her trip up to Heaven, I'll post U a pic' if U like. I did Tamiya clears & backwards Alclad Chrome (REALLY!) for the deflector & warp engine nacelles. The one in the IPMS Journal is OK, but his Nacelles are all the wrong color.

What do you mean by backwards Alclad Chrome?

One thought I'd had was to spray the nacelles & the deflector silver, and then go over them w/ the clear tamiya paints that I've got.

I bet he means he put the clear coat down before the Alclad- that makes sense. If you check my build of the phaser Rifle in Sci-Fi you'll see i mixed Alclad Transparent blue with model master acrylic, it worked better than expected. Have fun. CR :drinks

Ah, gotcha.

The blue on your phaser looks pretty good, I think it would make a pretty convincing color for the lit nacelles.

I just looked through my paint stash and I have Alclad transparent blue, red & yellow, and I think those would be the colors I would need to do the nacelles & the deflector.

Nope! Spray your Tamiya clears first, then Alclad Chrome, then glossy black. Give every coat time to cure, and be AMAZED!!. mY Dear sweet trekkie Momma loved it! I pulled the same trick on her USS Voyager. JUST BELIEVE! it works!! I'll send Pict's tomorrow!

Back