• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

The stripe and national insignias should be painted on! So use Kenny's masks, but wouldn't you love that cheesecake on the leg?

Regards,

OK, back in the saddle.

First, I didn't get a shot of the radiator and I really feel guilty about that. Because it's never going to be seen again. The PE is outstanding and is really lost way back up inside the ductwork like it is. But it's there. I got the forward fuselage sealed up today.

P51D048.jpg

This is the forward battery mount bracket. Of course I pick the subject that Tamiya will likely release next with the instruction on how to mount this but till then, i hav to wing it. There's a part called for, and forgive me for not catching what the number was, but it's that black thing, it's called for to be mounted on the side engine brace, but you can't install it there if the battery bracket is goin gto be there, so you put it on the battery bracket. Then wedge the battery bracket in place on the tabs that are called for to be removed. Now if you want to get the sump drain and wiring done now is a good time to do it.

P51D049.jpg

Before battery bracket, lots of room..
P51D050.jpg

After, not so much

OK, found a problem.

The exhaust manifold takes up too much room for the spark plugs that I installed. some more careful engineering is required to make all that work, with the plugs installed the frame around the manifold stuck out too far and would most likely effect the engine cowls vary badly. So...had to take the spark plugs out. well they looked good for a while. In the end, I'll probably hav the cowl sealed up when all said and done. Besides, another Tamiya Mustang is now enroute, this kit will be sealed up, the next one will get the open panel treatment!

This was good practice on what I can and can't do, the next one will be hyper, or super detailed in the engine department.

Cool stuff Bob . Not sure the real ones are much better. I remember a couple of guys talking about the their personal experiences at working on them but it seems that much normally had to be disassembled to get to anything. :fencing The plastic ones are not planned to include all the hardware. :bang head

Cheers, Christian B)

Looks really impressive, I like all the extras, even if they will be covered up. (y)

Worked around up in the engine compartment and the framing for the cowls. I was careful about moving slow here as I've read one fellow had some fit issues. I took care to ensure that the alignment marks are lined up and seated correctly. Pulled the cowls panels off their sprues, they are separately bagged and carded to protect them from any mishap in shipping, and once you touch one, you'll understand why.

These things are the thinnest kit parts I have ever seen. Slide molded I suspect. Oh so thin! So I check the joints, good and solid so I tried the upper cowl, alignment pins in the back and a tab up front and it was snug. Wonderful fit! put the side panels on and it sealed up nicely, this without the PE plates that react to the magnets that are in the support frame of the engine.

I know....

:nopics

Wonderful fit! put the side panels on and it sealed up nicely, this without the PE plates that react to the magnets that are in the support frame of the engine.

What are you writing about? A guy over at another forum had to use a Dremel to get the parts to fit on his Tamiya 32nd scale Mustang, and he posted photos to prove it!

:evil:

Regards,

Saul, you know me, I'm a microtorch guy myself....:mpup

Can't help myself, did some more work and decided to build up the construction as if I were building to display the engine, just for the experience when I do the next one. I tell ya, some of these parts could be installed with shear friction the fit is so good.
Sorry for the bad picture.
P51D052.jpg

snug as a bug...

Got the radiator vent installed tonight.
P51D051.jpg

A quick picture of the RB Radiator installed, this would be the view if you were under the tail looking forward.

I love this kit.

That DOES look good, so when do you start the next one?? :fencing :fencing :fencing :fencing :fencing :fencing :fencing :fencing :fencing :fencing :fencing :fencing :fencing :fencing :fencing

Think I'm going to do some armor after this Mike, will finish up what i have on the bench and clear the deck for some Tigers, some Panthers or something else...

Tail on..

P51D053.jpg

Looking good Bob. Is it safe having those antennas on the tail already? I know with my fat fingers that would be courting disaster. Loving it so far (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Back