• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sd.Kfz.167 Stug IV (Italeri No. 6941)

This is looking so good, great work. My pet hate on armour - is WHEELS! hate them. Nice tip about the rubber glue Piet, does is bond OK to the Plastic? Any brand in particular?

Friul tracks are great if you plan to have any sag in the tracks, but on tight runs like on a PzIII or IV, the Magic Tracks are really adequate (especially on a kit that doesn't fit well). The newer kits have fewer ejector marks to clean up and the detailing is very nice. As has been discussed many times, there are several methods for assembly of Magic Tracks, including the use of flexible cement. I have used rubber cement to assemble Magic Tracks, although I found the stringy legs from the cement caused a lot of clean up work. Wrapping a piece of masking tape around the sprocket, return rollers and road wheels then unwrapping it will help you determine the length of the track run.

IMG_5676.JPG

IMG_5678.JPG

Lay a piece of masking tape on a piece of wood or on your bench, sticky side up and start assembling tracks.

IMG_5679.JPG

Once you have the run complete, use a liquid cement like Testors to coat the inside of the tracks. You want to use a "cooler" glue, so the drying time is slower since we are going to wrap the track run around the sprockets et al. After about 10 minutes, you can carefully pry up the track run from the tape. If you have any links that separate, add more glue and wait a couple more minutes. I generally give mine a shot of flat black paint as a base coat, using a fast drying rattle can spray, that provides a shadow for later layers of color.

IMG_5680.JPG

Build the other run and repeat.

IMG_5689.JPG

Wonderful stuff!

IMG_5690.JPG

Dry brush some silver on the tracks to represent wear on the surfaces that contact the ground and you are there.

Good tunes and a few rest breaks are suggested. Hope this helps.

:drinks

Thanks for the advice... It all helps. The tracks that came with the kit were going to be a pain. Two attachment points to the sprue for every individual link. Was becoming a pain to clean each one up.

The tracks that came with the kit were going to be a pain. Two attachment points to the sprue for every individual link. Was becoming a pain to clean each one up.

h4526139.jpg

Looking good. Did you buy a burnishing fluid or are you planning to paint the tracks? I like this one, there are other brands.

http://www.migjimenez.com/en/12-burnishing-fluids

(y) :drinks

This is my first effort with metal tracks. My intention is to paint these ones. I did see some You Tube vids of fluids but can't remember the product name at the moment. But I will have a look at the product you mention. Is there any reason why one process would be better than the other or is it just personal pref ?

Some seem to work better than others. The Ammo and the product from Uschi work better for me than Blacken It, I suppose it comes down to availability? Paint works well too, just sand off the tread surfaces to expose shiny metal after paint. :good: B)

Here's a link to one very cool website.

http://www.uschivdr.com/products-in-detail/friul-burnishing/

:ro:

Back