• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

P51D075.jpg

Shiny enough for her to shave with as a mirror!

Regards,

Need opinions please.

Does this need a wash? I plan on using AlcladII Smoke Stain for the exhaust and battery sump stain going down the fuselage. but other than that, is anything really necessary?

A dark grey panel wash would make them stand out, I just tried some stuff that Chris loaned me that's clay based. It's Pro Modeller Weathering Wash, guess he got it at Sprue Brothers. Adam Baker got me thinking about trying it, he's sold on the stuff, since it's water based too. What do I know, I'm a ground pounder?

Just hit the panel lines, don't grunge it up! :rotf IRL, the lines would be darker from shadows, right?

OK, I guess I am the voice of dissent. Washes imply dirt caught in panel lines, this goes against the crew cleaning and polishing it up. Only wash the control surface outlines and maybe the ammunition bay doors.

I vote that you take different panels and polish them in a perpendicular direction to get a grain. It is subtle but the sheen will vary dependent on the viewing angle. Head on it will be shiniest.

Regards,

Need opinions please.

Does this need a wash? I plan on using AlcladII Smoke Stain for the exhaust and battery sump stain going down the fuselage. but other than that, is anything really necessary?
I agree with Saul. You've made this shine like a penny so the soot and battery sump stain would be wrong. There will be slight discolouring where the exhaust stain is, but it will be difficult to pull off. There should be no stain or corrosion at the battery sump drain. All batteries gas out into a jar with a baking soda solution in it. Usually they have a sponge so the solution doesnt just get sucked out in the air stream. This neutralizes any acid that may seep out from bad cell covers. Otherwise nothing corrosive should escape. So no dirt. But definitely different polish directions so its not all monotone.
James

There will be slight discolouring where the exhaust stain is, but it will be difficult to pull off.

To pull off, a flat thin glaze very lightly tinted with a light brownish gray. this represents the area around the exhaust stains that are hardest to remove. I need to check but I believe the panel around the exhaust pipes was steel. The type (was it stainless?) is unknown to me.

Rolls%20Royce%20Merlin%20exhaust%20stubs%20P-51D%20Mustang%20G-SIJJ%20%20Dunsfold%202007.jpg

See cut out panel above the exhaust pipes for a different tone on a polished aircraft...

Another aircraft:

The photograph is by Steve of Billings, MT. Click the image to visit his SmugMug album.

More:
stainlessclos.jpg

stainless.jpg

From IPMS Stockholm, Sweden. Click image to visit site.

Here is another page to visit showing more:
IPMS Stockholm

Regards,

Yes Saul, it was stainless. Already have the AlcladII for it.

Chuck, sorry dude, this one will not be dirty, been polishing too much to make this dirty. While at the same time i'm not going for a showroom finish either. Reference back to the subject i'm doing.

0477813.jpg

you can see a slight stain coming off the exhaust but a more distinct stain from the battery sump drain (I'm assuming this is the sump drain based on some publications about the relocation and plumbing of the battery to the engine compartment). but also note the heat distortion on the picture Saul posted...:mpup

Also, I think this arrangement of aircraft on the North Field of Iwo Jima was not random. Notice you have several different types of aircraft and absolutely no support equipment sitting around. I think, for whatever reason, these aircraft were parked for some sort of display or event that was going on. Thus...the aircraft would have been spotless.

Hey Bob, no matter how much you clean it. stuff still get stuck at the panel lines. Kind of like wax and door gaps.
To get it that shinny it would be necessary to use a compound anyway . After that its dirty water sticking to the residue.... Subtle but visible.

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey Bob, no matter how much you clean it. stuff still get stuck at the panel lines. Kind of like wax and door gaps.

While this may be true for automobiles, aircraft panel lines are a tight fit. In my school years (earning my Airframe and Powerplant licenses) we restored several aircraft and the panel lines where only discernible from close up. On the SNJs, the rivet line dimpling was evident in the polished aluminum.

Regards,

Back