• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

I don't have a clue why the paint lifted on just the ammo bay cover and nothing else. Even went back to my test mule F86, couple of different tapes on it and nothing lifts! Just don't understand it but it's recovered. Used the decals from the Barracuda Decal set.

Decal solution wasn't used on the high shine area. Used Solvaset on the Insignia on the wings.

First, formation lights.

P51D094.jpg

Started with Model Master Chrome down in the reflector.

P51D095.jpg

Then used Tamiya transparent green, red and AlcladII transparent yellow. Instructions called for orange, I don't have orange so I did yellow. It'll be ok...

P51D096.jpg

Used AlcladII Aqua Gloss Clear to seal the lenses in place.

P51D097.jpg

Y'all think I was kidding about OD being pulled out.. any more finish being pulled off and we're going camo!

P51D098.jpg

P51D099.jpg

Good overhead shot

P51D100.jpg

yes, there's a part missing. Finally remembered where I lost it, problem is I'll have to dismantle some shelving to get to it. That means I have to clean up...or steal it from the other kit...one guess what i'm doing.

P51D101.jpg

Can you see the RB Canopy Rail in place?

P51D102.jpg

Took some liberties with the prop, the source image I could see a white band painted on the props, think i got it in the wrong place. Don't tell anyone...

P51D103.jpg

Shot from the underside where you can see the relocated antenna.

Speaking of antenna, guess it's getting to the point of making the duel antenna for the UD system. Not sure if I'm going to steal the antenna from both kits or scratch build. I think the wood mast look thicker at the bottom than the antenna that are in the kits. Guess we'll see...

thanks for looking and comments, suggestions and WTFs are welcome!

Looks good Bob. Just a thought for you, you could have mixed the clear red and clear yellow and got a nice clear orange. Other than that love it. Be interesting to hear thoughts on your lifting problem.
Thank god for camouflage :D

James

Thought about that James but I wasn't sure the Tamiya transparent red and Alclad yellow would mix well. I figure what the hey...yellow close enough.

Hey Bob, that might just be too simple and not big enough bu the drawings just made me think of large toothpicks... :)

Looking really nice Bob, I love this stage of a build, you can really make the model your own with the detail bits, yours is looking superb. I would love to have a go at this kit but i must stop spending money now i am unemployed :laugh: and build from the Stash.

I don't have a clue why the paint lifted on just the ammo bay cover and nothing else. Even went back to my test mule F86, couple of different tapes on it and nothing lifts! Just don't understand it but it's recovered. Used the decals from the Barracuda Decal set.

Decal solution wasn't used on the high shine area. Used Solvaset on the Insignia on the wings.

First, formation lights.

P51D094.jpg

Started with Model Master Chrome down in the reflector.

P51D095.jpg

Then used Tamiya transparent green, red and AlcladII transparent yellow. Instructions called for orange, I don't have orange so I did yellow. It'll be ok...

P51D096.jpg

Used AlcladII Aqua Gloss Clear to seal the lenses in place.

P51D097.jpg

Y'all think I was kidding about OD being pulled out.. any more finish being pulled off and we're going camo!

P51D098.jpg

P51D099.jpg

Good overhead shot

P51D100.jpg

yes, there's a part missing. Finally remembered where I lost it, problem is I'll have to dismantle some shelving to get to it. That means I have to clean up...or steal it from the other kit...one guess what i'm doing.

P51D101.jpg

Can you see the RB Canopy Rail in place?

P51D102.jpg

Took some liberties with the prop, the source image I could see a white band painted on the props, think i got it in the wrong place. Don't tell anyone...

P51D103.jpg

Shot from the underside where you can see the relocated antenna.

Speaking of antenna, guess it's getting to the point of making the duel antenna for the UD system. Not sure if I'm going to steal the antenna from both kits or scratch build. I think the wood mast look thicker at the bottom than the antenna that are in the kits. Guess we'll see...

thanks for looking and comments, suggestions and WTFs are welcome!

WTF!... :D

I am really not that big into aircraft builds but this I really like very much!
Love Tamiya armor kits and I guess Tam. aircraft kits are the same lovely quality.

You wrestled with the paint peeling off issue but hey,YOU WON!
So maybe it's not done yet,but have to say:
Well done,MP! (y) (y) (y)

Greetings,Ron.

Greetings MP;

...... Excellent looking P-51/D.......... :mpup

Nice work ....... She is looking great.
There are few color schemes that are harder to
depict, than bare metal........ nicely done....... (y)

Mike

What F@#$ building!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Great work bob, this is one of most beautifull buildings of this War Bird! :ro: :ro: :ro:

Well, here we go, got some decals on and the UD antenna
P51D104.jpg

Actually took some bambo skewers and sanded them flat on both sides, leaving the general shape of the point and I still didn't get the shape right! It's that symmetry thing again with me.

P51D105.jpg

P51D106.jpg

P51D107.jpg

More decals and then some light weathering. Thoughts, suggestions, comments always welcome!

Back