• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Italeri Alfa 2300 FINISHED

Hi john yes the Leno video shows some of the assembly of his Pursang

The reason ( i think) that Italeri didnt use the top tube for the plug wires is the shaft on the end is 1mm dia and it hardly supports its own weight let alone having 8 plug wires going in and 8 out. TBH i suspect the wires would be a hell of a lot stronger than the end shafts and would just bend these shafts under their own springyness ( is that a word ) :)

This might be an answer made from aluminium tube

DSC_4186.JPG

The inlet is larger because realistically i need to get 8 wires in there but its food for thought.
I cant really progress this idea without the bulkhead and radiator fitted as that supports this top tube

The engine in this kit is very nice, fit of parts is good as is detail. this is basically out of box accept a few added nuts etc.

DSC_4205.JPG

One thing i have struggled with is the air intake. at the moment i have left it off as I'm not sure how to make a mesh dome without buying some form tools. The kit gives you a PE frame and some nylon mesh but i cant make anything of it TBH.

the engine will be held in with 4 screws in the 4 holes in the chassis above, the screws supplied are slotted and obviously would not have been in real life. They use the same method to fix the body to the chassis which again will need sorting. Maybe some brass hex heads if i can find a really small tap or use dummy heads and glue the engine to the chassis.

Lots of progress going on in here since I last visited and it all looks splendid. I just love your attention to detail Paddy. It spurs me on to put more into my own builds.

Looking really good Paddy! Almost makes me want to pull out my old Pocher kit and have a go. Would definitely be a better build than my first one back in the 80's.

I think the pocher is even bigger so huge opportunity to add detail Paul...:) Like all these things though you really have to be in the mood for the genre , you cant force it.. I used to build Aires conversions like they were going out of fashion....oh...hang on , they were... but you get that i mean :) you tend to get on a run with things, you need to be inspired to change . I think this is why so many people leave models half built as they run out of interest half way through. Save your pocher for when you really cant wait to get started.

I think the pocher is even bigger so huge opportunity to add detail Paul...:) Like all these things though you really have to be in the mood for the genre , you cant force it.. I used to build Aires conversions like they were going out of fashion....oh...hang on , they were... but you get that i mean :) you tend to get on a run with things, you need to be inspired to change . I think this is why so many people leave models half built as they run out of interest half way through. Save your pocher for when you really cant wait to get started.
Oh yeah, I have the Alpha similar to the kit you have, a Rolls Royce, and a Mercedes. They are all quite large. Several years ago I sold the Bugatti, 911 Porche, and another Alpha Romeo kit that I had. They are definitely not small nor easy as I learned with my first back in the 80's. Part of why they are still boxed up.

I have agonised a bit over the lock wired fixings. I will have to accept a compromise.

DSC_4209.JPG

Initially i used a ingle strand of wire. but it wasnt quite right. the wire dia was 6 thousands of an inch but when i twisted two strands it was too thick to fit in the slot of the screws.
I bought some 1 thou wire but it snapped when i tried to twist it
The picture above is 2 lengths of 3 thou wire twisted and this fits in the screw slot so i will go with this.

Its not technically correct but without the critical view of the macro lens above, to the naked eye it looks good. to get this correct it would have required ( in this scale) 12 thou square bolt heads with a 4 thou hole through the middle, maybe possible with a HD. 3d printer but a step too far for me :)

I drilled the holes in the body for the rivets and screws then found that they come through exactly where the dash sits :) Probably not a surprise as thats what they are for however it means i will either have to flush rivet or move the dash a mm.

DSC_4224.JPG

DSC_4222_01.JPG

Body work is coming along

Italeri Alfa 8C (3).JPG

Italeri Alfa 8C (5).JPG

Back