• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Model Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles.Update 4/30/19

As I thought , the fire wall is the same color as the body . The seal between the body and hood I believe is more like a woven material ( maybe asbestos )

I believe the spokes were some sort of steel ( maybe stainless ) which was part of the pain in the back side as they had to be adjusted from time to time.

Nice pictures Mr. Bob.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian,

You know, I don't remember ever looking under the hood of one of those! If you are certain the firewall was the same color as the body, I'll run with that. My references show both the same and gloss black on the firewall. I have about as many with the firewall black gloss as I do with the car color on the firewall?

11_-MG-TC-1947_copy.jpg

mg-tc-sc_copy.jpg

Since you worked on them at a garage, I'll bow to your knowledge as to firewall color and leave it red. Much less work that way too! :)!

I believe both these compartments have been modified from the original.

Bob

Really don't remember any chrome under the hood of any of them . I still have reservations about the original spokes being painted . Owners spent a lot of time cleaning those things.
At any rate , I doubt anyone would notice.

As I said, though it has been a long time and anyone who has one now will do things to make it easier to keep up looking good .

Cheers, Christian B)

Not much chrome under the hood. Some polished (poorly) aluminum yes, chrome, not so much.

My brain only says "Four cylinder fits in there fine" :hmmm "Wonder how a small block fits?"

:frantic

Maybe something like a Toyota 1.8L or VW 4 cylinder might fit and would probably double the horsepower if not triple it. I doubt anything larger would fit. My Corolla can chirp it's tires at a standing start and launch quite well. In this thing it would scare V8s as this car weighs in at probably 1/2 or less my Corolla. It would need a new transmission and differential as the stock items would break I am sure.

You know, I've looked at at least 50 MGTC engines on the Internet. Not one of them appears to be stock. Nearly the same with the interior. Now, this build is called, "Another World", so...... I'll use the red car above's engine compartment. I'll use another MGTC's interior and build it as an MGTC in America that has been modified. It may not be "Factory Correct", but is is correct for for the one I am building! :yipee

I'll use this engine compartment. As you can see, this example is very close to the one below, so, those are the two that most look alike. The owner of the first one got carried away with the chrome, and adding spare spark plug holders, but, no big deal.

mg-tc-sc_copy.jpg

mg-tc-sc.jpg

1949-mg-tc-1.jpeg

Then, for the interior, I'll use this dashboard as I just happen to like it.

ebay409507.jpg

I'll use the natural leather interior and the black carpeting.

Interior_photo_of_my_MGTC.jpg

mgtc-main-carpet-set.jpg

So, now that I have the plan, I'll get started.

Great discussion guys, I really appreciated it. Lots of help. The problem is, I might spend the entire year researching this, and it isn't a Sherman M4A3E8! :yipee

Onwards and upwards!

Well, I believe I have the answer to the wire wheel controversy. I have went to MG TC clubs and sites that sell spare parts for MGs. Apparently, the MG TC had painted wire wheels only from the factory.

https://mossmotors.com/wire-wheel-painted-19-x2-5-48-spoke-tube-type-mg-tc

Here are photos of restored MG TCs.

1948-mg-tc-beverly-hills-car-club.jpg

4492_p13_l.jpg

63777879-300-0_2x.jpg

6399_main_l.jpg

a-red-1948-mg-tc-on-static-display-at-the-mg-owners-club-zone-of-the-KWN1NN.jpg

car88.jpg

g_wilson.jpg

mg-tc-1-2-1.jpg

MGTC-9.jpg

In all these photos, I can't see chrome anywhere on the wheels but on the knock off hubs.

Then i went to Mg TD and TF clubs and replacement parts companies.

https://mossmotors.com/mg-tc-td-tf/wheels-tires/wheels-knockoffs/wire-wheel-conversion-kit-mg-td-tf?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjOCqldS54QIVlZJbCh1FCgmiEAAYASAAEgJCLfD_BwE

Apparently, the MG TD and TF offered options on wheels. painted wire spokes, Chrome wire spokes and solid wheels with spaced holes. All the below are MG TDs. Note the wheels on each.

Chrome.

mg-td-1952-m4113-002.jpg

Painted.

TD_34-1.jpg

Chrome.

1953-mg-td.jpeg

Solid.

mg-td-11.jpg

Painted.

TD_34-1.jpg

Obviously chrome.

8Initial.jpg

I wasn't all that concerned about the engine or interior, as, even the purist car club owners in Britain aren't very particular with those, but, the wheels seem to be something they don't change much, at least from the hundreds of photos I have looked at.

Bob

Fun car...:popcorn

MP, there are two cars I have always wanted to own. Today, I couldn't afford either. One of the original 10,000 MG TCs they built and the other is a genuine Shelby Cobra AC.

But, we can dream and we can build them in miniature!

Dad

Looks like you have choices Bob. Take your pick and go for it as they all look good!
med3d-ennuye.gif

Thanks Paul,

Yep, I'm doing the red body with the spare spark plug holder under the hood, the walnut dash the natural leather interior and the painted silver wheels. I just etched that in stone! :)

Bob

Model Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles

I was going through some old photographs, scanning them to digital, and found these. This is a Shelby Cobra AC, in 1'16th scale I built way back in 1982, 37 years ago. I had just began competing then and it won a lot of trophies, including a few Best of Shows.

These were taken at a model competition. I have no idea where?

Scan_1.jpeg

Scan_2.jpeg

Scan_3.jpeg

Scan_4.jpeg

Scan_5.jpeg

Scan.jpeg

Please excuse the photography. It was before I learned how to photograph miniatures and most are out of focus due to depth of field.

Thanks for looking in,

Bob

Looks sharp! Do you still have it?

:hmmm Hmmm, 1982 - I was a Freshman in college...

Thanks John!

Wow! I had spent 4 years in the army, graduated with 3 post grad degrees and been a police detective for 20 years. The following year, 1983, I started what would become The VLS corporation and my second career of 23 years! Since then, I've been retired for 14 years. You're either a young whippersnapper or I am as old as Methuselah!

Yep, still do. It's in the museum! Here's a newer photo of it taken a couple of years ago.

Cobr01.jpg

Cobr02.jpg

Bob

Sweet!! :notworthy
I graduated high school in '82 and went in the USAF. Not getting into details of the next 10 blurry years...:drinks

Thanks John!

Well it;s been slow going while I'm on the full blown Chemo. I go in tomorrow for my final treatment of two kinds of chemo. After three weeks, then I am finished with this phase. It seems I have beaten all four stage four cancers, however, they say I will be on a maintenance chemo for the rest of my life. That, so they tell me, is not anywhere near as aggressive as what I've been on for the last 6 months. Very difficult to model during the side effects. They say most people lead normal lives while taking the maintenance chemo! So, Onwards and upwards.

Here are some of the components I have been working on. I'll start with the upholstery. This is a photo of the interior I want to do. Note the piping on the seats and door panels

Interior_photo_of_my_MGTC.jpg

I found the right color, and after a base coat, I use some elastic to do the piping on the leather upholstery. You can buy it in various sizes in most places that sell cloth and sewing materials. It comes with 5 to 8 strips of round runner, in different sizes, attached by a thin membrane of rubber. Just grab an end one and pull. They separate easily and can ne used for piping. for hoses and wiring, all kinds of uses. I attach it with super glue.

gg~15.JPG

I put a drop on a card, then dip one end of the elastic round strip and attach where you want to begin. Then continue laying it on the creases. After painting, it will create a more realistic appearance.

888.JPG

8888.JPG

Then the dash. I wanted a cherry wood dashboard with all the detail of the real car. I have yet to outline the dash with the leather piping the same color as the interior. In fact, The gloss coat I just gave it has yet to settle to a smooth surface. It will after drying. If you notice the far right gauge is white, that's because I used a Klear Coat on the dials and that one has yet to dry.

Here is the dash I am trying to simulate the wood.

ebay409507.jpg
dash

9999~3.JPG

999~2.JPG

This is the engine I intend to replicate as closely as I can. It is not stock, had many modifications, but, I like the way it looks and it has a lot of detail.

mg-tc-sc_copy.jpg

I have got it started. Lots more detail to go.

88888.JPG

I have used some similar data plates from VP, Waldron, etc.

99999~2.JPG

Just beginning to work on the firewall. Lots of wiring as well as painting to come later.

999999~2.JPG

Here is the spare spark plug holder. Not yet painted, so tiny I had problems photographing it.

gggggg~3.JPG

ggggg~8.JPG

Not sure what this detail is. You can see it clearly in the photo of the real car. Attaches to the firewall adjacent to the spare plug holder.

gggg~9.JPG

A lot more detailing on the engine and compartment but here is what I have done so far.

888888.JPG

Another detail I had to scratch for the engine. A supercharger part?

ggg~11.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Back