• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

James I tell ya, the way that finish was coming off, it sort of looked cool, like really thin sheet metal..now if I could only do it on purpose. :D

Not to worry, I'll sand down the gloss black I put on there tonight and make the 219 with the referse mask left over THEN alclad. Remove the 219 mask and I should be golden. :woohoo:

Oh Bob, that 's awful My question is about the gloss. Is it acrylic ? :unsure: The name sounds like it is. I have never hear of shooting Alclad over Acrylic... :sick:

Cheers, Christian

It's an Alclad product.

Chris I think my problem is squirting the Black Gloss product over that Alclad Aqua Gloss that I played with. Everywhere else the finish is fine. The tail section,same prep work, the AlcladII Gloss Black then a coat or two of Aqua Clear then the AlcladII polished aluminum. It's rock solid on the tail.

this is my screw up, pure and simple. Not following Alclad suggestions.

soo Bob the problem was use the gloss polish, in a gloss paint?

No matter the problem, you worl is amazing! :pilot

Yes Art, I had a gloss clear that sealed the plastic before the gloss black base. didn't allow that base to adhere to the plastic, cause when I looked at what came up, it was everyting down to the gloss black, and the gloss clear was still on the plastic.

Next time, a good scrubbing with alcohol is the first order of business before painting.

taken a little look, I saw that you don't use primer, right?
A thin layer, maybe could hold the paint down, don't? :hmmm

Art, didn't need a primer because the base acts as a primer. Again, the areas that I did not muck around with prior to painting the black base is fine. rock solid.

Laura with all these positive waves, how can I miss? :mpup

As the new boy here its taking a while to catch up with what everyone is doing....today was the turn of moonpup and his Stang.....It was going so well but then like all good stories the plot took a twist !!
At least you were able to put your Columbo hat on and find the problem pup. Personally i have no luck with alclad so my sympathies are with you, i prefer BMF.
Good luck with sorting it and looking forward to the updates :)

Wow, when you said it went bad, you weren't kidding! :eek:hmy: If anyone can save it, you can! Just to clarify the tape removal thing, what I was taught when I worked in the body shop is that you pull the tape away from the paint, keeping the tape low and at about a 45 degree angle like this.

IMG_4618.JPG

Soldier on, buddy!! :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier

AH, thanks Mike, I was pulling up at the lower 45, opposite of what you have there. Though in this case, I doubt it would have made a bit of difference.

Paddy, when you see the obvious clear coat under the black base still on the plastic it hits ya like a bolt. I confirmed it by taking a swab with alcohol and removing the clear coat to seen the original plastic.

I checked this am, even used 3M masking tape, the black gloss is staying put so there's no other contaminates under there. I'll sand it down this evening, a gloss over coat and shoot some alcladII.

Like I told Mike yesterday, if you next see it in Camo you know what happened.

Which 3M tape are you using? The blue for multi surfaces #2090 says not to use "on or with lacquers". Don't ask me how I know this, let's just say you don't want to find out first hand! The lime green tape is good for lacquers. :ro:

Only used it to test the adhesion of the black base I have down now. Not going to use it for any future masking.

The blue tape works great with most paints, just don't use it over fresh black lacquer, turns to bacon grease!!!!! :idonno

I got a bit of a swagger goin' on this evening...while I duck from trick or treaters!

Decided to strip up to the firewall and back to the tail section. Still had some spots where paint buildup left raised lines. Really should have taken care of that, can't call it battle damage.

First, stripped down to the bare plastic and sanded smooth. Then a layer of gloss black acrylic and let that cure overnight. Sanded this evening using everything up to 12000 grit paper. Placed the "219" reverse mask, then a coat of AlcladII Aqua Clear Gloss (just to prove the point that it's not the problem.

P51D087.jpg

Looks a little sporty here..

P51D088.jpg

Then light mistings of Polished Aluminum.

P51D089.jpg

Pulled the mask off, black stayed put, AlcladII stayed put...stowed the OD in the paint drawer.

P51D090.jpg

So dry fitting, I did get the "True Blue" sprayed in some spots, wing and elevator tips, vertical stabilizer and spinner.

P51D091.jpg

Still not sure if a panel wash is even necessary.

P51D092.jpg

Look at that wingroot, just dry fitted. That's engineering.

P51D093.jpg

Just checking the reflection..

Thanks for all the positive vibes! It paid off!

Back