• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

To respectfully disagree, the photo of the Betty Jane clearly shows a very dark panel line. I don't think this build should be dirty, but the panel lines being chrome aren't realistic to my untrained eyes. :pinch:

That panel would have been an access and removable panel so I think the line would be more defined. Tell ya what. Let me get the AC Codes, Insignias and stuff on it, assemble it all and see what it looks like then. If I need to do a pin wash at that point I will.

Moonie ,

I really Did this Plane !! Either way you Go I think It'll Shine !! Great Finish on th Plane !!! Referencing the dusting - it's normal for th AlClad. to remove it you could use a Very Soft Wide Paint brush. You may want to try it before you go to polish ?? I'm lookin forward to th Finished product !!!

:ro: :erik

Mike, thanks for the pictures. What we're dealing with is an aircraft that was very well maintained by the ground crew because they really didn't have anything else to do. So these aircraft would have been very clean.

Erik I used the flannel wipe that came with the Micromesh polishing kit and it removed the dust just fine.

Did some testing.

No matter what I use to try and accent the panel lines end up eating away at the high shine finish.

I tired Migs wash, oil wash, acrylic wash. They all dulled the finish in one way or another.

Got more testing in mind, dealing with masking panels and altering the tone just slightly with Alclad tints. Not random, systematically.

Do you have any pro wash? Maybe it might do it without damaging the other paint. Either that or a super fine brush and use an oil wash touching only the corner of the panel lines and letting capillary action suck it down into the crevice.
James

Don't think I got Pro Wash. Matt Swan suggested a sludge wash of acrylic, water and dishsoap.

Tried the oil wash and i'm just too sloppy with the brush. Maybe more practice I can get it but right now, not going to try. Repainted my test piece so i'll play again tomorrow.

Sanding masking painting and the risk of pulling the paint up again..so sure..easy. :mpup

Pictures later.

And here I have read article after article stating that tape will not pull it off :bang head . What tape did you use MP ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Chris I'll get details for you later.

Chuck, whatchutalkin' about?? OH a sludge wash? HA, the beating this finish is taking now, wash won't matter afterall.

Woo Despair and Misery on me!

I thought it was time to get started masking. started well enough. Masked the black stripe behind the spinner as I cut away some excess, I saw Alclad come up... :blink Talked to Mike online and he told me the proper way to remove the mask. Keep it low, below a 45 degree angle as you're lifting. OK. Kept moving forward.

P51D077.jpg

Kenny Loop's Gatormask worked great! I got the mask in position and protected the finish further with that low tack "frisk".

P51D078.jpg

Kenny's Mask was not the problem. It didn't matter what tape I used, some alclad was coming up. This spot is not so bad. it gets worse.. :bang head

P51D079.jpg

P51D080.jpg

And worse...

P51D081.jpg

So I cleaned off the panel, if you ever wonder just how thick these layers of paint get peal some off like this and you'll see.

P51D082.jpg

Cleaned up around the pulled part as much as I could.

P51D083.jpg

A layer of black gloss and a misting of AlcladII, interesting to note the difference in the finish. The repair job being fresh and the panel below being older. Wonder what caused it to go hazy, just handling it?

So over to the other side, repair job went ok, removed the mask and...

P51D084.jpg

:vmad :vmad :vmad

I actually pulled the OD out, sitting right there...

P51D085.jpg

Notice how it came up, almost like a decal. all the way down to the gloss black primer. I went ahead and started scraping the remaining loose finish off. then I noticed, there seems to be a clear coat under what's being pulled up, then it dawned on me.

When I first got the kit, early on, I sprayed some of the AlcladII Aqua Gloss clear just to see how quick it would dry. I sprayed it right where I'm having all this trouble. I did not attempt to remove it thinking it wouldn't cause any problems. Obviously the gloss black did not stick to the gloss clear that I played around with. It's working fine everywhere else with noted exceptions. And those small spots may just be where the surface was dirty or otherwise contaminated.

P51D086.jpg

Notice how the problems stop at the tail section. Remember this tail was a separate piece and didn't get a squirt of the gloss clear coat. The finish is rock solid there. The Black Gloss would have gone right on the plastic and not a clear coat over the plastic.

Lesson learned the hard way, or was this something everyone knows except me?

This section has been cleaned with alcohol and painted again with gloss black. I'll sand it down a couple of times before doing the Alclad treatment again. One more time...ONE MORE! And it's Camo City buddy!!!

Back