• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

Wait wait wait. I must be dense. So it goes on in that primer looking color and you polish and buff it to get the shine? :hmmm

I think it's clear more work is needed on the wings.

the wings will not be that shinny itself. they are an aluminum lacquer color, a color I'm not getting right obviously.

hmm.. shiny and black.
P51D065.jpg

The display stand came in handy.
P51D066.jpg

P51D067.jpg

Wings are about as good as they are going to get.

Now the landing gear :bang head

Looking good!! I'm still working on the Bearcat office.

You owe me some P47 shots. :D

My biggest problem is patience.
Trying to keep my chicken greasy fingers off the paint, waiting for it to dry. I wanna squirt some Alclad!!!

Bob, that sure looks ambitious . Good luck !

We could always have some barbeque Wednesday....That will take care of the chicken grease.

Still miss the laughing guy .

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi Bob, that is looking incredible! Just my 2c worth regarding Alclad. Regardless of which shade, I always gloss black anyway, it does give a better finish. I do Mustang wings in the "Matt Aluminium" gives a good representation of the Aluminium based paint they used. As for a polished finish, I have found that the "Chrome for Lexan" in the range gives a better polished finish than the "Polished Aluminium" it does not Chrome on small scale stuff and then use the "Polished Alu" for weathered panels.

Geoff

Bob, that sure looks ambitious . Good luck !

We could always have some barbeque Wednesday....That will take care of the chicken grease.

Still miss the laughing guy .

Cheers, Christian B)

Wednesday is not a BBQ day in the South, Good BBQ is only available Thursday -Sat, maybe Sunday if they still have it.

I was thinking ElMexicono for lunch but that may make for a long ride back for some :stinker

Laughing guy... :rotf
We aims to please.

Hi Bob, that is looking incredible! Just my 2c worth regarding Alclad. Regardless of which shade, I always gloss black anyway, it does give a better finish. I do Mustang wings in the "Matt Aluminium" gives a good representation of the Aluminium based paint they used. As for a polished finish, I have found that the "Chrome for Lexan" in the range gives a better polished finish than the "Polished Aluminium" it does not Chrome on small scale stuff and then use the "Polished Alu" for weathered panels.

Geoff

For Lexan? hmm...I don't think I have that one, I have Chrome and Polished aluminum and from my playing around it looked to me that Polished Aluminum was actually brighter than Chrome. But this could have been from my prep. Also another one that seemed mighty bright was Airframe Aluminum which is one i'm out of right now...

Thanks for the input Geoff, patience is my biggest problem right now waiting on that gloss to cure. Haven't checked it this AM, it was still plenty tacky last night.

Hi MP,
nice progress.............just one question. Why the black as a base coat for the Aluminum?
From the pics it doesn't look as though you are using the black with a varying thin coat of Al over the top.
Just curious?

Ian.

Ian I'm going for a high shine finish on this. Check out this photo, http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=5242https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/wesendorf-field/73292-tamiya-132-mustang?limit=8&start=248#83287
you can see the crew chief washing down his NMF aircraft and you see his reflexion on the bird. According to what we have read previously this aircraft would have been equally well maintained because the maintenance guys just didn't have anything else to do on Iwo Jima.

The gloss black is the recommended base for high polished finishes from AlcladII. Their Chrome, Highly Polished Aluminum, Polished Brass, and some others really doesn't work without that black gloss base.

I did a test shot on the -5 tail last night. Looking good...I'll have some pictures up later. :mpup

OH the agony of waiting for paint to dry!!

If I can resist not trying to rush it, I may be spraying AlcladII tomorrow.

But in the mean time, some test shots.

P51D068.jpg

the lower cowl with glossy black primer.
P51D069.jpg

With polished Aluminum AlcladII..see some dust coming into play. don't like that.

P51D070.jpg

And here's the tail section, it was sprayed with Alclad Black Primer and then both Chrome and Polished Aluminum. Can't see the difference too much in this picture as you can in real life. And I see a sort of dusting or powder in the picture that I didn't notice before. It looks a bit too hazy to be a mirror surface.

Cool stuff Bob. The dusty look should disappear when you polish it shouldnt it? Looks nice though. (y) (y) (y)
James

Update!

Time for a confession, I redid the wings. I used the wings from the second kit I got..yeah I got a second kit. The wings I did first will be used on the second kit. Got plans for that one all ready.

P51D071.jpg

Y'all, this is all dry fitted, wings are not glued or even taped. The fit is so tight it's almost like a snap together.

P51D072.jpg

You can see the stark contrast between the polished aluminum and the dull aluminum.

P51D073.jpg

Using the kit display mount to keep it from rolling around and stuff, but it's really top heavy even at this point, without the prop or tail plane on. Wouldn't want to depend on it alone.

P51D074.jpg

The rudder would have been fabric covered so it's not polished. Probably should do the polished treatment to the trim tab.

P51D075.jpg

Can't get a good picture of it, get right angle and light but it does have a mirror effect.

P51D076.jpg

And I did do some wash in the wheel well.

Back