• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

James, i've already drawn blood on those antenna, they are plenty stiff, no way to use the kit parts without installing them now. both sides are one piece and are sandwiched between the two halves. Guess they are stainless steel, pretty stout.

Man this thing is freaking sweet. You must tell me more about those paper seat belts. That cockpit and engine is just all around fantastic. :ro:

Adamn, the belts are from RB Productions.

Man, the PE is incredible, SMALL! threading that paper through and securing it, I lost one buckle (which later magically reappeared) but got it all done. I gave it a good soaking of AlcladII (no I' don't have stock) Aqua Gloss clear then washed with Migs to dirty them up some.

Got a game plan to move forward. Building up all the control surfaces to paint them, only sure way to get them all painted on their leading edges. The Flaps have a very highly polished finish on the inside of the leading edge.

as you can see here from IMPS Stockholm site. only way I know to get that finish is to paint it separately from the wing. Not sure how I'm going to handle it when I get to the point of painting the rest of the kit but we'll figure it out.

Just saw someone else comment on the stepped leading edge of the flaps. He used plastic stock to fill and round out. As for painting, paint them seperate and add after.
James

Ah, now I know what you're talking about with the stepped edge of the flap. James I'm not going to sweet it on this build. Polish it up and get it shinny is the order today.

I've been hording this stuff since I got it, no point in holding out now. A box of sanding films, pads, bobs, and polish kit from Micromesh, 15 bucks for the whole kit, you'd spend that much on any one of these goodies.
micromesh1.jpg

Wings with together really quickly, not having to spend any time in the guy bay helps. I debated on adding all the plumbing in the wheel well but I figure someone will have some aftermarket in time for the next one. Besides it's not going to be seen that much.

P51D054.jpg

I'm going for the filled in panel lines on this, used Mr Desolved Putty first, should have kept using it as I wasted a lot of time trying to fill in with Alclad grey primer.

P51D055.jpg

The panels were filled in with a putty and the wings were primed and then painted with either camo color or aluminized clear lacquer. The control surfaces and gun bay doors would retain NMF or Camo but the wings would be smooth. It would be nice if Tamiya or some aftermarket released wings with the lines filed. But i'm lazy so, just as easy to fill them in yourself.

P51D056.jpg

Here's a dry fit of the wing to the fuse..There is nothing holding that wing in place other than friction..nothing.

P51D057.jpg

Did I tell ya I love this kit!

So here's the plan.

I always have problems getting a good smooth surface in the wing root area, guess it's because of the lay of the land, can't get in there to sand good and all. So what I'm going to do here is paint the wings and fuselage separate, this test fit tells me what I suspected, that the fit is tight and there's no need for filler or spacers to make it work.

P51D058.jpg

First shot of primer, i've sanded it up to a 6000 grit finish, primed again and will let that cure over night and stand/polish again tomorrow.

The finish on the fuselage will be highly polished aluminum. Hopefully it will be a mirror finish. why? Is that authentic?? If everyone would turn to page 136 of their Haynes - North American P-51 Mustang - 1940 onwards (all marks) - Owners' Workshop Manual you will see a photo of Sgt. William Accoo polishing his P51B for his pilots next mission, in that photo you not only see Sgt Accoo washing down his bird, you see his reflection on the Mustang of him washing his bird. :D

So with any luck...I'm going to get AlcadII to do the same thing. :pilot

Looking forward to this. Although to tell the truth do you know how hard it is to polish a plane to a mirror finish?

Next to fill in the panel lines and have that little bit of bump from the filler just tape either side of the line and then putty it. Then scrape off the putty with a razor blade or something hard and straight. Then peel the tape. After dry a lite sanding and it will look like the real thing.

Carry on McDuff (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Well drat ! Just when I thought you were going to treat me to that picture... :( Either way, it's looking very good Bob . Anxious to see it painted . :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

OK, here's a direct link to the website that's hosting the image. Guess they don't like hotlinking PUBLIC domain images..

http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=5242

Ooohhhh painting wings and fuselage seperately... I would be scared. That fit does look superb though. :popcorn

Got a great deal of work done today. Bruce came by and he squirted some paint while I sanding, sprayed, sanded, sprayed again, cussed some and sprayed.

I did the control surfaces in polished aluminum and the majority of the wing surface in duraluminum. If anyone has a better suggestion on the wing color i'm all ears.
P51D059.jpg

Did the gun bay doors in polished aluminum.

P51D060.jpg

did a lot of sanding of the surfaces to get that polished look..

P51D061.jpg

Sealed it with Aqua Gloss clear

P51D062.jpg

and worked on the tail wheel, not much to see there.

P51D063.jpg

Still just dryfitted.

BTW, who said anything about a mirror finish? :bang head haven't seen it yet, been polishing to no end but no reflection. Wonder of BMF is the only way there.

P51D064.jpg

Armor plate installed and sealed up the cowl. Will be painting more next week. :snoopy

Because you are doing the taped wings I would use Tamiya Aluminum and a bit of grey. The wings where painted and duaral will look wrong. As for polishing, I believe that alclad had / has a metal powder you polish in to a gleam. Other than that maybe some wax like johnsons car wax.
James

PS looking great.
James

Wait wait wait. I must be dense. So it goes on in that primer looking color and you polish and buff it to get the shine? :hmmm

Back